Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JazzDrum Loops World Easiest Beat Machine Free for Limited Time Only - jam on

I'm making my beats free to the AudioBus community. Please rate and review i am getting killed in the reviews from 2015 before I had Audiobus installed.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/jazz-drum-loops/id438859110?ls=1

Boutique Jazz Beats with Intuitive Design. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Outros UI with large buttons and minimal sliders for easy play. Great jam app, no learning curve. Going back to 2.99 in three days, get it now... I just listed it free 3:12 EST USA Apple might take an hour to process but I assure you it will be free. Thanks for all your support. Send your track to my SoundCloud at the website on the app

Comments

• Thanks for this.
    Whilst these are undoubtedly very nice loops, and very well played, it’s a misnomer to call them Jazz.
    I was hoping for some swing, bebop or hard bop grooves and maybe some ride patterns but these are basically slow funk with a jazzy twist.

There is a real dearth of genuine jazz drum grooves on iOS, to my knowledge Drum Perfect Pro is the only app the offers them (as an IAP).
    Haven’t tried Drum Session so don’t know about that.
    Soft Drummer can be made to sound like a jazz brush kit but often you need sticks rather than brushes/rods.

So I am grateful for the loops that this app provides (and that they are available for free!) but disappointed that they are not what I was expecting!

• @TimRussell said:
    Thanks for this.
    Whilst these are undoubtedly very nice loops, and very well played, it’s a misnomer to call them Jazz.
    I was hoping for some swing, bebop or hard bop grooves and maybe some ride patterns but these are basically slow funk with a jazzy twist.

There is a real dearth of genuine jazz drum grooves on iOS, to my knowledge Drum Perfect Pro is the only app the offers them (as an IAP).
    Haven’t tried Drum Session so don’t know about that.
    Soft Drummer can be made to sound like a jazz brush kit but often you need sticks rather than brushes/rods.

So I am grateful for the loops that this app provides (and that they are available for free!) but disappointed that they are not what I was expecting!

Drumgenius is for you.
    https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/drumgenius/id492279351

• Flo26 is right. But hey this app is alright at the loops provided. I left the developer a good review. Glad to see this one on the Bus!

• I have the jazz IAP for DPP which covers a lot of bases.
    Can you export the loops in Drum Genius? Would be wanting to use them in Cubasis

• I asked the same question as TimRussell, back in January 2018, and no responses.

I don't know why DrumGenius does not show up in AUM or AudioBus....

What is the "Jazz IAP for DPP"? I have DPP and it sucks for real Jazz, so I'd be interested in what is needed to make it sing. Thanks...

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    I asked the same question as TimRussell, back in January 2018, and no responses.

I don't know why DrumGenius does not show up in AUM or AudioBus....

What is the "Jazz IAP for DPP"? I have DPP and it sucks for real Jazz, so I'd be interested in what is needed to make it sing. Thanks...

In what way do you think DPP is deficient for jazz? Do you mean writing drum parts from scratch? Or you don't like the patterns that come with it?

The jazz IAP has kits and patterns geared towards to jazzz.

• I'm not a drummer (saxophonist / pianist), and just tried the patterns, and quite frankly, I can't figure it out. It's way too complicated! And LumBeats (I just bought "Soft Drummer"), is not how an actual Jazz drummer plays. SD sounds like a robot. In contrast, Drum Genius is Mickey Roker (I actually played with him!), Jo Jones, etc., MIDIfied. It's repetitive, but it sounds like the real deal. What's a "Jazz IAP")? My iPad Pro is my only Apple product; I don't know a lot of the lingo or how things work. I have zero knowledge why DG doesn't work in AUM or Audiobus. Ditto iRealBook. It would be great if they did. BTW, always Jazz, with caps.

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    I'm not a drummer (saxophonist / pianist), and just tried the patterns, and quite frankly, I can't figure it out. It's way too complicated! And LumBeats (I just bought "Soft Drummer"), is not how an actual Jazz drummer plays. SD sounds like a robot. In contrast, Drum Genius is Mickey Roker (I actually played with him!), Jo Jones, etc., MIDIfied. It's repetitive, but it sounds like the real deal. What's a "Jazz IAP")? My iPad Pro is my only Apple product; I don't know a lot of the lingo or how things work. I have zero knowledge why DG doesn't work in AUM or Audiobus. Ditto iRealBook. It would be great if they did. BTW, always Jazz, with caps.

IAP means in-app purchase (not an Apple-specific phrase, btw). Here is their demo of parts created with the jazz pack:

DPP is capable of impressive realism, but it is intended for composing/arranging your parts rather than a set it and forget app. With SoftDrummer did you turn up the swing and experiment with different intensity levels?

DrumGenius does sound very good.

• Yes, I did that with SD .... it's just not realistic. It's cool and of course the flexibility is great (none of that in DG), but it's not the real deal... DG is as "close" on iPad that I've seen. I may even have the "extras" in DPP. I'll check tonight. Time to play music in NYC right now!

• If you customise the kit in SD you can get it to sound pretty close to real jazz drums, but of course you are limited to brushes/rods.
    The jazz in-app purchase in DPP I feel is very good but does take a lot of time to get your head around. it is the most realistic you can get on iOS, but let’s face it, jazz drumming is a different art to rock/funk and not as easy to replicate artificially.
    Drum programming on iOS is heavily biased towards electronic/repetitive styles which are extremely easy to program in comparison to creating a part that sounds like an actual human drummer.

