Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

Comments

• gusgranite wrote: " I’m putting it down to inexperience and giving the developer a pass. "

Please remember that English is not his native language. I'm not sure how I would sound trying to communicate in Korean or Russian... :-)

• DCJDCJ
    edited July 2019

@gusgranite said:
    I’m putting it down to inexperience and giving the developer a pass. The website is much more conciliatory.

“We really like AUM. For its clearness and scalability and all. But we have no clue, why our units do not work there. We tried everything. Currently the parameter automation and iteration does work correctly with other flagship host applications. If someone has a technical hint for us, why AUM refuses to work with us, so please tell us!”

Why he’s relying on us instead of the dev is strange. No other dev has ever had a problem with AUM in all this time. I’m sure @j_liljedahl has no problem giving him a technical hint since his website his chock full of tips for iOS devs.

• edited July 2019

Their update notes are very unusual in that they go into great detail about how they’ve tried to figure out how to resolve AUv3 parameter automation with different AUv3 host apps. If anyone is to be focused on in terms of creating these sorts of inconsistencies and dilemmas my vote would be for Apple not providing sufficient documentation as they rolled out AUv3 on iOS or you would not have these sorts of issues arising as developers attempt to use Apple’s standard without sufficient guidance to eliminate those sorts of discrepancies. When your platform attracts a wide range of developers, it would seem wise to take this into account rather than end up with situations where developers are pointing fingers at each other or Apple and the quality and consistency of the end user suffers because of it.

• @Simon said:
    gusgranite wrote: " I’m putting it down to inexperience and giving the developer a pass. "

Please remember that English is not his native language. I'm not sure how I would sound trying to communicate in Korean or Russian... :-)

Even if English is not one's native language, it is common etiquette not to criticize another developer in your App Store description. Best to put something like "We are aware that our AU parameters don't show up in AUM and we are looking into the issue."

• @espiegel123 said:

@Simon said:
    gusgranite wrote: " I’m putting it down to inexperience and giving the developer a pass. "

Even if English is not one's native language, it is common etiquette not to criticize another developer in your App Store description. Best to put something like "We are aware that our AU parameters don't show up in AUM and we are looking into the issue."

I know. It is a bit daft. I’m feeling in gregarious mood, however, so a little gentle mentoring and I’m sure all will be well 🙂

• If @Simon knows the developer, it would helpful advice to reach out to @j_liljedahl directly, because AUM is the most popular host on iOS so supporting it adequately important.

I really like these filters and bought the paid version, so definitely want to support the app's development.

• Not only it's a popular host, but from my experience it's always been the perfect test environment. Much more than Apples own GB or any other host/DAW.
    Also the dev contributed to/helped shaping iOS music making, so I would really be surprised if the issue is with AUM. Hope JAF dev will reach out and the issues will get sorted.

• @recccp said:
    Not only it's a popular host, but from my experience it's always been the perfect test environment. Much more than Apples own GB or any other host/DAW.
    Also the dev contributed to/helped shaping iOS music making, so I would really be surprised if the issue is with AUM. Hope JAF dev will reach out and the issues will get sorted.

I've had better results using apeMatrix. While most hosts including AUM couldn't automate JAF parameters, it worked without a hitch in apeMatrix even before the "fix".

• edited July 2019

I deff think they need to change those app store notes

The filters sound amazing tho

• Yep, really nice sounding filters...
    However the UI has its quirks, I also find it little confusing that F6LP - which going by its name should be a softer version of F24LP - actually a much more aggressive character that passes through less higher frequencies which is the opposite of what I would expect.
    And well, hoping here that the AUM automation going to be fixed in the future.

• Woohoo! AU automation works in BM3 now! :)

• Is it working now with AUM?

• @cuscolima said:
    Is it working now with AUM?

It looks like all of the parameters are now available.

• edited August 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Simon said:

I don’t disagree. However, the App Store is enormous and I think there’s room for a developer with personality.

I would definitely do things differently than the Dev has done in a few respects but I like that he has certain principles and sticks to them, if somewhat abrasively.

At least we know where we stand with him. With some devs you can make a feature request and get no reply ever. At least he will tell you to feck off and use a different app if we don’t like his design choices. ;-).

