Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi loading of presets in Audiobus working only randomly

Hi everyone, I have a set list that I set up prior to the latest Audiobus 3 release (iPad Pro first gen) and I was loading the next presets using midi, in order, and it worked fine. Now with the load previous and next midi options, it only works on about 7 of the 11 songs in my set list. I have renamed the songs to put them in order (basically using A. First song B. Second song etc.). I have gone through every preset to make sure all preexisting midi assignments have been deleted, and still there are a few songs that will simply not respond, or some that will respond to previous but not next. Audiobus is seeing my midi controller when I use midi learn, and it’s also working fine with launching apps. I also deleted all the global profiles just to make sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• @girlvsworld said:
    Hi everyone, I have a set list that I set up prior to the latest Audiobus 3 release (iPad Pro first gen) and I was loading the next presets using midi, in order, and it worked fine. Now with the load previous and next midi options, it only works on about 7 of the 11 songs in my set list. I have renamed the songs to put them in order (basically using A. First song B. Second song etc.). I have gone through every preset to make sure all preexisting midi assignments have been deleted, and still there are a few songs that will simply not respond, or some that will respond to previous but not next. Audiobus is seeing my midi controller when I use midi learn, and it’s also working fine with launching apps. I also deleted all the global profiles just to make sure. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know if this is related at all but many of the MIDI bindings I set up prior to the last update didn't work after the update. I have been resetting them and they seem fine now.

• Thanks - how do you reset them all? I have been going through them all to make sure there were no old assignments hanging around. But on one song in the midi learn presets pane, I have a little white dot next to the next preset, which I cannot get rid of, even though there are no midi assignments attached to that preset.

• I even tried creating a new Audiobus preset and it still doesn’t work.

• @girlvsworld said:
    Thanks - how do you reset them all? I have been going through them all to make sure there were no old assignments hanging around. But on one song in the midi learn presets pane, I have a little white dot next to the next preset, which I cannot get rid of, even though there are no midi assignments attached to that preset.

Ah, sorry to say that I can't help you there. I clear the old binding and start fresh and it seems to "take".

• I'm on parent duty today but I'll look into this tomorrow

• @Michael Thanks I figured it out! It was as simple as numbering my set list, instead of listing them alphabetically. So A. Song B. Song C.song doesn’t work, but 1. Song 2. Song 3. Song does. I stupidly spent a lot of time trying other ways to fix it 😀

But it did bring up this question, what is a good file naming practice? I noticed today that changing the names (so they’ll be in order) in Audiobus would sometimes lead to loading the incorrect AUM file or creating a new AUM file with the new name . Is it best to rename the AUM file to match the Audiobus session too, or can it just point to the old file? Do I have to save individually or does just saving the AB session automatically save the AUM as well? Also I have to rename all my Patterning songs too since I have to open them manually (it’s easier if they are in the set list order).

Our band is playing our fourth show, I used the same set list the first three shows because everything was working beautifully and I didn’t want to mess with the mojo. But it seems like a lot of work and confusion putting a set list together!

• *I use Audiobus for its ability to launch Patterning, to launch AB or AUM while Patterning is the focus, and AUM because of its key splits, transposing and multiple outs!

• Whoa. That's strange! I'll get that fixed shortly, anyway.

I'm not sure how AUM or Patterning works there, so I'm afraid I'm probably not the right person to ask!

• Thanks @Michael!

Maybe @j_liljedahl can help me out.

• @girlvsworld said:
    Thanks @Michael!

When you save an Audiobus preset that has AUM in it, AUM will just store its state in the Audiobus preset. It will not save a session file in AUM, and does not need to. AUM picks up the Audiobus preset name via the ABStateDictionaryPresetNameKey (dev details).

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@girlvsworld said:
    Also I have to rename all my Patterning songs too since I have to open them manually (it’s easier if they are in the set list order).

I sure wish Patterning / Patterning 2 had AB State Saving.

That’s not a Guild D-25M guitar in your profile photo by chance, is it? My first steel string ... still a good ’un.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@girlvsworld said:
    Thanks @Michael!

When you save an Audiobus preset that has AUM in it, AUM will just store its state in the Audiobus preset. It will not save a session file in AUM, and does not need to. AUM picks up the Audiobus preset name via the ABStateDictionaryPresetNameKey (dev details).

Thanks for your help, that’s good to know! So if I make further changes to the AUM file, I don’t have to save it in AUM because that information gets saved in Audiobus?

• @wim said:

@girlvsworld said:
    Also I have to rename all my Patterning songs too since I have to open them manually (it’s easier if they are in the set list order).

I sure wish Patterning / Patterning 2 had AB State Saving.

That’s not a Guild D-25M guitar in your profile photo by chance, is it? My first steel string ... still a good ’un.

You and me both!

That’s actually a Kala baritone ukulele in that photo, but I do have Guild Starfire IV which I love deeply. :)

• @girlvsworld said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@girlvsworld said:
    Thanks @Michael!

Thanks for your help, that’s good to know! So if I make further changes to the AUM file, I don’t have to save it in AUM because that information gets saved in Audiobus?

Yeah, it's two separate things. AUM can save a session locally as a file in AUM, and it can save its session in an Audiobus preset. So if you're using Audiobus presets, you'll need to re-save that preset in Audiobus after making any change in AUM.

• @girlvsworld said:
    @Michael Thanks I figured it out! It was as simple as numbering my set list, instead of listing them alphabetically. So A. Song B. Song C.song doesn’t work, but 1. Song 2. Song 3. Song does. I stupidly spent a lot of time trying other ways to fix it 😀

Hello again! Sorry this took so long for me to get onto it - I took a look once or twice but found myself baffled each time, too-hard-basket'd it and moved on =) So I was wondering if there might be a simple explanation: the order that Audiobus loads "Next" and "Previous" presets is the order the preset list is currently set to, which can be by name or by date. Is there a chance you had it set to order by date?

• Hi @Michael - no, it was order by name - but I recently got an ipad 6th gen to be my backup and ordering the presets by letters instead of numbers works fine, so I wonder if it’s a first gen iPad Pro thing?

• So weird! I've no idea, as far as I'm concerned at this point it could have been fairies! Most mysterious

• @michael any chance we can get folders, or have the numbers order correctly (so that 10 doesn’t end up between 1 and 2?) . Having multiple sets with multiple bands is getting hard to manage. Thank you!

• @girlvsworld said:
    @michael any chance we can get folders, or have the numbers order correctly (so that 10 doesn’t end up between 1 and 2?) . Having multiple sets with multiple bands is getting hard to manage. Thank you!

Numbering such as 001, 002, 101,102, etc would help with this.

• @wim said:

@girlvsworld said:
    @michael any chance we can get folders, or have the numbers order correctly (so that 10 doesn’t end up between 1 and 2?) . Having multiple sets with multiple bands is getting hard to manage. Thank you!

Yeah I do that. But it still can get confusing when you have 4 different set lists and one band keeps adding new songs in the middle!

• @girlvsworld said:

@wim said:

@girlvsworld said:

Yeah I do that. But it still can get confusing when you have 4 different set lists and one band keeps adding new songs in the middle!

so funny, I have a bunch of songs that have "aa" or "aaa" or "aaaa" or "zzzz" at the front of the preset name.

• Yup folders are coming very soon! I'll fix the numeric ordering too

• @Michael said:
    Yup folders are coming very soon! I'll fix the numeric ordering too

Awesome, thank you!