Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Nice. In principle, it's a lot like Eventide's Hotsawz algorithm.

• First videos rolling in

• edited July 2019

Seems not to have the amazing SPAWN feature though

• This is waaayyy fun. The presets don’t do much for me, but I’m dialin’ in some huge sounds. And being able to have the arp hit selective voices is real nice.

@OscarSouth, this might do for the octave FX you were looking for.

• Latency? After spending way too much money I have stopped using iOS to process guitar “in the box” because of the unacceptable latency. I record guitar in iOS piped in from hardware modeling boxes. How is latency in Roxsyn?

• @david_2017 said:
    First videos rolling in

Rosyn :D

• So is this an audio effect i or an instrument

• Effect that acts like a synth .
    I’d prefer adding this as IAP on ToneStack

• @reasOne said:
    So is this an audio effect i or an instrument

I would say in between...You cannot play music out of this app alone, you have to give it a source of song. On the other hand, it is not really an effect because the outcome doesn't change a lot if you change the source of song. For example, if your source is a piano or a guitar, you won't hear differences. But if your source has a tremolo or not, you will sometimes hear a difference...a lot of fun here!

• @Korakios said:
    Effect that acts like a synth .
    I’d prefer adding this as IAP on ToneStack

@cuscolima said:

@reasOne said:
    So is this an audio effect i or an instrument

I would say in between...You cannot play music out of this app alone, you have to give it a source of song. On the other hand, it is not really an effect because the outcome doesn't change a lot if you change the source of song. For example, if your source is a piano or a guitar, you won't hear differences. But if your source has a tremolo or not, you will sometimes hear a difference...a lot of fun here!

excellent! That sounds really freaking cool!!! Hope to see more videos of this in action

• edited July 2019

No wonder it 'tracks' perfectly. It's just a synth harmonizer pedal with a filter and LFOs. Take the octave up to 0 from -1 (as most of the presets are set at) and have all the fun ruined. This really should've been a pedal in Tonestack instead of touted as some leap forward in guitar tracking technology. And it sounds crappy. Refunded!

• I've got the MIDI Guitar apps, full IAP's, and have just used it sparingly. But for $10 I'll try another; Yonac has never let me down as far as being pleased with their apps. Even if I don't use them everyday I like supporting the company. I'm in...

• @oat_phipps said:
    No wonder it 'tracks' perfectly. It's just a synth harmonizer pedal with a filter and LFOs. Take the octave up to 0 from -1 (as most of the presets are set at) and have all the fun ruined. This really should've been a pedal in Tonestack instead of touted as some leap forward in guitar tracking technology. And it sounds crappy. Refunded!

Did you try the arpeggiator before you returned it? I’m curious about that.

• @ALB said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah, you have to set the pattern, i.e. root note (0), (4), (7), (12). It doesn't work like MIDI guitar where it detects the actual chords you play...cause there's no tracking going on, it's just a guitar effects pedal in essence.

• This looks awesome and what I was looking for. I'll definitely be using it in UDAGAN performances in the future -- recently moved back to the UK though and in the process of getting set up here so no cash for new sounds right now.

• @oat_phipps said:

@ALB said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah, you have to set the pattern, i.e. root note (0), (4), (7), (12). It doesn't work like MIDI guitar where it detects the actual chords you play...cause there's no tracking going on, it's just a guitar effects pedal in essence.

Oh. 😕

• I have the electro harmonic bass microsynth pedal, without having heard this app yet, sounds like a similar concept? Bass microsynth sounds amazing. I haven’t been into using iOS for much music anymore lately, so I don’t think I’ll be buying the app, but it does sound like a good concept.

• I like the sounds we are capable of making with this app. The latency is somewhat acceptable (but not great). Tone stack has a lot less latency. Lowering the buffer helps but also introduces a lot of crackling noises when switching apps (iPad Pro 9,7" 2016)

The app definitely needs a Master volume for the overall app output in addition to the already present master volume per preset. The current master knob should probably be called volume and not master since it only works per preset.

