Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

If anyone wants to jailbreak

If you have wanted to jailbreak a modern release of iOS, the time has come. Been awhile!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvgp77/hacker-releases-first-public-iphone-jailbreak-in-years

If you are on 12.3 or 12.3.1, you will need to upgrade to 12.4 while you still can (keeping in mind the Audiobus PSA above). Sounds as if any version of iOS except 12.3 and 12.3.1 will be open to using this jailbreak with this toolkit.

Apple will patch it in an imminent 12.4.1 release, but they cannot retroactively patch any device already out there on the vulnerable versions. If you are on one of those, as long as you don't upgrade in the future to 12.4.1 or later, you can always jailbreak at a later date. If you are on 12.3 or 12.3.1, you will need to upgrade to 12.4 while it is still possible.

Comments

• I was always jailbroken up until a couple years ago. Any current tweaks that you can recommend?

• I remember using split screen , night shift , files on iOS / devices that did not support those features by jailbraking in the past .
    Now I am curious what’s the benefit

• @Korakios said:
    I remember using split screen , night shift , files on iOS / devices that did not support those features by jailbraking in the past .
    Now I am curious what’s the benefit

Same here. My main use for jailbreak used to be file management. iFile was the stuff
    I know some apps are still too "contained" because of the sandbox model, but the Files App helps a lot already

• The only reason for to jailbreak would be to have full access to the files on my device and go 'sample hunting' inside app-bundles :D

• edited August 2019

@Samu said:
    The only reason for to jailbreak would be to have full access to the files on my device and go 'sample hunting' inside app-bundles :D

Many apps don't give you access to even your own files except by using them inside the app. That's still a huge advantage of a jailbreak over stock iOS.
    Some support the files app, some support iTunes file sharing, some offer WiFi file sharing, some support Dropbox, some support iCloud, some support WebDAV. No standard way of reliable file access at all.

• edited August 2019

I use an Android phone for my phone normally, but my current phone has issues and there's nothing on the market right now that's not super expensive that I want, and looks like a couple months at least before new phones actually come out that I'd be interested in. but I can't wait until then, I need to replace this phone before my next business trip. I was waffling on getting a used iPhone for a bit tho because there was just some things that bothered me the last time I tried using an iPhone (OS things that bother me on phone but not on my iPad for whatever reason)

i only just remembered that jailbreaking was a thing and decided to go with it because then I could use tweaks to fix the things that bugged me, figuring I could just resell it anyway for almost as much as I was buying it in a few months if I don't want to keep it long-term. that was before I learned of this new 12.4 jailbreak too, which really makes for good timing for deciding to use an iPhone for a while

otherwise all I really wanna do is make the full iM1 app run on phone, even if it is kinda small

• Do people actually buy software for iOS who have JailBroken their iPhones?

• @echoopera said:
    Do people actually buy software for iOS who have JailBroken their iPhones?

Yes.

We first “try” every single app we can find.
    Then the phone starts heating up randomly from bugs/spyware and starts feeling like an Android.

Then we spend hours trying to optimize it so that it doesn’t feel like an Android and as soon as we’ve got it all perfect, Apple releases an update so we start all over again.

Eventually we realize that it isn’t worth the hassle and stop jailbreaking.

This is when we start to miss our favorite “borrowed” apps and start buying them.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2019

@Samu said:
    The only reason for to jailbreak would be to have full access to the files on my device and go 'sample hunting' inside app-bundles :D

I tired that with BeatHawk to see if I could find the samples or even be able to copy my samples folder to the app.i couldn’t see the downloaded files, but I was able to create a folders and copy my samples..now I just wish it works well with Cubasis.
    I also tried With AudioLayer to see if I could find the instruments on my iPad since I turn of iCloud, I was able to see the and folders of my instruments and samples.i can now back them up

• edited August 2019

@StudioES said:
    Does jailbreaking help an iPad dedicated to music-making? For better performance? More AUs? Less CPU? Free more RAM?
    i.e. - like modifying Windows Services, Registry, Autoruns, etc. to get rid of the bloat on digital audio PCs.
    Can jailbreaking on iOS do similar things?

Today, the main reason left IMHO is unlimited file access like on your desktop or laptop. Many tweaks invented by the jailbreak community have found their way into stock iOS over the years because they were very useful and what people wanted.
    Apple could give users full file access (after answering the usual security confirmations) but for some reason the US gov seems more eligible than the actual owner of the files.