But it’s cool as the dev is totally confident in his views and I respect that. Honestly I do.

It’s his way or highway.

I choose the highway. I can see the highway without pinching to zoom. ;-)

• I just bought it and I am very impressed. It can really turn a cold sound into something warm and much more appealing. It works very well with drums (try for example with the drums of Groovebox that are really "cold"). Adding some oscillators with several spread voices, and controlled with the keyboard and you have a monster song!

• In my experiences with the developer they’re definitely more focused on how they believe things should be done rather than people’s perception of how they do things. Most significantly their apps do have a very good DSP. All things being equal, it’s better to have a good app than a good PR person. In iOS, many of the developers create great apps and are exceptionally diplomatic. It’s probably too much to expect this all the time.

• edited August 2019

Doug has a blast with the JAF Filter Collection.

He shows the many uses of the filters including some cool droning techniques:

• these filters sound great!

but... am I the only one that finds the UX to be a bit insane? Sort of feels like they were designed by someone who never used any other plugins for ios and tried to reinvent the wheel. Main issues:

• So much unused space, yet to access parameters there are three separate popups!
    • The interface can be scaled down to the size of a postage stamp (but why?)
    • (Most frustrating of all) now you can move the popup windows, but if you move them away from the main interface, they go under some invisible border, causing them to be lost forever until you delete the instance and add a new one. This renders the ability to move the popup windows utterly useless. Really... all that space! Just get rid of the annoying popup windows and lay it all out horizontally.

• These filters sound too good for the UI to matter, and now with midi automation, I don't have to look at them. It's functional not perfect.

• @palm said:

but... am I the only one that finds the UX to be a bit insane?

Nope.

Sort of feels like they were designed by someone who never used any other plugins for ios and tried to reinvent the wheel.

I love this crazy app. The UI/UX is totally bonkers. The dev clearly has pet peeves with app design and has let them become obsessions, like pinching to zoom which shouldn’t be necessary on a plug in with basically three knobs ;-)

The colour schemes are really hard to read (red on grey? Really?!)

The interface has a relatively small number of controls but each one takes up stupid amounts of space.

All of this pinch and zoom nonsense (just scale automatically and intelligently based not on size of the plugin view like all the best auv3s) means you can’t control more than one knob at a time. In my very humble opinion I think being able to control more than one of the three knobs at a time in an audio app is more important than being able to zoom the interface. Moog model 15 does the same but it has a thousand knobs so it’s understandable there.

The main ui is a fixed ratio which doesn’t scale well. The default view is tiny so you have to zoom in to see what’s what and when you do the interface overlaps the contrast and other buttons making it even harder to use. And because the ratio of the main UI is so different to the plug in window/view it’s housed in you either end up truncating the sides or you end up with a letterboxed view with tons of wasted space and tiny and illegible controls surrounding the massive knob in the middle.

If you zoom in you’ll often miss the tap target and move the interface instead of tuning the dials. They’ve added a lock switch to prevent this. It shouldn’t need a lock switch.

Pop up behaviour of the various controls is weird.

I could go on...

The release notes on the AppStore are entertaining though. The guy certainly has character. Mad as a box of frogs I reckon, but that’s better than being dull I suppose :-D

• The release notes on the AppStore are entertaining though. The guy certainly has character. Mad as a box of frogs I reckon, but that’s better than being dull I suppose :-D

Word. Jens Guell is going to be the John McAfee of iOS (the man, not the company). I expect future release notes to feature references to hookers & blow and to him hiding from the CIA in a secret bunker in Estonia 🤟

• edited August 2019

Thank you.
    The world is full of mimosa. These”s no place for such as character or citicism.

Only nice marketing twaddle and selling friendly scamming for you soon.

Also perfect anonymous company camouflage with no face and opinion behind.
    And doing everything the gods ... errrm.. the users want you to do.

“Individualism??? No!!! Individualism is not for the others! Its only for ME !!!”

Don’t blow the whistles. whistle the blowers!

• @klownshed said:

The release notes on the AppStore are entertaining though.

