Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Integrating the Roland JD-Xi into the iOS world?

Pros & cons? Anyone doing it? Needlessly redundant given the plethora of amazing apps? Great addition to rounding out the functionality of iOS apps because the Roland JD-Xi does things iOS apps can't, and visa versa ? If all one wants is a keyboard controller, there are much better choices for less? For the cost, you'd be better off buying a second iPad? I have no idea what I'm doing here, but I'll respond for the hell of it? Oh, I almost forgot I can buy a used Roland JD-Xi for $250 USD, and I own an iPad Air 2 128 and iPad Pro 10.5 512, as well as a bunch of other stuff, but I do not have an all-in-one mini keyboard synth.

Comments

• I don’t think the JD-Xi’s took off into the popular market in the way that might have been expected. I had one- but only kept it for a short while. Roland do this patch site thing where you can get free patches for it- but it never seems to grow much. Why don’t you save up another few bucks and get a Microfreak?

• edited August 2019

Previously owned Novation X Station is a good choice. Class compliant audio/midi interface and a very nice sounding synth with full size keys. Pretty sure it can run off batteries too?

Edit: Yep batteries or USB will power it, can also use it as an effects unit!

• Had one for a little while- great sounds and a really fast and intuitive sequencer, but the mini keys were just not fun to play, so that was a deal breaker for me.

P.s. this isn’t a criticism of mini keys per se (the keys on e.g. the Arturia mini lab II or the Yamaha reface series are decent); the JD-XI keys just feel cheap/easily breakable.