• edited September 2019

@ TimRussell, let's make a bebop app. My goal was to make the simplest beat machine possible. An App that everybody on the planet can see and play instantly with no programming or sequencing understanding. If you can create 30 bebop drum loops all in the same tempo that mix well together, we can bring bebop to the iOS world. Breaks, fills, intro, outro, verse, chorus, brushes rods sticks mallets and whatever else you make. We will create BeBop Drum Loops. If you interested let me know, right now i am flooded with projects but we can develop this slowly.

• I do clarify that the non-Jazz grooves in SD are excellent! Since I'm a Jazz musician since the month before Woodstock, I am pretty picky..... I agree with Tim's comments above re: programming ease. The DG grooves are plucked from some of the all-time great cats verbatim, and thus sound proper. They were not made from scratch. Of course they are static, whereas SD is changeable, which is great. Ah, to combine the two... What parts would be eliminated in SD to make it sound less cheesy?

• DrumAppDev -

For Windows (and I assume Mac), there is such a program, which uses a real Jazz drummer. I think you need to do that for iOS as well. There is so much subtlety involved. Verse Chorus is not used in Jazz drumming; that's a singer-songwriter term. Instead, there is simple A-B-C. The grooves are sometimes different altogether between A and B; listen to "I'll Remember April" with Clifford Brown, Sonny Rollins and Max Roach (drummer, one of the all time best). uTube it. Often though, the grooves are not so dissimilar. What does matter is that they are responsive; you'd need AI for this!

BTW, I have a music related app on the drawing table and am in search of an app developer. My computer programmer nephew assures me it is possible, but is too busy printing money to get involved. Do you know any? I'm in New Jersey near NYC. Thanks, Jeff

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    I do clarify that the non-Jazz grooves in SD are excellent! Since I'm a Jazz musician since the month before Woodstock, I am pretty picky..... I agree with Tim's comments above re: programming ease. The DG grooves are plucked from some of the all-time great cats verbatim, and thus sound proper. They were not made from scratch. Of course they are static, whereas SD is changeable, which is great. Ah, to combine the two... What parts would be eliminated in SD to make it sound less cheesy?

I think there are a few things to keep in mind with SD. One is that "jazz" is of course a hugely broad term. SD won't (and I don't think is intended to be) be a suitable replacement for a driving jazz drummer who swings like heck and implies groove by playing around it. This isn't Jack DeJohnette or Tony Williams or ... substitute your fave.

But, for some sorts of jazz and jazz-influenced playing, one can get pretty natural sounding playing of the sort one might get from a competent non-virtuosic drummer that simply keeps the feel and provides the occasional fill. Most of the grooves are kind of all-purpose grooves that can sit comfortably behind and ensemble without sticking out as a robot and is great for practicing with -- if one isn't playing driving swing.

That being said, you can probably make it more suitable for casual jazz by programming in patterns that are to your liking. For practicing, I use a few of the simpler patterns -- but occasionally have entered my open if there was a particular feel that I wanted. It might be worthwhile to find some Drum Genius grooves you like and enter them. Granted, it doesn't have the sort of micro-timing freedom of a real jazz drummer which is where so many great jazz drummers shine. So, it probably won't ever be as satisfying to play with as a great jazz player.

• edited September 2019

Sure, it's not a real Jazz drummer. BTW, I may have a chance to play with Jack DeJohnette! As to SD, I have not fiddled with subtracting any parts; some of the fills are particularly bad - like a Rock drummer who can't play Jazz (although many do; no knocks intended) trying to do so. But DG has the goods already... You say I can import some of them into SD? That would be groovy (pun intended...). My intention is high paying corporate and wedding gigs with a mobile system, not practicing. How to do THAT (the import)? Thanks....

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Sure, it's not a real Jazz drummer. BTW, I may have a chance to play with Jack DeJohnette! As to SD, I have not fiddled with subtracting any parts; some of the fills are particularly bad - like a Rock drummer who can't play Jazz (although many do; no knocks intended) trying to do so. But DG has the goods already... You say I can import some of them into SD? That would be groovy (pun intended...). My intention is high paying corporate and wedding gigs with a mobile system, not practicing. How to do THAT (the import)? Thanks....

Not so much import them as program them in. You can create your own patterns. So, basically transcribe a groove from DG and enter it in SD.

• Skyscrapersax- BTW, I have a music related app on the drawing table and am in search of an app developer. My computer programmer nephew assures me it is possible, but is too busy printing money to get involved. Do you know any? I'm in New Jersey near NYC. Thanks, Jeff

email me, [email protected] The first and most important step would be to draw it put and know exactly what you want. I'll send you to the guy i go to when i cant get bugs out.

• "Not so much import them as program them in. You can create your own patterns. So, basically transcribe a groove from DG and enter it in SD."

there's no way I can do that! That's basically what the DG creator did. WAY above my pay grade as a saxophonist / pianist!

• @DrumAppDev said:
    Skyscrapersax- BTW, I have a music related app on the drawing table and am in search of an app developer. My computer programmer nephew assures me it is possible, but is too busy printing money to get involved. Do you know any? I'm in New Jersey near NYC. Thanks, Jeff

email me, [email protected] The first and most important step would be to draw it put and know exactly what you want. I'll send you to the guy i go to when i cant get bugs out.

Thanks, I'll send you an email.