And the score on the App Store is impressive - 4.9 out of 5. People like these filters!

• @klownshed said:
    I love this crazy app. The UI/UX is totally bonkers. The dev clearly has pet peeves with app design and has let them become obsessions, like pinching to zoom which shouldn’t be necessary on a plug in with basically three knobs ;-)

The guy certainly has character. Mad as a box of frogs I reckon, but that’s better than being dull I suppose :-D

I do love the my-way-or-highway attitude + outlook.. Personally, if someone tells me some of my music is "nice" or a photo I took is "nice".. I cringe.. When it comes to art.. Love it OR Hate it.. passionately.. in-between is just blah.. and boring..
    I believe this app is art for Jens.. and so, love it OR hate it.. it does make some great noises.. and for that.. I love it.

• edited August 2019

the app has actually a >borderline personality disorder.<.
    like me.

😷

( it doesn't reduce quality. on both. )

• If you want to hear how good these filters are there are several videos on the new Support Digitster YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfaJ2quPH3AJrUGDx-HY49w

• Another example. I'm using JAF on KQ Dixie here. Definitely adds some oomph and brightness.

• @White said:
    https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/jaf-collection/id1472896422

The JAF Collection is an exciting set of digital modeled classic analog synthesizer filters (VCFs) for iOS. The emphasis of this collection of audio unit effects is professional analog sounding and optimized behavior with touchscreen usage, features that not many currently available apps and plugins do really offer.

The collection is exclusively available for the mobile iOS (version 11 and higher). The apps and the included audio units are “universal”, so they work on iPhones and iPads the same way and also have basically the same appearance and functionality.

Note: These apps are so-called “audio units” (aka plugins), which usually require hosting audio applications to operate. Although, they come with their own basic host applications, which includes for instance IAA (inter-app-audio) connectivity, like mic input and also have
    inbuilt MIDI support, to use the filters out of the box, like external hardware devices, without requiring another host application.

The JAF Collection Filters can also act as a synthesizer module due to the fact, that there is an unison oscillator section (VCOs) built in for testing and for live performances. The analog modeled synthesizer has no advanced control or modulators. It just runs the oscillators continuously and can be controlled by MIDI messages.

A manual is shipped in the IAA enabled distribution app.

I HAVE AND LOVE APP QUALITY

The interfaces, layout, and GUI are needing work.

Hard to see and not sized well.

• edited August 2019

If you have been thinking about getting the JAF Collection of filters you might want to act quickly: the current introductory price is valid until 1st September 2019.

I'm not sure what the developer will be charging after that date.

Get the app here:
    https://apps.apple.com/app/jaf-collection/id1472896422

You can watch videos of the app in action here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfaJ2quPH3AJrUGDx-HY49w

• @RUST( i )K said:

@White said:
    https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/jaf-collection/id1472896422

The JAF Collection is an exciting set of digital modeled classic analog synthesizer filters (VCFs) for iOS. The emphasis of this collection of audio unit effects is professional analog sounding and optimized behavior with touchscreen usage, features that not many currently available apps and plugins do really offer.

The collection is exclusively available for the mobile iOS (version 11 and higher). The apps and the included audio units are “universal”, so they work on iPhones and iPads the same way and also have basically the same appearance and functionality.

Note: These apps are so-called “audio units” (aka plugins), which usually require hosting audio applications to operate. Although, they come with their own basic host applications, which includes for instance IAA (inter-app-audio) connectivity, like mic input and also have
    inbuilt MIDI support, to use the filters out of the box, like external hardware devices, without requiring another host application.

The JAF Collection Filters can also act as a synthesizer module due to the fact, that there is an unison oscillator section (VCOs) built in for testing and for live performances. The analog modeled synthesizer has no advanced control or modulators. It just runs the oscillators continuously and can be controlled by MIDI messages.

A manual is shipped in the IAA enabled distribution app.

I HAVE AND LOVE APP QUALITY

The interfaces, layout, and GUI are needing work.

Hard to see and not sized well.

Yah the GUI outright vanishes a lot for me and the interactivity is not solid. Sounds fantastic though. With a solid scaleable UI etc it could be indispensable.