A jailbreak won't help performance in any way. What you experience with Windows is a similar phenomenon like we know from Android: The OS will eventually "self-destruct" by regularly adding updates, extensions, enhancements and whatever bloat the OS manufacturer wants you to run on the machine, or whatever bloat you install.
    The iOS concept is different in one aspect: Hardware and software come from the same company and there is no such thing as installing OS level drivers or extensions (without a jailbreak of course) so the only software affecting your iPad performance is the iOS version number.

• @Samu said:

Not true there is also a free in app purchase tweak. Im not saying go straight to Auria Pro lol but there is more to jailbreaking than meets the eye

• @Sonicflux said:
    I was always jailbroken up until a couple years ago. Any current tweaks that you can recommend?

I plan to jailbreak a work iPad, because we need it to see what our own developers are doing inside iOS. But I probably won't break my own iPad. Not sure what the advantage would be. Though the access to files is not nothing.

@jolico said:
    Eventually we realize that it isn’t worth the hassle and stop jailbreaking.

Yes. Too true. It becomes a maintenance chore, a lot more than it is without.

@Paa89 said:
    I tired that with BeatHawk to see if I could find the samples or even be able to copy my samples folder to the app.i couldn’t see the downloaded files, but I was able to create a folders and copy my samples.

Now that's useful. Not reason enough to jailbreak, but clearly useful. Same for backing up without iCloud.

@StudioES said:
    Does jailbreaking help an iPad dedicated to music-making? For better performance? More AUs? Less CPU? Free more RAM?

I believe it may allow you to overclock the processors. Certainly true on Android jailbroken devices, but can't recall about about the iOS jailbreaks.

RAM is all going to be managed by the OS. I don't think you can increase virtual RAM, but maybe. That's a diminishing return and Apple does a better job than me at managing and optimizing memory access.

The main clear advantage, as has been pointed out here, is access to the filesystem to copy on or copy off, samples and settings and backups and the like.

@rs2000 said:
    A jailbreak won't help performance in any way.

I seem to recall jailbreak options to overclock CPU, but I have rooted Palm, Android and iOS devices, so could have been any of them that I'm confusing.

I found that jailbreaking negatively impacted performance, due to the cruft and bugginess of the Cydia system but it's been awhile, and things may have improved.

• @echoopera said:
    Do people actually buy software for iOS who have JailBroken their iPhones?

not for us musicians but you can get free in app purchases tweak not saying ive ever done it lol

• @Shazamm said:

@Samu said:

Not true there is also a free in app purchase tweak. Im not saying go straight to Auria Pro lol but there is more to jailbreaking than meets the eye

I’m quite aware of that...
    Lots of good utilities too that don’t really qualify for the AppStore ;)

But for me full access to all the files on the device is still one of the main reasons to Jailbreak if needed...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2019

@StudioES said:
    ... So that got me wondering if jailbreaking 12.4 would give me a similar kick, but only if I'm able to disable or completely remove system stuff that I don't need. Sort of like what we can do with Linux.

I have experimented with that many years ago under iOS 5 and yes, you can do that but you will have a very hard time finding enough information about all the processes and their dependencies. Some are known to be safe to disable, others aren't.
    There is some common knowledge found by reverse engineering but it's far from complete and I would say: Don't waste your time.
    Linux is fully documented, iOS isn't.

Also don't forget that it isn't only the number of processes running what makes your device slow, even the essential core processes evolve over time and will still run well on later hardware but slower on previous models.

I've come to simply accept that iOS still has a long way to go to actually be an acceptable desktop replacement and I'm using it for what it's good at.

• It would be nice if in a jailbreak you could tweak the OS to stop it from giving priority to graphics over audio, but I doubt that exists or will ever....probably my main annoyance is the cpu spike with Graphics popping up.

• Noise IAP packs are just collections of Equator patches, but many of the best ones (such as the Floatation pack) are inexplicably unavailable for desktop Equator. Jailbreaking lets you extract the presets and samples and install them to your user presets on desktop. Even if you're not a heavy Equator user, it's a masterclass in sound design for MPE to see how ROLI's patches are built.

• @Carnbot said:
    It would be nice if in a jailbreak you could tweak the OS to stop it from giving priority to graphics over audio, but I doubt that exists or will ever....probably my main annoyance is the cpu spike with Graphics popping up.

If a developer decides to prioritize graphics over audio in his app then there's not much that you can do about it, and that's the main cause of troubles for sure.

• I’m gonna say it: I wish no iOS musician would jailbreak their iOS devices that are being used for playing/recording/performing music.
    This is mostly because of my perception (I could be wrong) on how it affects our iOS music developers. The financial profit per time investment is already so small in iOS music apps, and troubleshooting issues related to JB devices is just another task that should not be asked of developers.
    It seems selfish for a user to introduce JB instability and issues that inevitably will require dev time and energy.

