Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Noob question: setting up Multi part Thumb Jam in AUM using Aphelian?

Hi all,

I am trying to set up four ThumbJam instruments inside AUM to be played by the 4 MIDI outputs available inside Aphelian, on my IPad Air 2018 running IOS 12.3, and just can’t work out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated :)

I have loaded up four of the available 8 IAA ‘port’ instances of TJ in 4 Audio channels on AUM, gone into the TJ Settings for the first of these, turned off MPE, selected ‘Aphelian’ as my MIDI source, set the first channel in TJs MIDI in settings from Omni to ‘1’, and that plays fine. However, regardless of what I do in the remaining channels, including using the TJ Split function to load different instruments inside the first instance, I can only get one currently selected instrument in the first TJ channel to play across all 4 instances from the Aphelian MIDI outs, set to 1 thru 4. I have played around selecting the (Virtual) Aphelian port as my ‘In’ on each individual TJ channel, and also tried routing it to them in the AUM matrix view, both individually from Aphelian, or by routing Aphelian into AUMs built in MIDI control. No dice.

My understanding is that I ought to be able to select different TJ instruments hosted inside the other AUM channels, and have Aphelian play each of the four parts on different TJ instruments. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Comments

• I just bought Aphelian and I’m having the same problem. Trying to simply send 3 instances of Aphelian to 3 different synths in AUM but absolutely stumped. Help!

• @Svetlovska I think I’ve got this figured out. Ish. It’s not straightforward at all.

So, in TJ, load your four slots and then load the four instruments into AUM channels, then set it to accept note input from AUM, and set the input channel start to 1, which I suspect is the thing that then maps the other slots to successive channels:

Then tell Aphelian to use channels 1 to 4 set to output to AUM, and turn send on (I missed this initially), and turn the Aphelian audio engine off:

In AUM, set each TJ channel to receive only the relevant midi channel, and map like this:

The other bit I missed is that Aphelian doesn’t seem to receive MIDI clock (unless I’m just dumb), so to get it to sync you need to load it as an IAA instrument, even though it’s not making any sound.

Hope this helps, or at least gives some useful pointers.

• @Kashi said:
    I just bought Aphelian and I’m having the same problem. Trying to simply send 3 instances of Aphelian to 3 different synths in AUM but absolutely stumped. Help!

I suspect the Aphelian AUv3 is a bit buggy. Whenever I’ve tried to load more than one instance, it’s pot luck if the second, third etc instances actually output MIDI. Sometimes reloading helps. And it really doesn’t like AUM’s node copy/paste.

NB this is from a brief but frustrating play with it the other day, having not used it for quite a while.

• @bygjohn said:

@Kashi said:
    I just bought Aphelian and I’m having the same problem. Trying to simply send 3 instances of Aphelian to 3 different synths in AUM but absolutely stumped. Help!

I suspect the Aphelian AUv3 is a bit buggy. Whenever I’ve tried to load more than one instance, it’s pot luck if the second, third etc instances actually output MIDI. Sometimes reloading helps. And it really doesn’t like AUM’s node copy/paste.

NB this is from a brief but frustrating play with it the other day, having not used it for quite a while.

How annoying. I only bought 2 apps during the capitalist gang-bang that is BF, ...both sequencers, ....and I'm having issues with both of them :(

• Hmm, so @Svetlovska referred to this issue in 2019. It’s now nearly 2023, and opening multiple instances of an app that is AUV3 is still not working. That's kinda cheeky no? Anyone know if the developer frequents this forum?

• @Kashi said:
    Hmm, so @Svetlovska referred to this issue in 2019. It’s now nearly 2023, and opening multiple instances of an app that is AUV3 is still not working. That's kinda cheeky no? Anyone know if the developer frequents this forum?

Good grief, I’d missed the date on the OP. Thought this was a new thread! But yes, the AUv3 is still a little problematic. The dev has disappeared from the App Store a couple of times, probably more by accident than design, but I suspect they aren’t full time on their development.

• edited November 2022

workaround is to use the IAA iteration of Aphelion, place it in one of your AUM instrument slots (so you can easily move beyween AUM abd Aphelion GUI) place your Thimbjam channels as you have done, and route midi using AUM and Aphelion settings.

• @Kashi said:
    Hmm, so @Svetlovska referred to this issue in 2019. It’s now nearly 2023, and opening multiple instances of an app that is AUV3 is still not working. That's kinda cheeky no? Anyone know if the developer frequents this forum?

The devs no longer visit here. Best to contact them through their website. I suspect the income was too small for them to continue working on it.

• Thanks @bygjohn and @espiegel123 .
    @Littlewoodg - that’s only a workaround if you have Thumbjam….which I don’t.

• @Kashi said:
    Thanks @bygjohn and @espiegel123 .
    @Littlewoodg - that’s only a workaround if you have Thumbjam….which I don’t.

It will work with AU destinations, too. You just need to route and filter as needed in your preferred host.

• i know the IAA deal is on the way towards deprecated, but it still its functional in the current environment (ios 16.x so far so good). and I think Aphelion is far more useful and interesting as an IAA,

and is doable both in AB3 and AUM. (both can place Aphelion in such a way that tapping betwen apps is pretty fluid, solving the usual issue IAA apps can present)

I never really use - or for me see the point - in have multiple sequencers in one set up, one per track… too many moving parts and odd (again, to me) when there are already single apps that sequence multiple tracks.