But my biggest gripe so far with the app is the Trigger/gate. No matter which preset i use or regardless of what sensitivity i set the Trigger to, it always closes the 'gate' after playing for a few seconds. And then the app output becomes completely silent and remains that way even if i continue to play additional notes and clearly can see the input meter jumping. I have a plenty hot and clear input signal through my iRig Pro interface, and yet still the Trigger stops working after a while. I am forced to completely mute all strings and interrupt my playing for a half second or more so the Trigger will become active again. Or sometimes it just doesn't trigger at all anymore and i need to switch to another preset altogether to get some sound back. And of course this completely kills the flow and makes this app unreliable and pretty useless for uninterrupted guitar playing.

I hope Yonac can fix the trigger and add a Master output knob (place it above the i/o meters for instance) and i think we got another winner from Yonac here.

• any body have any videos showing in in action?

• I think the biggest thing out of this is that Tonestack made a "guitar" app that is AUv3...

• I haven’t quite got my head around the app yet but I find the same as you - it keeps cutting out whatever the preset and despite having a good signal. Shame, cos the idea really appeals to me.

@Dutchee said:.

But my biggest gripe so far with the app is the Trigger/gate. No matter which preset i use or regardless of what sensitivity i set the Trigger to, it always closes the 'gate' after playing for a few seconds. And then the app output becomes completely silent and remains that way even if i continue to play additional notes and clearly can see the input meter jumping. I have a plenty hot and clear input signal through my iRig Pro interface, and yet still the Trigger stops working after a while. I am forced to completely mute all strings and interrupt my playing for a half second or more so the Trigger will become active again. Or sometimes it just doesn't trigger at all anymore and i need to switch to another preset altogether to get some sound back. And of course this completely kills the flow and makes this app unreliable and pretty useless for uninterrupted guitar playing.

• @mjcouche said:
    I think the biggest thing out of this is that Tonestack made a "guitar" app that is AUv3...

That was my takeaway...this guitar synth isn't my cup of tea but I think it shows Tonestack auv3 should definitely be on the horizon.

• What I read from the App description sounds like you need a guitar for this?
    Really not sure :o

• If you check out the posted video, it shows the user playing GeoShred I think and the sound being fed onto Roxsyn and being arped. Sounds very good to me though.

@tja said:
    What I read from the App description sounds like you need a guitar for this?

@tja said:

• edited July 2019

@tja said:

See the demo above using GeoShred as the input.

• @ajmiller said:
    I haven’t quite got my head around the app yet but I find the same as you - it keeps cutting out whatever the preset and despite having a good signal. Shame, cos the idea really appeals to me.

@Dutchee said:.

>

okay it seems it is not the trigger, but seems to be related to the filter that appears to be used on most of the presets and that completely chokes the sound with most of them after a few seconds. When i turn off the filter it seems to work better a bit better, but still not as desired. I have to get used to this app still too. A bit confusing still to me how it is all functioning.

• How is it on non guitar sounds? Is it worth buying as an FX?

• @Dutchee said:
    I like the sounds we are capable of making with this app. The latency is somewhat acceptable (but not great). Tone stack has a lot less latency. Lowering the buffer helps but also introduces a lot of crackling noises when switching apps (iPad Pro 9,7" 2016)

The app definitely needs a Master volume for the overall app output in addition to the already present master volume per preset. The current master knob should probably be called volume and not master since it only works per preset.

I hope Yonac can fix the trigger and add a Master output knob (place it above the i/o meters for instance) and i think we got another winner from Yonac here.

The threshold and dynamics knobs and the trigger light above are key. They need to be adjusted so that the trigger light comes on at your lowest expected picking velocity, then fades out about the way you expect the sound of a held note to fade out. Bad explanation, but the takeaway is those two knobs are the key.

• It looks interesting but seems a little high priced for me for what it does

• I sent a Ukulele through it....