Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How is everyone managing their huge midi libraries?

For example, I have a huge number of GM drum loop libraries (thousands and thousands of files) on my computer that I'd like to easily use on my iOS device. These libraries are nested in several folders and subfolders that describe their contents. I'd like to find a way to very quickly go through them and quickly preview several (to find the one that I need), and then quickly import it into my project.

In short, I need something on iOS (Universal app) that lets me quickly access and preview many GM Midi files and quickly play them using a GM sound source, and then import the chosen file into a project. I'd like to avoid relying on the cloud if possible.

Surely I'm not the only one in an active music creation forum that has sought a similar solution.

What are you guys using?

Comments

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have my midi files organized in the free app Documents by Readdle:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id364901807

It can search in subfolders.

I preview the midi files in the free app Midi Opener:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1029373282

• edited July 2019

AudioShare is your friend .. it has subfolders and it can do MIDI files audition !! And from audioshare you can then open midi file in any other app supporting MIDI format ...

@EyeOhEss said:
    Doesn’t ns2 have midi file browser/audition/import functionality? Universal soon apparently.

No audiotion of midi files yet ..

• @dendy said:
    AudioShare is your friend .. it has subfolders and it can do MIDI files audition !! And from audioshare you can then open midi file in any other app supporting MIDI format ...

@EyeOhEss said:
    Doesn’t ns2 have midi file browser/audition/import functionality? Universal soon apparently.

Have you listened to the "beeps" that AudioShare uses and actually been able to hear and identify if a loop will work for you or not? I suspect you haven't. Try it. AudioShare would be perfect otherwise. As it stands, I can't tell one loop from another with it. Seriously, try it. I don't think you have. :smile:

• edited July 2019

@White said:
    I have my midi files organized in the free app Documents by Readdle:

Thank you for posting. However, I've tried that and it's too much of a pain to use. First, it's in the cloud, and second, you have to go through a ton of steps to even audition a single file. I'm looking for a way to audition Midi as easily as AudioShare auditions audio--Push a button to play the file, then move to the next one and push a button to play the file, etc., etc.

These are the steps requred for Midi Opener:

A simple MIDI audio player for files on the web or in the cloud. A must-have app for browsing Wikipedia.

To load a MIDI file from the web, navigate to it and then choose "Open in MIDI Opener", "Copy to MIDI Opener", or "Open in..." then select MIDI Opener from the list of apps.

Now imagine doing that 40 or 50 times to try to find the right file to import.

• Wow! This is great!! Only thing it doesn’t find AudioShare don’t know why?

@White said:

• edited July 2019

Sweet MIDI. Good options like soloing and muting channels before export. Thing is, as far as I can tell, it’s import is one at a time via iTunes.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sweet-midi-player/id477678002

• @Audiojunkie said:

@White said:

Thank you for posting. However, I've tried that and it's too much of a pain to use. First, it's in the cloud, and second, you have to go through a ton of steps to even audition a single file. I'm looking for a way to audition Midi as easily as AudioShare auditions audio--Push a button to play the file, then move to the next one and push a button to play the file, etc., etc.

A simple MIDI audio player for files on the web or in the cloud. A must-have app for browsing Wikipedia.

To load a MIDI file from the web, navigate to it and then choose "Open in MIDI Opener", "Copy to MIDI Opener", or "Open in..." then select MIDI Opener from the list of apps.

No imagine doing that 40 or 50 times to try to find the right file to import.

Don't know if this is any better, but in the Midi Opener app, there is a little folder icon, down to the left. If you press this, then it opens the file browser and you can select your midi file from there

• It worked just had to enable it in browse when searching the files app.

• I would import them all into a player that immediately plays a file when "touching it" because that's the most time-consuming part.
    Roni Music's "Sweet MIDI Player" is one example, and it cna open the MIDI in other apps.

• Wow sweet midi player works also! Thanks !

@rs2000 said:
    I would import them all into a player that immediately plays a file when "touching it" because that's the most time-consuming part.
    Roni Music's "Sweet MIDI Player" is one example, and it cna open the MIDI in other apps.

• edited July 2019

@Audiojunkie said:

@dendy said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Have you listened to the "beeps" that AudioShare uses and actually been able to hear and identify if a loop will work for you or not? I suspect you haven't. Try it. AudioShare would be perfect otherwise. As it stands, I can't tell one loop from another with it. Seriously, try it. I don't think you have. :smile:

I did :) It's totally enough as overview what is i inside midi file :)) You cannot expect preview with full general midi support :) Of course it works for simple files, really not ideal for whole songs and also for drum patterns .. it is really just for simple files with basic melodies and stuff like that... Just to get raw overview what kind of melody is inside file..

• I ditched all my library when I gone full iOS and just buy packs from BlocsWave and so. Lately using Garageband I find their appleloops also amazing so aside these I prefer just play directly whatever I need.
    Another tool is drummer and bass lines from “follow track” (more or less bandinabox algos) so iBassist family apps could help you in just avoid unnecessary collecting midi/audio loops...

• @White said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@White said:

No imagine doing that 40 or 50 times to try to find the right file to import.

