Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drums, playback and wireless click

I have a band. We’re playing something like NIN, Ladytron, Phantogram, IAMX. Today we’ve got a new drummer (were playing with drum machines previously). My main DAW on iOS is a BM3. Also I have Cubasis and AUM. My drummer uses Soundbrenner metronome. Because of rhythms, backing tracks we need to be very synced.
So here’s a deal. I would like to start playback of my written tracks in Cubasis or BM3, disable there drums so there’s only a drummer. But here are the problems:
1. Cubasis has no Ableton link. So to connect Soundbrenner to Cubasis is to use midi Bluetooth. But it is weird. I had 120 bpm track in Cubasis, on drummer’s phone was 340, etc. Something weird is happening. But it starts perfectly.
2. Beatmaker 3 has Ableton link, but it’s not updated. No real start and it’s tempo runs away when I’m changing songs.
3. AUM has no midi sequencer, it is not a DAW. If I wasn’t doing my songs in mobile DAWs I would use it, but it’s not.

So what is next? I really would like to sync with a drummer wirelessly.

Comments

• edited August 2019

Get yourself Audiobus.
    Cubasis can send Midi Clock to Audiobus, and Audiobus can use that to control a Link session simultaneously.

The only issue is you have to leave a blank measure at the beginning in Cubasis, because Audiobus starts the Link session at the next bar, or measure 2.

Also, in Audiobus, when choosing the Midi Clock source, choose Virtual Midi instead of Cubasis. Cubasis sends Midi Clock to the generic Virtual Midi port, not its named port.

You use Cubasis transport to start/stop everything, not the Audiobus transport.

• And you have to make any tempo changes from Cubasis, not Audiobus or Soundbrenner. Cubasis won't follow tempo, only set it.

• @CracklePot said:
    Get yourself Audiobus.
    Cubasis can send Midi Clock to Audiobus, and Audiobus can use that to control a Link session simultaneously.

The only issue is you have to leave a blank measure at the beginning in Cubasis, because Audiobus starts the Link session at the next bar, or measure 2.

Also, in Audiobus, when choosing the Midi Clock source, choose Virtual Midi instead of Cubasis. Cubasis sends Midi Clock to the generic Virtual Midi port, not its named port.

You use Cubasis transport to start/stop everything, not the Audiobus transport

That’s too complicated. I wish I had something with two clicks. Soon I’ll get multiout interface. But wireless connection with a drummer is a great feature.

• @wim said:
    And you have to make any tempo changes from Cubasis, not Audiobus or Soundbrenner. Cubasis won't follow tempo, only set it.

I see that in case of Cubasis it can be midi slave... So it is not possible to sync it through Bluetooth midi to Soundbrenner as a host?

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@eve_ripper said:

@wim said:
    And you have to make any tempo changes from Cubasis, not Audiobus or Soundbrenner. Cubasis won't follow tempo, only set it.

I see that in case of Cubasis it can be midi slave... So it is not possible to sync it through Bluetooth midi to Soundbrenner as a host?

I don't think Cubasis can be a midi clock slave. The MIDI over Bluetooth options for "Host" and "Client" only refer to the Bluetooth connection role. I don’t think this includes receiving clock. It seems that way because its right below send clock in the settings, but it’s not related.

From the manual:

There are two ways to connect with another MIDI device:

Host mode will open a selection window showing discoverable devices. Once paired with a client, the paired device will become selectable as MIDI input / output in the Inspector's Routing section. Best used when utilizing Cubasis as central DAW with MIDI hardware or a second iPad as client.

As Client, turning on Advertise MIDI Service makes your iPad visible to other devices seeking a connection. Once you've confirmed the host device's pairing request and a connection is established, select the host device as MIDI input / output in the Inspector's Routing section. Best used when connecting to a second host iPad or Mac.

It might send clock over Bluetooth, though. I haven’t tried that.

• @eve_ripper said:

@CracklePot said:
    Get yourself Audiobus.

You use Cubasis transport to start/stop everything, not the Audiobus transport

That’s too complicated. I wish I had something with two clicks. Soon I’ll get multiout interface. But wireless connection with a drummer is a great feature.

Not really that complicated, for me anyway.
    Good luck.