Audiobus: Your virtual music studio.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help me with handling iOS updates on my iPads

I now have those:

iPad Pro 9.7, iOS 12.4

iPad Pro 12.9, 2nd gen., iOS 12.4

iPad Air 3, iOS 12.2

Technically, I could still jailbreak both iPad Pros, as this seems to be possible with iOS 12.4

Originally, I planned to do this with the 9.7 Pro, let the 12.9 Pro stay at some iOS 12.x and would use iPadOS on the brand new Air.

But now, as the Air arrived with iOS 12.2, I have an iPad that not yet has the recent problems with IAA Apps!

That offers a way to... maybe let the Air at 12.2, still jailbreak the Pro 9.7 and install iPadOS on the 12.9 Pro.

What would you do?!?

:o

Comments

  • wimwim
    edited September 13

    Airplane mode on the new Air 2. Also, forget all wireless network settings, in case wifi gets switched on.
    I wouldn't jailbreak anything. When (if?) the IAA issues get fixed wait for a solid version of iPadOS, come up for air, then go dark again.

  • I would buy 3 more iPads.
    :p

    Sounds like you have a good plan for the Air3.

    I don’t know much about jailbreaking.
    If you feel you can risk bricking the old(!) 9.7 Pro, that would be the only one I would try jailbreaking as well.

    And you are keeping your best device up to date.

    Yes, good all-around plan, I would say.

  • @wim said:
    Airplane mode on the new Air 2. Also, forget all wireless network settings, in case wifi gets switched on.
    I wouldn't jailbreak anything. When (if?) the IAA issues get fixed wait for a solid version of iPadOS, come up for air, then go dark again.

    So you see this as an unexpected opportunity to get back the old IAA behavior and think it is worth saving?
    I was thinking so, but i’m not sure ...

    But without WiFi, this would not help much. Need to get things in an out.
    But i could live with the security risk, i think.

    Didn’t understood what you wrote about iPadOS, air and dark :o

  • @CracklePot said:
    I would buy 3 more iPads.
    :p

    Sounds like you have a good plan for the Air3.

    I don’t know much about jailbreaking.
    If you feel you can risk bricking the old(!) 9.7 Pro, that would be the only one I would try jailbreaking as well.

    And you are keeping your best device up to date.

    Yes, good all-around plan, I would say.

    I was always planning to let the oldest iPad stay at some old iOS version.
    I lost so much when i did not do this before iOS 11 and the 32 bit nightmare.
    And the Pro 9.7 starts to show it’s age.

    So, nothing strange in buying a newer iPad, i think.

    Jailbreaking may just be the best way to have more control over that oldest device.
    And jailbreaks are getting rare!
    So, having one at 12.4 may be one of the last chances.

    Still thinking ...

  • I was just teasing about the 3 more iPads.
    I can’t really talk.
    I have an Air2, an old iPad 2, and an iPod Touch 6th gen.
    It is great to have more than one device.

  • @tja said:
    I now have those:

    iPad Pro 9.7, iOS 12.4

    iPad Pro 12.9, 2nd gen., iOS 12.4

    iPad Air 3, iOS 12.2

    Technically, I could still jailbreak both iPad Pros, as this seems to be possible with iOS 12.4

    Originally, I planned to do this with the 9.7 Pro, let the 12.9 Pro stay at some iOS 12.x and would use iPadOS on the brand new Air.

    But now, as the Air arrived with iOS 12.2, I have an iPad that not yet has the recent problems with IAA Apps!

    That offers a way to... maybe let the Air at 12.2, still jailbreak the Pro 9.7 and install iPadOS on the 12.9 Pro.

    What would you do?!?

    :o

    @tja said:

    @wim said:
    Airplane mode on the new Air 2. Also, forget all wireless network settings, in case wifi gets switched on.
    I wouldn't jailbreak anything. When (if?) the IAA issues get fixed wait for a solid version of iPadOS, come up for air, then go dark again.

    So you see this as an unexpected opportunity to get back the old IAA behavior and think it is worth saving?
    I was thinking so, but i’m not sure ...

    Yes. Fairly new device, known good OS. Lock it down until it's known whether iPadOS is a benefit or a curse for the Air2. If an iPad is expressly set aside for music, then it doesn't necessarily need Internet access. Airdrop uses Bluetooth, and there are ways to limit access to the internet even if wifi is needed temporarily.

    But without WiFi, this would not help much. Need to get things in an out.

    see above.

    Didn’t understood what you wrote about iPadOS, air and dark :o

    I meant, if iPadOS proves to be a safe upgrade at some point for the Air 2, then do an update and then "go dark" by shutting down wifi/internet again to freeze it.

    There's no app or thing I want to do on iOS that's important enough to me to jailbreak. But I wish you luck if you decide to go that way.

  • Many thanks for your input, @CracklePot and @wim!

  • wimwim
    edited September 13

    I'm happy to still have 12.3 on my Air 2, though I haven't gone so far as to take it off wifi since it's my only iPad. Just refusing all the OS updates right now. If a good version of iPad0S that doesn't break anything I'm overly fond or choke the performance, I'll upgrade though for the storage options. Don't care about the rest of it.

    I learned from going one update too far on my iPad 2 that it's better to be careful with updates on devices approaching end of support. What was a perfectly usable, though old, iPad went to being all but useless almost overnight. Other than that I have no reluctance to keep up with iOS versions. I don't want to miss out on any of those amazing new Emojis unless I really have to.

  • @wim said:
    I don't want to miss out on any of those amazing new Emojis unless I really have to.

    :D :p :)

  • It already starts to be difficult with Apple, again.

    I planned to fill the new Air 3 manually, only adding Apps that I really use and not all 900 by recovering from a backup.

    And directly at the beginning, I cannot install "Musi" and "MusicTube" anymore:

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/musi-unlimited-free-music/id591560124?mt=8
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-tube-music-video-play/id1040036079?mt=8

    They do not seem to be available anymore and also not listed in my purchases anymore.

    Cannot tell how much I hate Apple.

    That's one of the reasons why jailbreaking may help

  • And yet ... you keep on buying devices. :D

  • @wim said:
    And yet ... you keep on buying devices. :D

    I may be very stupid and also see no real alternative.

    You can sort of like some product or most of it and still hate the company :-D

  • Yeh. I have had those moments of outrage (like the first time I learned the hard way what "backup and restore" means to Apple) or when my iPad 2 became a paperweight because I caved to their constant hammering to update iOS. But as you say, there's no real alternative, so I accept it. -peace. B)

Sign In or Register to comment.