Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS App or AUv3 for Reverb Reduction Any suggestions?

Is there an App or even better an AUv3 plugin for iOS that can instantly reduce room/ hall reverb? I did some research but I can't find anything for iOS. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Below a video of examples of plugins I search for

Comments

• A mix of brusfri, volume and low pass filter automation should get you a long way - although I'd most likely never try on iOS ;)

• Check out FAC Transient's presets to "dry"up a signal. Intended for drums but probably close to what you're seeking. If not close enough ping @FredAntonCorvest for a new App or update to FAC Transient.

• Wasn't there a thread on here about "de-verbing?" Something about using the inverse phase or whatever. I haven't had time to look into it.

• I just played around with brusfri, actually for the example in the video, brusfri alone works quite well already!

• @rs2000 @McD and @mjcouche Thanks for your comments so far. From what I hear I should have a look at Brusfi. But seems there's nothing as the simple plugins as Acon DeVerberate or SPL Deverb.

• @mannix said:
    @rs2000 @McD and @mjcouche Thanks for your comments so far. From what I hear I should have a look at Brusfi. But seems there's nothing as the simple plugins as Acon DeVerberate or SPL Deverb.

Brusfri is as simple to use as it gets. Just a few controls and well, you'll have to experiment with different sound file sections to "Learn" from. For the above example, I've simply learned from the whole file and it worked quite well.

• SPL Deverb does the same as the method mentioned with FAC Transient.
    The reverb isn't removed, instead the reverb tail is suppressed by dynamic control.
    Acorn DeVerberate analyses the audio spectrum to detect typical reverb patterns, which then are removed by a kind of inverse convolution - looks simple on screen, but is highly sophisticated and demands a lot of CPU cycles.
    Another VST featuring that approach is Zynaptiq UnVeil, also heavy on CPU.

If it's just about reducing too much reverb to a reasonable level, the transient method works great and is the most easy to apply. The 2 spectral processors may need careful adjustments.

• @telefunky thanks for the thorough explanation. So FAC Transient should be doing the most easy job on iOS at the moment. Will take a look.
    btw with all processing power idevices nowadays have a spectral processor app should be within the possibilties of app devs in the future I would say :)

• I have the Zynaptiq Zap bundle (which includes UnVeil) myself and compared Acorns DeVerb.
    They are targeted slightly different: while DeVerberate treats any reverb, UnVeil claims to be able to distinguish between natural room responses and pattern from certain reverb algorithms.
    (which are then less suppressed because the focus is on 'removing the room/distance' in a most natural way)
    It can do stunning things to audio, usually in combination with the UnFilter (resonance detection/removal), but for good results needs very careful tweaking.

Both companies have decades of experience in this domain and use optimized Intel code.
    The processing requires quite a large buffer for FFT like operations.
    My rather humble system (3Ghz DualCore) is maxed out with a single stereo track with if both UnVeil and UnFilter are running together.

I also used SPL Transient Designer (which operates under the hood of Deverb) quite often to trim decay tails with very good results. Effortless to dial in the sound as good as it gets and in most cases you're set.

In fact IOS provides some interesting frameworks for machine learning and 'abusing' the GPU for such tasks, but that would require serious effort to be explored first. A task for future... ;)

• @mannix said:
    btw with all processing power idevices nowadays have a spectral processor app should be within the possibilties of app devs in the future I would say :)

You can have it today, and it's called brusfri. If you prefer FAC transient, well...

• Brusfri is based on 'multiple fine-tuned gates', so it's an approach similiar to the transient shapers. Both will work well and it may depend on source if one or the other handles a particular case 'better' than the other.

• @Telefunky Thanks for the extensive explantions of the the methods used to suppress reverb! :)

• This video comes close to what Brusfri would do with reverb tails.
    First 25 seconds unprocessed, the rest is processed by a chain of noise gate, UnFilter to defeat room resonance, compressor. UnFilter is convenient because it 'learns' the room's character, but may be replaced with any EQ of similiar detail/features.

In case you look up videos about UnVeil: I only checked a couple and found a lot of rubbish being talked and dialed on screen. In particular the 'full up' of the 1st dial (distance impression) generates a sound that's completely unusable in it's harshness.
    I consider myself an experienced user, but UnVeil is by far the most challenging plugin regarding proper dial settings.

There's also a general problem with the 'length of tail' dial because in a real room reflections arrive from a variety of distances - which may require to run the process multiple times with different settings and do a submix of the intermediate results.

• Acon's DeVerberate is easier to dial than UnVeil (iirc) but provides less control about details.
    In average situations results are similiar - if things are wiered or tricky UnVeil may be the only option... if you have the time/patience.

ps: I'm pretty shure Izotope offers similiar plugins, but I don't know their current portfolio.

• I would put Eventides Blackhole reverb on the track, and then turn mix knob down to 0%. There you go, reverb reduced.

• @Tarekith said:
    I would put Eventides Blackhole reverb on the track, and then turn mix knob down to 0%. There you go, reverb reduced.

Does that trick only work with $50+ reverbs?
    ;)

• I think Beatformer might be able to do this, too.
    The controls are labeled ambiguously, but turning down Squash and turning up Punch kills the Reverb on drums pretty well.

• edited July 2019

@Tarekith said:
    I would put Eventides Blackhole reverb on the track, and then turn mix knob down to 0%. There you go, reverb reduced.

:D :D