When GarageBand and Logic combine

https://dreamingofwolves.bandcamp.com/album/sojourn

Here’s the result. Still learning both of them. I have to say that it’s a damn shame smart instruments don’t exist on Logic but the Drummer in X is a sign that they might come, but not soon enough.

Parts were put together on the iPad and then imported into Logic for arranging. Mastered back in Cubasis afterwards since I prefer my iOS plugins and presets.

I hope you enjoy. Check out the other three songs on the site that I’ve produced. B)

Comments

  • When you say smart instruments... Are you talking about input interface? Logic remote brings that to Logic/Garage/Mainstage...

  • @TheDubbyLabby cool I’ll give it a go :)

  • @LucidMusicInc said:
    @TheDubbyLabby cool I’ll give it a go :)

    :wink:

  • Good stuff as usual @LucidMusicInc 👌🏾

    Make sure to give Logic Remote a go... @TheDubbyLabby beat me to the tip. GB + Logic is my current flow of choice.

  • Hi @WillieNegus glad to see an advice worked for you. I usually give them just to spread love... Logic Remote smart instruments interfaces are great. Also the app sends usb over wifi so if you connect a midi keyboard the data is transferred to the desktop app too.

    :smile:

  • edited July 4

    @WillieNegus said:
    Good stuff as usual @LucidMusicInc 👌🏾

    Make sure to give Logic Remote a go... @TheDubbyLabby beat me to the tip. GB + Logic is my current flow of choice.

    I was dying to get Cubase but the dongle and price was a dealbreaker. Very happy that I was forced to choose Logic out of necessity. I was always reluctant to work in GarageBand because I want ownership over my midi files which GarageBand doesn’t allow, but now with Logic and GarageBand synced together... good times ahead. Logic offers more than other DAWs in that price category in terms of the number of instruments and sampled content you can play with. But content aside I’m happiest with the step recording, score viewer and midi fx.

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Hi @WillieNegus glad to see an advice worked for you. I usually give them just to spread love... Logic Remote smart instruments interfaces are great. Also the app sends usb over wifi so if you connect a midi keyboard the data is transferred to the desktop app too.

    :smile:

    I’ve been using Logic Remote for years but that last bit about being able to control it with a midi keyboard is news to me. Just wondering how scale lock works...do white keys on a midi keyboard lock to Logic Remote scales? Off to inspect thanks!

    Logic offers more than other DAWs in that price category in terms of the number of instruments and sampled content you can play with. But content aside I’m happiest with the step recording, score viewer and midi fx.

    IMO Logic is pretty much the most valuable of all DAWs when price, content, depth of features, stability and GB/IPad sync is considered. Exploring is half the fun and I’m sure you’ll be busy finding all of the hidden workflow boosts and magical features Logic has for years to come.

    Logic has stolen much of the time I used to spend on iOS, especially now that my new MBP is only slightly heavier than my iPad Pro.lol.

    With Logic Remote, an amazing tag team punch. You can connect multiple iPads and IPhones to control transport, smart instruments and faders wirelessly at the same time.

  • edited July 4

    Hi @WillieNegus I use it with the iTrack dock so go figure!
    I didn't test myself the cck3usb to wifi option but I think it's probably the original idea more than support my iTrack :lol:

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Hi @WillieNegus I use it with the iTrack dock so go figure!
    I didn't test myself the cck3usb to wifi option but I think it's probably the original idea more than support my iTrack :lol:

    Man I miss my iTrack Dock!. Sold mine last year like a dummy been missing it since🤦🏾‍♂️

  • edited July 4

    @WillieNegus said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Hi @WillieNegus I use it with the iTrack dock so go figure!
    I didn't test myself the cck3usb to wifi option but I think it's probably the original idea more than support my iTrack :lol:

    Man I miss my iTrack Dock!. Sold mine last year like a dummy been missing it since🤦🏾‍♂️

    I was considering it too but It will be the coffin for my Mini4 probably...
    I'm waiting for iPadOS and Catalina for trying Sidecar* function and be happy for the first time in ages with Apple...

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33659/video-controlling-logic-pro-x-from-ipad#latest

    *https://www.imore.com/how-use-sidecar-older-macs

  • edited July 5

    @WillieNegus @TheDubbyLabby

    What's up with the plugins? I like the GUIs and yet every time I open it I have to go through a menu to get the GUI. It ought to be the other way around, from the GUI to the menu editor. Is there a special button or setting to change this time wasting behaviour?

    Edit: OK found it tucked away in a settings menu... :/

  • Speaking of control surfaces, Gadget's Taipei is another way to scale lock/arpeggiate.

  • @LucidMusicInc said:
    @WillieNegus @TheDubbyLabby

    What's up with the plugins? I like the GUIs and yet every time I open it I have to go through a menu to get the GUI. It ought to be the other way around, from the GUI to the menu editor. Is there a special button or setting to change this time wasting behaviour?

    Edit: OK found it tucked away in a settings menu... :/

    Glad you found it. My first task in Logic was a week long UI audit and optimization to configure views, behavior and shortcuts to fit how I like to work. It can become obsessive because Logic makes it pretty easy and you can midi learn almost anything.

    Don’t forget to enable MPE in compatible instruments to fully take advantage of Logic Remote.

    @LucidMusicInc said:
    Speaking of control surfaces, Gadget's Taipei is another way to scale lock/arpeggiate.

    Care to elaborate? I haven’t used Taipei because I have no clue why/how it’s supposed to fit into the Gadget flow.

  • edited July 5

    @WillieNegus Ok I'll look into the Logic Remote (so much research to do, and Apple true to form has no user friendly PDF to go with it...) Working in Garageband is probably much simpler and I've already got all the content in it (kits, loops etc...) so I might as well make the most of it.

    Taipei is a MIDI out instrument. It's got 8 CC knobs and an XY pad, similar to the Nanokey Studio. It can do whatever you want it to, on top of the added benefit of Gadget scenes and the scale aware piano roll.

    I sketch sometimes in Gadget before sending it (midi) over to (formerly Cubasis) Logic.

    As you can see above, I'm venturing deeper into Post-Rock/Classical/Jazz/Ambient territory so MIDI sequencing is critical. I'm still releasing Progressive House and Techno (in Gadget) and with the new updated directories in Bilbao, I might jump back into Hip Hop/Drum'n'Bass.

Sign In or Register to comment.