Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

The posts following this one: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/735504/#Comment_735504 have some discussion about event priority. Based on @_ki's post, it does appear that @OnNewBar should log before @OnMidiNoteOn, so the cause is definitely that the first new bar event doesn't fire until the beginning of the second bar. @OnHostStartwill do it for ya' though.

• heshes
    edited May 2020

[deleted]

• Is it possible to log the current timestamp? That would tell if the log entry is coming near the beginning of the first or second bar.

• I already demonstrated the cause: @OnNewBar doesn't fire at the start of the initial bar. It's easy to work around by using @OnHostStart to capture the beginning bar. Timestamps, etc. aren't needed.

• Just tossing out debugging tips. Not trying to fix anything. Sorry if I offended you.

• @xor said:
    Just tossing out debugging tips. Not trying to fix anything. Sorry if I offended you.

No offense taken. Sorry if it sounded that way.

• Ok, @OnNewBar doesn’t/shouldn’t happen until HostBar changes. Technically it doesn’t “change” until the beginning of the second measure. What it looks like to me, is that the AUM transport doesn’t report the initial state of HostBar (or perhaps Mozaic doesn’t look for it) in time to be available when the first @OnMIDINoteOn occurs. It’s not about the order of events inside of Mozaic. It’s that HostBar doesn’t change in time for @OnMIDINoteOn to get its correct state.

I’ve looked at this with logging several dozen different ways, and it’s the only conclusion I can come to. When Mozaic DOES become aware of a change in HostBar (does it get it from AUM?), one or more midinotes may have already been received. The condition isn’t consistent either, which also leads me to believe it’s a timing issue between AUM and Mozaic, NOT a failure in Mozaic.

The script I’m writing depends on knowing which measure a note begins in, and this condition prevents its accuracy, so it would be helpful if someone could take a look. I’d be happy to share my script with a dev if it will help.

Thanks!

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

Best to ping @brambos at this point probably.

In my tests I found no inconsistency other than that the first new bar isn’t picked up on the initial host start, but only after the end of the first bar, which is manageable. But apparently your results differ.

• I did send him a message. He's undoubtedly a busy guy! I don't know if i read in other posts that he's working on something new. Maybe... I have most of his stuff and look forward to anything new from him.

btw, when i put in a delay script before my mozaic script, to delay MIDINotes by 30 milliseconds and now mozaic has more time to post the hostbar before my notes get there. It's working great. 30 ms doesn't affect the output much, and if it did, i could always send the midi stream to xequence so i could shift it back.

i don't mind a workaround if it gets the job done. btw, i WAS seeing a newbar at the host start.

anyway, thx again...

• edited June 2020

Hallo! I just got in love with Chordulator script.

But I am wondering, is there anyway to use my own chords?? But still use all Chordulator settings to change/arpeggiate them??

I’m just salivating to imagine how it can sound using it along with Suggester’s state of the art chords.

Great job the guy who did it!

Thanks in advance.

• I really need that arpeggiator power Chordulator has. Or how can I find a really powerful arpeggiator which doesn’t do arpeggios like a machine !!!

• McDMcD
    edited June 2020

@ecce_cello said:
    I really need that arpeggiator power Chordulator has. Or how can I find a really powerful arpeggiator which doesn’t do arpeggios like a machine !!!

Can you clarify what that might mean to you? Interesting note order or not playing precise BPM sliced rhythms for example. Did you try "In-order Arp v1.0" after "The-Chordulator"?

There are other currently available scripts that drop notes and you could arp at a high rate and drop notes like crazy and get something closer to organic without anyone having to write you a script. But maybe someone will hear your request (once you make it clear) and write an arp script.

The trick with getting someone to write you code is convincing them they might use it too.

If they don't need it they usually want to know many might and it would have a community of users. So, getting a lot of folks to chime in and say "That would be great" is another way to create some excitement but you need to share your vision in some detail.

People don't play like machines but no 2 are alike. Tricky request. A piece of music that has an arp you like can speak volumes to a developer. Something to analyze and re-create in code.

My next experiment will be The-Chordulator -> In-Order-Arp -> (a randomizer script) to see what comes out. Is it more human?