Of course if you are a conscientious JB user, go for it but just do the iOS music community a favor and:

• buy your music apps. We need our devs to have a sustainable income
    • troubleshoot your own issues. Keep a non-JB device. If you have music app problems on JB, then test it on standard iOS first and don’t bother devs if the issue is clearly related to your JB version.
  • @rs2000 said:

@Carnbot said:
    It would be nice if in a jailbreak you could tweak the OS to stop it from giving priority to graphics over audio, but I doubt that exists or will ever....probably my main annoyance is the cpu spike with Graphics popping up.

If a developer decides to prioritize graphics over audio in his app then there's not much that you can do about it, and that's the main cause of troubles for sure.

I don't think the developer can choose, it's iOS by default which prioritizes the graphics thread over the audio thread something I hope that Apple will address one day. But developers will have more knowledge than me about this, but have discussed it with devs previously...

• @Hmtx said:
    I’m gonna say it: I wish no iOS musician would jailbreak their iOS devices that are being used for playing/recording/performing music.
    This is mostly because of my perception (I could be wrong) on how it affects our iOS music developers. The financial profit per time investment is already so small in iOS music apps, and troubleshooting issues related to JB devices is just another task that should not be asked of developers.
    It seems selfish for a user to introduce JB instability and issues that inevitably will require dev time and energy.

Of course if you are a conscientious JB user, go for it but just do the iOS music community a favor and:

• troubleshoot your own issues. Keep a non-JB device. If you have music app problems on JB, then test it on standard iOS first and don’t bother devs if the issue is clearly related to your JB version.

The only reason I did jailbrake was to see if I could locate my AudioLayer instruments, since I don’t use the iCloud storage option and all my instruments are on my iPad memory.
    I was able to see them and back up.i have over 7 GB of instruments, imagine having to download instruments all the time or not be able to download when there is no connection available.

• @Carnbot said:

@rs2000 said:

@Carnbot said:

I don't think the developer can choose, it's iOS by default which prioritizes the graphics thread over the audio thread something I hope that Apple will address one day. But developers will have more knowledge than me about this, but have discussed it with devs previously...

Things might have changed in recent iOS versions but if Apple's dev docs are still up to date, the dev can indeed choose to re-adjust thread priority:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Multithreading/CreatingThreads/CreatingThreads.html
    And...
    https://medium.com/@abhimuralidharan/understanding-threads-in-ios-5b8d7ab16f09

Of course there are other concepts to consider too, like non-blocking code etc.

• edited August 2019

@Paa89 said:
    The only reason I did jailbrake was to see if I could locate my AudioLayer instruments, since I don’t use the iCloud storage option and all my instruments are on my iPad memory.
    I was able to see them and back up.i have over 7 GB of instruments, imagine having to download instruments all the time or not be able to download when there is no connection available.

Cool, no issues with you on that good sir ;-) when there are apps that just don’t have any way to access samples or instrument files that you have purchased.

In your specific case, I would have looked into the Files app integration. AudioLayer puts all instruments in a folder that can be viewed in Files (and then easy transfer to network-attached hard drive, etc.) it seems that would be easier than JB

• @rs2000 said:

@Carnbot said:

@rs2000 said:

@Carnbot said:

Things might have changed in recent iOS versions but if Apple's dev docs are still up to date, the dev can indeed choose to re-adjust thread priority:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Multithreading/CreatingThreads/CreatingThreads.html
    And...
    https://medium.com/@abhimuralidharan/understanding-threads-in-ios-5b8d7ab16f09

Of course there are other concepts to consider too, like non-blocking code etc.

Hopefully you're right, although I've not noticed any recent improvements so maybe developers don't know this? Maybe ios 13 has improved things.

• edited August 2019

So Jailbreaking allows users to download apps without paying Developers from illegal app stores which have cracked apps?

Is that correct?

“File Management Needs” aside of course. 🤔🤨

• @Hmtx said:
    I’m gonna say it: I wish no iOS musician would jailbreak their iOS devices that are being used for playing/recording/performing music.

exactly my thoughts.I've seen it more often in the past.User complained about "buggy" app, developer had no idea what's going on. And at the the very end it turns out there was a JB involved...

• Jail broke till about 2 years ago.
    File access was great
    Also could download lots of apps for free...
    But I decided after using an app for more than a month, I would buy it... support the app Devs etc
    So a good way to test out apps , but I guess lots of other people might not buy after trying like I did.
    Didn't have any negatives
    But just can't be bothered anymore, apple have baked in lots of the good tweaks... I believe there is a need for the jailbreaking community, to keep apple on their toes.
    Happy with my set up right now, so not gonna bother
    But don't be scared, go for it !!