Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Phase84

124»

Comments

• edited May 2020

@Gavinski its about half the cpu and ram usage of shockwave... love this synth

• edited May 2020

Thnx @noob. I don't find shockwave much of a cpu hog. Lack of mpe is a disadvantange for me. Does it have anything over shockwave in the sound department, FX, ease of programming or anything else, would u say?

• One of my old favorites! I'd characterize the sound as warm and full. Very realistic next to hardware. It's got a really nice polyphonic glide mode too. Also, I somehow like the pink accents on the gray of the design.
    And..it's quite petty, but the thing that prevents me from using it more often now is that to open it as an AUv3, you've got to open the standalone app first. I don't know why, but that just bugs me.

Sorry I can't compare it to the other two :#

@Gavinski said:
    Just saw this mentioned in another thread, hadn’t heard of it. Wondering for those who have all (or at least two) of them, how this compares to Shockwave and NPD?

• edited May 2020

@aleyas wut ? no need for that here ipad os 13.5

• Geez, I must not have opened it since I updated it last!! Just tried it on my end too. Glad I was wrong about that! > @noob said:

@aleyas wut ? no need for that here ipad os 13.5

• I don’t have NPD but Shockwave is really rich sounding and monophonic, P84 is polyphonic. P84 is decent, I got it on a great sale, there’s some good sounds, but I like shockwaves sound better, even though it’s only monophonic.

• Phase84 is like variant on Casio's CZ synths, whereas Shockwave is like a monophonic u-he Bazille (a more modular take on PD).

• I love this synth, presets are excellent too. Nice dark, resonant sound. Honestly reminds me of a Juno 6 for some reason. It’s a great antidote to the endless stream of overly-bright synths nowadays.

• It sounds good, has a lot of variety, good presets, reliable, doesn't use too much CPU or crash (AFAIK).

It probably won't be your center of attraction, like an Aparillo or whatever, but it's a great work horse.

• edited May 2020

it sounds nothing like a CZ..much more DX ish. and, it got one live feature thats great .. any rotary control quick tap. and u get this

• @noob oh man, that’s a great feature, all apps should offer this

• are au parameters exposed to host?

• @rototom said:
    are au parameters exposed to host?

Yes.

• @auxmux said:

@rototom said:
    are au parameters exposed to host?

Yes.

ah cool, thanks!
    going to buy. seems to be on sale...

• It is on sale 1/2 off.

• Anyone still using and enjoying this? How does it compare with Shockwave if you have both? Cheers!

• I was considering getting this (actually posted yesterday about it lol ) or Flowtones but money stuff came up last minute and I’m gonna have to wait a few days … I saw the post above yours and didn’t realize at first that it was from 2021 and almost headed to the App Store anyway 🤣

• @Fear2Stop said:
    I was considering getting this (actually posted yesterday about it lol ) or Flowtones but money stuff came up last minute and I’m gonna have to wait a few days … I saw the post above yours and didn’t realize at first that it was from 2021 and almost headed to the App Store anyway 🤣

Yeah your posts made me think about this one again. I do like these kinds of sounds.

• @Gavinski said:

@Fear2Stop said:
    I was considering getting this (actually posted yesterday about it lol ) or Flowtones but money stuff came up last minute and I’m gonna have to wait a few days … I saw the post above yours and didn’t realize at first that it was from 2021 and almost headed to the App Store anyway 🤣

Yeah your posts made me think about this one again. I do like these kinds of sounds.

I love the look too, for the same reason I vibe with ApeSoft’s visuals. There was a recent update too, so yeah if everything works out for me on Thursday I just might get this one

• Love Phase 84. Sounds so rich and warm. Shockwave sounds a lot more “alive” and “electric” but somehow more plastic too and so, despite it sounding “duller”, I still prefer Phase 84. Of course it’s all completely subjective. 😂

• @AtticusL said:
    Love Phase 84. Sounds so rich and warm. Shockwave sounds a lot more “alive” and “electric” but somehow more plastic too and so, despite it sounding “duller”, I still prefer Phase 84. Of course it’s all completely subjective. 😂

It must be subjective because I'm pretty sure I read someone saying how cold this sounds 🤣👍

Yeah, what people like in a synth varies as much as taste in music does!

• Yeah the subjective thing is odd ; without getting it up and running, my memories of this one are that it’s plastic, but in a pleasing way, like soft vinyl or a pliant kid’s toy left by the radiator too long…

• @Gavinski said:
    Anyone still using and enjoying this? How does it compare with Shockwave if you have both? Cheers!

I really like Phase84 a lot. It’s the best PD synth on the App Store and it has some cool modulation features. I haven’t used Shockwave nearly as much but it’s still a great synth.

• It's been gathering digital dust lately. But I loved it a lot back then.
    I was working a track that got too busy and will move onto another. Guess I'll have to use Phase84 and Shockwave.

From memory, I would say you're well covered with Shockwave and it should suffice.

• Shockwave is closer to uhe Bazille and it's monophonic if I recall whereas Phase84 is polyphonic and closer to CZ/ traditional PD synths.

• @Gavinski said:

@AtticusL said:
    Love Phase 84. Sounds so rich and warm. Shockwave sounds a lot more “alive” and “electric” but somehow more plastic too and so, despite it sounding “duller”, I still prefer Phase 84. Of course it’s all completely subjective. 😂

It must be subjective because I'm pretty sure I read someone saying how cold this sounds 🤣👍

Yeah, what people like in a synth varies as much as taste in music does!

That’s definitely true! Most of the Icegear synths fall flat for me , even when I’ve heard stuff using patches made by the very best . It’s not a quality issue at all, it’s just the tone doesn’t appeal. Nambu is an exception, and so is Mersenne although ironically that seems to be the least popular . So yeah it’s definitely subjective

• @Fear2Stop said:

Flowtones is my favourite from this category, produces some lovely sounds. There's a lot to like about Phase84 though and in more skilled hands than mine it could probably produce some lovely stuff too, I just struggle a bit to make it do so.