Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad sequencers to ableton AU / vst

This is probably on here somewhere but I couldn't dig it up..
I'm curious if I can run an instance or more! Of steppolyarp / atom / stepbud etc etc... From my iPad to sequence synths like pigments etc in Ableton...
And if so what hardware do I need..
I have the cck and that's about it besides an audio interface with no midi 🤐

Comments

• If you have a Mac I think you can just plug in with lightning cable and use IDAM.

• Lots of options. If you have a Mac, you can pair your iPad to your computer using Bluetooth under Audio / MIDI settings. Then use Ableton to route midi channels to your VST tracks. Load your MIDI AU in AUM or Audiobus and route them to specific MIDI channels of the Mac.

On a PC or Mac, there's also MIDI over WiFi. On Mac, it's also easy to enable using MIDI/Audio Settings. On a PC, use RTPMidi: https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

• I use Midimux over usb lightning cable to Windows.

• DCJDCJ
    edited May 2019

IDAM is super easy if you’re using a Mac. Just finished a session with Aphelian sending midi to Ableton.

Plug in your iPad then go to audio midi settings on your comp. Open up the midi tab and you should see iPad as an option at the bottom. Click enable.

iPad is now a midi source available to any DAW. Make sure you enable Track in the midi options in Ableton. Sync only matters if you’re sending midi clock. You can then select iPad as a midi input on any synth.

• This is good news fellas! Thanks for the info...
    I can't wait to get outta work and try it!
    Especially if I can sequence multiple synths via AUM!

• I do have a MacBook!

• IDAM works flawless!!
    Freaking awesome thanks dudes

• @reasOne said:
    I do have a MacBook!

Dude. That is a YouTube channel worthy setup.

• @DCJ said:

@reasOne said:
    I do have a MacBook!

Dude. That is a YouTube channel worthy setup.

Thanks man! I appreciate that, the work environment to me provides a lot of motivation and inspiration so I have to enjoy it!!
    If I had better camera skills and video skills I would be doing that! I want to... But I'm just not there skill wise and limited time I get I gotta jam music hehe... I really want to I one day tho

• A fugue machine riff in Ableton piano roll. A wonderful thing

• Awesome! Do you have Quantum? I love to set up a sequence and then send different notes to different channels, and have different synths in Ableton on each channel. I think a combined iPad/desktop workflow is an incredible thing of beauty.

• @DCJ said:
    Awesome! Do you have Quantum? I love to set up a sequence and then send different notes to different channels, and have different synths in Ableton on each channel. I think a combined iPad/desktop workflow is an incredible thing of beauty.

I don't have quantum, but I keep eyeing it..
    I have a lot of iOS sequencers tho
    Aphelian, atom, fugue, rozeta, steppolyarp, krft, zynthesizer, step bud, physicals, refractions, xequence, senogrid, senode, and more I can't think of haha
    But ya I'm really loving iOS + ableton it's working out well

• @reasOne said:
    A fugue machine riff in Ableton piano roll. A wonderful thing

Right, that’s my next project! Going to see if I can do a multi channel recording via AUM.

• @MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:

Right, that’s my next project! Going to see if I can do a multi channel recording via AUM.

Yes. That’s very powerful. I use AUM and my MacBook Pro using iConnectivity MIDI4+, with all of the MIDI channels showing up in AUM’s MIDI matrix.

• edited May 2019

@DWP510 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:

Yes. That’s very powerful. I use AUM and my MacBook Pro using iConnectivity MIDI4+, with all of the MIDI channels showing up in AUM’s MIDI matrix.

Ah cool. Don't have iConnectivity MIDI4+ but I'll see if I can record multiple channels via AUM and IDAM - I think @reasOne managed this. If not I can record the tracks one at a time.

• @MonzoPro said:

@DWP510 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:

Ah cool. Don't have iConnectivity MIDI4+ but I'll see if I can record multiple channels via AUM and IDAM - I think @reasOne managed this. If not I can record the tracks one at a time.

You’ve got 16 channels so it shouldn’t be a problem! You just set the output channel of whichever app (or route through AUM) to match the input in your DAW for each synth. Super easy with Ableton.

• edited May 2019

@DCJ said:

@MonzoPro said:

@DWP510 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:

You’ve got 16 channels so it shouldn’t be a problem! You just set the output channel of whichever app (or route through AUM) to match the input in your DAW for each synth. Super easy with Ableton.

Thanks, yeah got this working earlier. I much prefer the MIDI routing in Ableton to Reason, really straightforward. Only issue I had was getting the Mac to pick up the iPad, but got there in the end!

I think I’ll start putting together some MIDI sequences on the iPad, for recording into Ableton now, seems like a good workflow to try out.

• edited May 2019

Having no problem with FM , steppolyarp so far as far as routing.. To individual channel's
    I'm not having luck getting atom or kb-1 to work without having "all channels" enabled in Ableton... If I set atom up to say, channel 3 then I get nothing, but all channels works, same as kb1
    That's as far as I've tested so far

Hoping to use @brambos rozeta to control cc stuff in synths in Ableton... We'll see!

• Looking good sir 👊🏼™️ @reasOne

• @echoopera said:
    Looking good sir 👊🏼™️ @reasOne

Thanks my man!

• Been using iconnect audio4+ to route audio and midi from iPad to Ableton for some time and love it. Reliable with low latency.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Been using iconnect audio4+ to route audio and midi from iPad to Ableton for some time and love it. Reliable with low latency.

Are you using hardware too?

• edited May 2019

@reasOne said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Been using iconnect audio4+ to route audio and midi from iPad to Ableton for some time and love it. Reliable with low latency.

Are you using hardware too?

Yep, I connected a usb powered hub directly into the back of the iconnect so I can hook up all my hardware gear direct to iPad and my PC at the same time. It also has midi DIN I/O which I use.

• edited May 2019

@reasOne said:
    Having no problem with FM , steppolyarp so far as far as routing.. To individual channel's
    I'm not having luck getting atom or kb-1 to work without having "all channels" enabled in Ableton... If I set atom up to say, channel 3 then I get nothing, but all channels works, same as kb1
    That's as far as I've tested so far

Hoping to use @brambos rozeta to control cc stuff in synths in Ableton... We'll see!

Yeah I had to set KB-1 to all channels too - a lot of latency with it, Geoshred seemed a bit better. Will try Atom over the next few days - bummer if it’s not multi channel though.

Overall it’s a cool thing, and I think I’ll use Steppolyarp, Riffer, Fugue and Aphelian (haven’t tested that yet) with Live, but the latency on mine is too much for live recording with keyboard apps - yours seems a lot quicker than mine in your vid.

• That's strange @MonzoPro I'm getting zero latency that I can notice...
    What version of osx?

• Also let me know how aphelian goes!

• Aphelian works like a charm!

• @DCJ said:
    Aphelian works like a charm!

Raaaaaaad

• @reasOne said:
    That's strange @MonzoPro I'm getting zero latency that I can notice...
    What version of osx?

I’ll check. Is it dependent on WiFi speeds? Could be that, the connection is not great here, plus it’s an old laptop.