UPDATE: I found 2 randomizers:
    Probability Gate
    Note Probability

Not more human but interesting anyway. Lot's of potential around the idea of arps in Mozaic but everyone is deep into Drambo and/or MiFiRack (modular) and not coding unless they have a problem.

• @McD Thanks a lot for your answer.

Chordulator creates chords from a given pattern, and then randomizes or “humanizes” the chord with all its parameters.

I just want to use that, but connecting it to other midi chords (from other apps like Suggester) where you can create more complex and specific chords.

Yes, sorry, Chordulator doesn’t “arpeggiate”.

So basically I want Chordulator being fed my other chords from the outside world. 😀

• @ecce_cello said:
    So basically I want Chordulator being fed my other chords from the outside world. 😀

It was designed to be given single notes. I suspect if you give it a chord it will process them all to major or minor chords.

Have you considered sending any chord app into the "In-Order-Arp v1.0". I'm going to check that out. I don't have "Suggester" but I'll look in the toy box.

• Also I tried many arpeggiators... and I don’t like any!! I just love the ThumbJam arpeggiator.

But it only works by touching its UI ... and I need to activate the arpeggiator from an external midi source.

Only Rozeta Aroeggio is ok. But it misses On shot, Gate, Drop notes ... :(

• @ecce_cello said:
    Also I tried many arpeggiators... and I don’t like any!!

There are not a lot of mozaic arps. There should be more.

I just love the ThumbJam arpeggiator.

You probably wrote that earlier... I'll check it out.

But it only works by touching its UI ... and I need to activate the arpeggiator from an external midi source.

Exactly... one finger or one held note for input.

Only Rozeta Aroeggio is ok. But it misses On shot, Gate, Drop notes ... :(

I have that one too... I'll see how it behaves.

• heshes
    edited June 2020

@McD said:

@ecce_cello said:
    I just love the ThumbJam arpeggiator.

You probably wrote that earlier... I'll check it out.

Exactly... one finger or one held note for input.

What, then, does the "Use With Arpeggiator" option for midi input do, if anything?
    "Use With Arpeggiator: When this option is enabled, and the arpeggiator is active, MIDI note input will be used to control the arpeggiated notes, otherwise MIDI input will be independent of the arpeggiator."
    https://thumbjam.com/docs.php#midi

• @hes said:
    What, then, does the "Use With Arpeggiator" option for midi input do, if anything?
    "Use With Arpeggiator: When this option is enabled, and the arpeggiator is active, MIDI note input will be used to control the arpeggiated notes, otherwise MIDI input will be independent of the arpeggiator."
    https://thumbjam.com/docs.php#midi

Thanks for the manual... you are correct. The Thumbjam Arpeggiator accepts MIDI "one-finger" notes IN and can output MIDI notes. It works well in AUM and has Ableton Link as well to allow AUM to Start/Stop the Arp.

It is a killer arp functionality with a dozen or so cool options. I love cranking up the
    notes per beat and increasing the notes dropped and varying the swing and I think it's velocity. It's very human.

Mission accomplished.

Assuming AUM is OK. I suspect plumbing to with AudioBus would also allow it to function well in other DAW's.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@ecce_cello said:
    Hallo! I just got in love with Chordulator script.

But I am wondering, is there anyway to use my own chords?? But still use all Chordulator settings to change/arpeggiate them??

I’m just salivating to imagine how it can sound using it along with Suggester’s state of the art chords.

Great job the guy who did it!

Thanks in advance.

Hi, sorry for not answering earlier, I was on the road all day today.

No, The Chordulator cannot deal with chords. For reasons I won’t go into right now, that’s something I’ve deemed impractical to do well with Mozaic. It’s been requested before, but I won’t be attempting it. There are a few comments on the patch storage, and more detailed discussion deep in the bowels of this thread as to why. But in a nutshell...

The problem is with detecting what a chord actually is since notes can arrive with different timing, overlap each other, etc.. To make a long story short, unless you’re generating the chords from within Mozaic itself, it gets really, really tricky.

There are some great scripts out there for dialing in randomization and humanization. Perhaps there are some that you can feed outputs from arpeggiators into to get the humanization you’re looking for.

Thanks for the kind words about the script. Sorry it can’t be taken in the hoped for direction.

• @hes HOLLY SHIT!!!

