Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How compressors can color the sound(frequency domain)

Comments

• NOTICE: @flo26 has started a YouTube Channel. 2 videos up and 3 subscribers.
    I haven't watched either (yet). Later today for sure.

But, show your support and subscribe:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDtM5Bzx9w6IqYFiJj8t1Pw

• @flo26 Was there one you liked through all of the demos or did certain compressors work better with different styles?

• 4 subscribers

• I spent my first round of listening using Apple AirPods while on a walk. I suspect I bring some brand baggage into the process since I own all three and 1 was free, one costs more than I was willing to pay so I'm waiting for the sale and the third use just under my $10 rule for impulse buying.

I found the free app to be like a low cost solid state amp for tone by products: harsh but in a useful way.
    I found the $10 app to be like a really good solid state amp: clinically clean with no distortion.
    I found the expensive app to be like a classic tube amp: warm and wooly in a good way. No sharp edges.

Of course, these are from my vocabulary of talking about guitar tone. I might grab them to enforce the
    musical values I associate with edgy, clean and wooly sounding guitar.

I'm sure I couldn't accurate pick out the right tool if they were scrambled and I had to guess. But as presented I resolved to share my thoughts in this summary and hopefully get more to weigh in and help use learn what to listen for and how to listen to these demos. Just seeing the knob settings is worth really $'s to me.

Too bad he didn't use the NYCompressor which I already own from the greatest bundle of 2018 which has been "re-structured".

It will gnaw at me to get the MagicDeathEye for some "die in the wool" (sic) tone.

• @McD said:
    I spent my first round of listening using Apple AirPods while on a walk. I suspect I bring some brand baggage into the process since I own all three and 1 was free, one costs more than I was willing to pay so I'm waiting for the sale and the third use just under my $10 rule for impulse buying.

I found the free app to be like a low cost solid state amp for tone by products: harsh but in a useful way.
    I found the $10 app to be like a really good solid state amp: clinically clean with no distortion.
    I found the expensive app to be like a classic tube amp: warm and wooly in a good way. No sharp edges.

Of course, these are from my vocabulary of talking about guitar tone. I might grab them to enforce the
    musical values I associate with edgy, clean and wooly sounding guitar.

I'm sure I couldn't accurate pick out the right tool if they were scrambled and I had to guess. But as presented I resolved to share my thoughts in this summary and hopefully get more to weigh in and help use learn what to listen for and how to listen to these demos. Just seeing the knob settings is worth really $'s to me.

Too bad he didn't use the NYCompressor which I already own from the greatest bundle of 2018 which has been "re-structured".

It will gnaw at me to get the MagicDeathEye for some "die in the wool" (sic) tone.

OH, yeah I still need to listen with my best headphones or on some decent speakers for more sonic detail.

• OK. Better headphones and I'm probably still projecting but I'll stand by the characterization of the 3 displayed tones.

Good tube tone
    Good Solid State
    Lower Cost Amp (might have a tube too but more likely some Amp modeling software)

I'm hoping there are more here that care about these sonic details and can weigh in.

Don't you wish there was an app that could give you those hands on your guitar parts?

• Great video! And great guitar player too!

I just listened to it and although I used my standard Apple Earpods the differences are very noticeable. Unfortunately the clean sound is a few dB lower so it’s almost impossible to properly compare it with the compressed sounds (your brain will always lie to you making you believe the louder sound is better).

In my opinion it would depend on the song and/or the music style which compressor I would use, but it would be either MagicDeathEye or BlueMangoo. The first one sounds really vintage, with warm low tones and a nice bright, while the second is very neutral with nice natural guitar tones. The third one sounds a little bit synthetic to me with some harsh mid tones and some lack of clarity, something I wouldn’t use for a guitar.

Again, I used just the standard Apple Earpods (not the best tool for judging subtle sound differences) so that is something to consider. I’ll try to listen to it later at home with my ATH-M50 and my Shure SRH headphones,

• @Rodolfo said:
    Great video! And great guitar player too!

I just listened to it and although I used my standard Apple Earpods the differences are very noticeable. Unfortunately the clean sound is a few dB lower so it’s almost impossible to properly compare it with the compressed sounds (your brain will always lie to you making you believe the louder sound is better).

In my opinion it would depend on the song and/or the music style which compressor I would use, but it would be either MagicDeathEye or BlueMangoo. The first one sounds really vintage, with warm low tones and a nice bright, while the second is very neutral with nice natural guitar tones. The third one sounds a little bit synthetic to me with some harsh mid tones and some lack of clarity, something I wouldn’t use for a guitar.

Again, I used just the standard Apple Earpods (not the best tool for judging subtle sound differences) so that is something to consider. I’ll try to listen to it later at home with my ATH-M50 and my Shure SRH headphones,

Thank you for weighing in with your thoughts. (Did I mention I was glad there wasn't a narration in french?).

I do think a complex waveform like the electric guitar helps show the character of these "virtual" studio devices so you can make these judgements about tone.

• edited June 2019

Thanks a lot everyone for subscribing!!
    Much appreciated!
    I’ll have news very soon about more professional things to come.
    I’ll surely need your help.
    I’ll take time to explain this to you in a new thread.
    More to follow.
    Thanks again!
    Flo

• Stupid YouTube won’t let me subscribe. Will try again later.