Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

124»

Comments

• @JG_digister_com said:
    Thank you.
    The world is full of mimosa.

Prost! 🍻🍹

• @auxmux said:
    Another example. I'm using JAF on KQ Dixie here. Definitely adds some oomph and brightness.

Nice. Very mellow. How do you use the BCR2000?

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@auxmux said:
    Another example. I'm using JAF on KQ Dixie here. Definitely adds some oomph and brightness.

This is a "hacked" BCR: See https://zaqaudio.com/

• @rs2000 said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@auxmux said:

Ah. The Zaquencer. Been trying to convince myself for ages to get a second BCR for it. How do you like it?

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@rs2000 said:

@auxmux said:

Ah. The Zaquencer. Been trying to convince myself for ages to get a second BCR for it. How do you like it?

It's great to have hardware knobs for 32 steps. And randomly dialing up wild melodic sequences, combined with the scale function, is fun.
    Since I'm composing with Gadget though, I rarely use it anymore.

Why not load the Demo and try it?
    You can restore your BCR to factory default easily.

• @rs2000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@auxmux said:

It's great to have hardware knobs for 32 steps. And randomly dialing up wild melodic sequences, combined with the scale function, is fun.

Thanks! There goes my weekend, I guess.

• edited August 2019

@rs2000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@auxmux said:

Thanks! There goes my weekend, I guess.

Thanks, I hadn't used it in a while, because the on/off button broke a year or so ago. Behringer...but still works. Decided to revisit here and was happy with results.

As mentioned, it's fun to have a hands-on sequencer and discover melodies as you mess about.

• @auxmux said:

Question: How do you control the cutoff frequency?
    I've noticed that when using an envelope or beat-synced LFO, larger value jumps become smoothed so it's impossible to achieve sharp filter attacks if the cutoff frequency was low before...

@JG_digister_com
    I guess this has to do with parameter smoothing to avoid stepped sound when controlling with CC or via AUv3 parameters?
    What do you think about introducing an adjustable threshold to avoid smoothing whenever the control source changes by more than the threshold setting, or, alternatively, an automate-able smoothing amount knob?
    Something like this is required to use this otherwise fantastic filter together with synths.

• Sure the JAF Collection is great on synths, drums, and such... but how about on spoken word vocals? Really? Yes! Each filter has its own character of course, but in general they add warmth, presence, and saturation to the voice, IMO. A little of this effect goes a long way to giving the sound some “oomph” (scientific term: oomphification. 😄)

• edited September 2019

I am actually blown away!!!

This (your?) voice is absolutely intriguing.
    ( and poe is my absolute favorite since my childness days ) .

This (something similar) probably could have been made even with the (currently) free JAF Model One, as it has all the features of the JAF Collection except the 30 different filter models, which of course can produce a much wider spectrum of specialized sound manipulations. We even did not discover everything yet ourselves, because it always surprises us with unexpected results...

I am extremely happy to get this video demonstration!
    Thank you so much!

• edited September 2019

@JG_digister_com
    😊 Thank you for the wonderful compliment (as well as all the apps). Glad you liked! (Was trying to do an imitation of Gandalf). Yes, the JAF Model One app could have done mostly the same effect, especially since the sound just needed a little “warming up”. I like how it boosts the volume too in a pleasant way. I think for these filters the only limit is one’s imagination. (Also, I did not see the latest update until after I made video. Cool new features!)

Model One is “currently” free? Hey everybody who hasn’t tried it... better gets it while you can!

• Not only does the filter politely warm the vocals... with the comb filter and/or ring modulator can do cool robot and alien voices! 🤖👽

• @DCJ said:

@gusgranite said:
    I’m putting it down to inexperience and giving the developer a pass. The website is much more conciliatory.

“We really like AUM. For its clearness and scalability and all. But we have no clue, why our units do not work there. We tried everything. Currently the parameter automation and iteration does work correctly with other flagship host applications. If someone has a technical hint for us, why AUM refuses to work with us, so please tell us!”

Why he’s relying on us instead of the dev is strange. No other dev has ever had a problem with AUM in all this time. I’m sure @j_liljedahl has no problem giving him a technical hint since his website his chock full of tips for iOS devs.

I've been away from AB forum for a while, so trying to catch up a bit here..

I find it weird that this JAF dev didn't simply drop me an email and ask? I would have pointed him to my post about basic understanding of AU parameters: http://devnotes.kymatica.com/auv3_parameters

"My host app AUM only lists the parameters that are marked as writable. So make sure to add kAudioUnitParameterFlag_IsWritable to your param.flags for all parameters that you want to expose for external control."

So, this is not a "quirk" in AUM, it's a deliberate choice. Just because another host happily lists all parameters even if they're not supposed to be writable, doesn't mean it's right :)

• @j_liljedahl The Master speaks...

• Had some issues with their plugins on ios12 ipad air 3. Would freeze or severely glitch up cubasis when in an fx chain. Ive just recently upgraded to ios13 so perhaps its a better experience.

• I just want to weigh on on this. I think it is phenomenal! Yes, issues with the GUI, definitely the inability to tweak more than one button at a time is crazy. Worth it though for how good if sounds, blows the bleass and audio damage filters out of the water (for my personal taste).

Tweaking can be done out of the app midi mapping them to the knobs in kB-1 for example.

Playing around with the filter and then bringing in the oscillator on top can lead to some really interesting results. For anyone liking a rich and dirty retro sound this is a wonderful purchase, even if it is currently very expensive.

• edited March 2020

All the Guell’s apps cost a lot now, too much for some of them, as the former freebies.
    This guy is a programming genius (maybe) but lacks in public relations. And in commercial strategies. But indeed the JAF Collection, UI apart, is a great app.

• It seems that more had be planned for the filters - from the JAF manual:

JAF DUAL PRO [ Announcement ]
    Coming soon. While the standard modules in the JAF (Just A Filter) collection produce single filter effects, the PRO collection includes combinations of 2 filters freely in serial or parallel connection.

We can always hope. In the meantime, there is AUM / AB / APeM to combine the filters.

• I'm actually surprised they are still releasing stuff for iOS after reading the rant in the JAF collection in-app notes, lol

• Anyone else having issues saving AUM presets in 13.6 or state saving?

• @auxmux said:
    Anyone else having issues saving AUM presets in 13.6 or state saving?

Who’s gonna ask the dev then...?

• Whoever's feeling brave. I nominate @auxmux 😛

• I won’t even bother, deleted the apps long time ago, the UIs are just too f’ked up to be usable.

• @Samu said:
    I won’t even bother, deleted the apps long time ago, the UIs are just too f’ked up to be usable.

I've kept the filter collection (and the stereo tool).
    Too good to throw away.

• I even keep JAX convolutor PE

• I can’t bring myself to part with the filters, that UI is pretty bad but they sound pretty nice

• LOL, just want to make sure, I'm not only one. Pretty sure this used to work...might have to email. I love these filters too. ☹️