Don't know if this is any better, but in the Midi Opener app, there is a little folder icon, down to the left. If you press this, then it opens the file browser and you can select your midi file from there

That might actually save some steps......it's worth considering. :smile:

• @rs2000 said:
    I would import them all into a player that immediately plays a file when "touching it" because that's the most time-consuming part.

Does it have an iOS version? It seems to only have a Windows or a Mac version...

• edited July 2019

@Audiojunkie said:

@rs2000 said:

Does it have an iOS version? It seems to only have a Windows or a Mac version...

Edit: Wow! Both you and @bounce mentioned this app, and @bounce even posted a link, and I still didn't see it until I went back and looked again. Apologies (and much thanks) to both of you guys!! I'll look into the "Sweet Midi" app and see how it goes. :smile:

• OK, I've tested Sweet MIDI Player. Unfortunately, I don't like it. The one that I currently use is better. It's called, "Midi Voyager" by bytebolt. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've ever been able to find. I was hoping that you guys might have found a better one. Unfortunately, it seems that Midi Voyager is still the best and easiest to use.

I recommend you guys all try it out to see what I mean. In the mean time, it gets the work done, so I'll stick with it. I just hope that someday I'll be able to find something even better. :smile:

Thank you all for your help! :smile:

P.S. Here's the link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-voyager/id1265602132

• edited July 2019

@Audiojunkie said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@rs2000 said:

Edit: Wow! Both you and @bounce mentioned this app, and @bounce even posted a link, and I still didn't see it until I went back and looked again. Apologies (and much thanks) to both of you guys!! I'll look into the "Sweet Midi" app and see how it goes. :smile:

Another idea, admittedly somewhat exotic:
    Build Modstep projects from your MIDI files. You can have a huge bunch of scenes and you could put different category MIDI files into different columns. Modstep can also export MIDI (to AudioShare at least), although that's certainly not the most straightforward solution.
    Or use the MIDI files inside Modstep already...

Edit: When I think of it, Xequence 2 could easily have a MIDI file preview function...

• @rs2000 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@rs2000 said:

Another idea, admittedly somewhat exotic:
    Build Modstep projects from your MIDI files. You can have a huge bunch of scenes and you could put different category MIDI files into different columns. Modstep can also export MIDI (to AudioShare at least), although that's certainly not the most straightforward solution.
    Or use the MIDI files inside Modstep already...

Edit: When I think of it, Xequence 2 could easily have a MIDI file preview function...

Yeah, the Modstep idea has two problems: 1. Not Universal (I use iPhone), and 2. A lot more work than I want to do for it. :wink:

However, I did speak with the Xequence 2 developer, who said that it is already on his list and plans on doing it. No promises as to if/when though.

This leaves me back with what I've been already using (which seems to be the best thing out there right now): MIDI Voyager

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-voyager/id1265602132

• What’s the downside of MIDI voyager?

• @bounce said:
    What’s the downside of MIDI voyager?

Honestly, it’s not much of a downside. It’s a karaoke player, and so has a lot of extra features that I don’t need or want.....and it’s not so pretty. 😜

• I copying as I type my files to Sweet midi player via the Files app; I’ll see how it goes.

@Audiojunkie said:

@bounce said:

Honestly, it’s not much of a downside. It’s a karaoke player, and so has a lot of extra features that I don’t need or want.....and it’s not so pretty. 😜

• @Audiojunkie said:

@bounce said:

But it has all the colors :D

• @rs2000 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@bounce said:

But it has all the colors :D

I can’t argue there!! Hehehe!! 😄

• It does work better/easier than any other app I’ve found though. I just keep periodically checking for something better. 🙂

• @Audiojunkie said:
    For example, I have a huge number of GM drum loop libraries (thousands and thousands of files) on my computer that I'd like to easily use on my iOS device. These libraries are nested in several folders and subfolders that describe their contents. I'd like to find a way to very quickly go through them and quickly preview several (to find the one that I need), and then quickly import it into my project.

In short, I need something on iOS (Universal app) that lets me quickly access and preview many GM Midi files and quickly play them using a GM sound source, and then import the chosen file into a project. I'd like to avoid relying on the cloud if possible.

Surely I'm not the only one in an active music creation forum that has sought a similar solution.

What are you guys using?

I manage my huge MIDI library by not having one.

• I was able to expert all my midi files into sweet midi player and it has a built in synth!

So I exported the midi file to Xequence 2 from sweet midi player and X2 played it back into SMP! Pretty cool!

Only issue I have is that X2 grouped the whole midi file into a single track. Will ask dev how to separate them.

• edited July 2019

Free app MidiOnstage works great to audition midi files but I’ve never tried to organize files with it so your mileage may vary.

MidiOnStage by Erwin Wolf

edit: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midionstage/id962042556

• It would be so cool if @j_liljedahl added some basic GM soundfont playback to the AudioShare midi preview. Even just a choice between a Piano and Drum playback sound would be enough for me.

• @craftycurate said:

@Audiojunkie said:

What are you guys using?

I manage my huge MIDI library by not having one.

Helpful