Hosting au in modstep

Ok so I always hear that modstep is best to use along side AUM rather than hosting the auv3 inside modstep..
Just curious why, before I go to deep haha I have a session going right now with 3 AU synths and a few AU effects and things are running pretty good...
Is that problem with state saving?
I prefer to use AUM with it a lot of times cuz the AUM workflow is unmatched, but still curious what problems I may encounter..
I've had modstep a while but I'm going to actually start using it to create my ep so I wanna get everything right ?

Comments

  • AU inside of AUM is fine. It was the IAA apps that cause chaos.

  • The only problems ive had with running AUs in Modstep (and ive done it a lot) is Modstep not telling me that im overloading the cpu and crashing. Unlike some other programs, it will sometimes just crash rather than have audible audio problems. As long as I have reasonable stuff going, state saving hasnt been an issue.

  • Rad! I'm sure there is more freedom using it with AUM but I do enjoy all in one sessions as well for quick tests n such...

    Do you guys know if you can export midi from atom into modstep or vise versa

  • edited July 12

    And how exactly is possible to automate a filter on AU synth (edit: inside Modstep ?

  • @reasOne said:
    Rad! I'm sure there is more freedom using it with AUM but I do enjoy all in one sessions as well for quick tests n such...

    Do you guys know if you can export midi from atom into modstep or vise versa

    Don’t have Atom, but if you can get the MIDI into AudioShare, you’ll be set; modstep only works with AudioShare, it hasn’t been updated to work with Files.

  • @Korakios said:
    And how exactly is possible to automate a filter on AU synth (edit: inside Modstep ?

    Send it midi cc. Mod Step is great for sequencing midi cc

  • @Korakios said:
    And how exactly is possible to automate a filter on AU synth (edit: inside Modstep ?

    As the name suggests, modulation is what modstep is all about!

    In the Session view, select Browser and find the AU you want.
    Drag it onto the track you want.

    Now go the the Template Editor (1)
    Find your AU in the CCs folder and drag it to the CC Repository (2) and you’ll see all the AU parameters
    You can drag the parameters you want into the Left or Right CC Slots (these are for the XY Pads in the Step Sequencer page), or just press Auto Fill to load everything.

    Go to the Piano Roll (1)
    Make sure MODS is selected (2)
    Select the parameter you want (3)
    And draw your curve (4)

  • @aplourde said:

    @Korakios said:
    And how exactly is possible to automate a filter on AU synth (edit: inside Modstep ?

    As the name suggests, modulation is what modstep is all about!

    In the Session view, select Browser and find the AU you want.
    Drag it onto the track you want.

    Now go the the Template Editor (1)
    Find your AU in the CCs folder and drag it to the CC Repository (2) and you’ll see all the AU parameters
    You can drag the parameters you want into the Left or Right CC Slots (these are for the XY Pads in the Step Sequencer page), or just press Auto Fill to load everything.

    Go to the Piano Roll (1)
    Make sure MODS is selected (2)
    Select the parameter you want (3)
    And draw your curve (4)

    Epic guide!

  • @aplourde whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????!!!!
    I thought Modstep doesn’t read the AU parameters and templates where only pre-made...
    Thank you !

  • Ok, it works :) Now I tried to rec automation from the GUI of Spacecraft and didn’t work . So , I added Spacecraft’s filter&reverb on the XY page ,then successfully recorded (not draw) it. But how can I record both XY ? (I recently redownloaded ModStep after loooong time )

  • @Korakios said:
    Ok, it works :) Now I tried to rec automation from the GUI of Spacecraft and didn’t work . So , I added Spacecraft’s filter&reverb on the XY page ,then successfully recorded (not draw) it. But how can I record both XY ? (I recently redownloaded ModStep after loooong time )

    Select the parameters you want (you can have up to 4 on the X axis and 4 on the Y), then press “Mod All” on the right middle to control all at once. Without Mod All you only control the last parameter you selected.

  • @aplourde said:

    @Korakios said:
    Ok, it works :) Now I tried to rec automation from the GUI of Spacecraft and didn’t work . So , I added Spacecraft’s filter&reverb on the XY page ,then successfully recorded (not draw) it. But how can I record both XY ? (I recently redownloaded ModStep after loooong time )

    Select the parameters you want (you can have up to 4 on the X axis and 4 on the Y), then press “Mod All” on the right middle to control all at once. Without Mod All you only control the last parameter you selected.

    <3

Sign In or Register to comment.