Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget 2: Recording External Synths?

So I googled and spent time on YouTube but didn’t actually find an answer...

I have a Moog Sirin that I want to control via my Korg NanoKey Studio. The way I think this SHOULD work is I create a Taipei track, send MIDI to my Apogee Duet’s MIDI Out (connected to the Sirin), and receive audio back through a Zurich track.

Problem is, when I connect the NanoKey, Gadget enters an “automap” mode that overrides “Advanced MIDI” mode. This seems to happen regardless of whether I run it in the Native Mode (iOS Settings menu). And in this automap mode, I can’t for the life of me figure out how to send MIDI to one device while I monitor incoming audio on another.

I’ve gotten a reasonable setup working in AUM but for the sake of CPU cycles and setup ease I’d prefer to get this running all within Gadget. And for the record: If I punch something into the piano roll in Taipei then Record-Enable Zurich and hit Play, everything works peachily. But I can’t figure out how to monitor audio while I record the performance into Taipei.

TLDR: how on earth do you monitor audio from an external synth in Gadget?

Comments

• @jrjulius said:
    So I googled and spent time on YouTube but didn’t actually find an answer...

I have a Moog Sirin that I want to control via my Korg NanoKey Studio. The way I think this SHOULD work is I create a Taipei track, send MIDI to my Apogee Duet’s MIDI Out (connected to the Sirin), and receive audio back through a Zurich track.

Problem is, when I connect the NanoKey, Gadget enters an “automap” mode that overrides “Advanced MIDI” mode. This seems to happen regardless of whether I run it in the Native Mode (iOS Settings menu). And in this automap mode, I can’t for the life of me figure out how to send MIDI to one device while I monitor incoming audio on another.

I’ve gotten a reasonable setup working in AUM but for the sake of CPU cycles and setup ease I’d prefer to get this running all within Gadget. And for the record: If I punch something into the piano roll in Taipei then Record-Enable Zurich and hit Play, everything works peachily. But I can’t figure out how to monitor audio while I record the performance into Taipei.

TLDR: how on earth do you monitor audio from an external synth in Gadget?

i don't think you can (as hard to believe as that might sound)

here's a post from @samu a while back lamenting this:

@Samu said:
    There's an even more annoying bug in Gadget that I've yet to find polite and constructive enough words to describe...

Let's say you want to sequence an external midi instrument using Taipei and monitor it thru one of the Audio Gadget like Rosario.

The 'problem' is that in order to hear the incoming audio 'rec' has to be enabled on the audio track...

Problem is that when trying to sequence or edit the pattern using Taipei the 'rec' gets disabled so it's not possible to 'hear' the external instrument.

Suggestion is to add a 'mon' option to each audio gadget that doesn't get disabled when editing the other gadgets.

• I just tried to connect my nanokey studio via Bluetooth to Gadget (I switched off native mode in settings) and I was able to turn on advanced midi mode.

I don’t have any midi hardware to test, but I can play an instrument (or Taipei) and have rec turned on on Zurich.

Try restarting Gagdet after you switch off native mode, or do it before you launch Gadget.