Man. Years working with Thumbjam... days trying to find an arpeggiator. And it’s just there!! 😃

This is like when you try to find the love of your life for years, and when you give up, you realize it was that same person who was by your side all this time. Just needed someone else to let u know.

Thanks a lot. Thank youuuuuu

• @ecce_cello said:
    @hes HOLLY SHIT!!!

Man. Years working with Thumbjam... days trying to find an arpeggiator. And it’s just there!! 😃

This is like when you try to find the love of your life for years, and when you give up, you realize it was that same person who was by your side all this time. Just needed someone else to let u know.

If any Mozaic scripter decides to create a new arp script the Thumbjam provides excellent ideas to implement for pattern options, randomness, swing, etc. Until then I'm going to
    get some inspiration from Thumbjam in a few projects.

Good questions can lead to new and interesting destinations.

• edited June 2020

@wim Thanks for your answer and for your interesting work.
    @McD Also thanks for dynamizing this post. I’m so happyyyyyy

Thumjam arpeggiator is an state of the art device. Superb work @sonosaurus !!

• @ecce_cello said:

It would be exciting if they decided to update or replace ThumbJam with a new
    product. It has so many great features but is slowly falling behind current Apple API
    details. Sad but they gave us many good years of service.

• @ecce_cello said:

Thanks! Glad you found it... as are most TJ features, it's buried!

• @sonosaurus not to put you on the spot but any future plans on Thumjam AUv3? Possibly With multi out for using a few instruments at a time...? No pressure. Lol.

• @motmeister said:
    Ok, @OnNewBar doesn’t/shouldn’t happen until HostBar changes. Technically it doesn’t “change” until the beginning of the second measure. What it looks like to me, is that the AUM transport doesn’t report the initial state of HostBar (or perhaps Mozaic doesn’t look for it) in time to be available when the first @OnMIDINoteOn occurs. It’s not about the order of events inside of Mozaic. It’s that HostBar doesn’t change in time for @OnMIDINoteOn to get its correct state.

I’ve looked at this with logging several dozen different ways, and it’s the only conclusion I can come to. When Mozaic DOES become aware of a change in HostBar (does it get it from AUM?), one or more midinotes may have already been received. The condition isn’t consistent either, which also leads me to believe it’s a timing issue between AUM and Mozaic, NOT a failure in Mozaic.

The script I’m writing depends on knowing which measure a note begins in, and this condition prevents its accuracy, so it would be helpful if someone could take a look. I’d be happy to share my script with a dev if it will help.

Thanks!

@motmeister Did you ever get a response from @brambos on this? I have a similar issue and believe that there is a problem where AUM and MOZAIC don’t communicate Hostbeat when host is stopped.

So, hitting the reset HostBeat/Bar button in AUM does NOT update the Hostbeat value in Mozaic when transport is stopped (ie: after you hit the play/pause button to stop)

Hitting AUM reset transport whilst in playback will reliably reset HostBeat in Mozaic.

If check the log with this Little Mozaic script in AUM you can see HostBeat is reset when in playback but not when host is stopped.

The annoying part about this is that its very difficult to start AUM and Mozaic on HostBeat = 0

`

@OnHostStart
    Log {---- started ---}
    @End

@OnHostStop
    Log {---- stopped ----}
    @End

@OnNewBeat
    Log {Hostbeat: }, HostBeat
    @End

@OnNewBar
    Log {--- new bar ---}
    @End

`

• edited June 2020

@soundtemple said:

@motmeister said:
    Ok, @OnNewBar doesn’t/shouldn’t happen until HostBar changes. Technically it doesn’t “change” until the beginning of the second measure. What it looks like to me, is that the AUM transport doesn’t report the initial state of HostBar (or perhaps Mozaic doesn’t look for it) in time to be available when the first @OnMIDINoteOn occurs. It’s not about the order of events inside of Mozaic. It’s that HostBar doesn’t change in time for @OnMIDINoteOn to get its correct state.

Thanks!

@motmeister Did you ever get a response from @brambos on this? I have a similar issue and believe that there is a problem where AUM and MOZAIC don’t communicate Hostbeat when host is stopped.

So, hitting the reset HostBeat/Bar button in AUM does NOT update the Hostbeat value in Mozaic when transport is stopped (ie: after you hit the play/pause button to stop)

Hitting AUM reset transport whilst in playback will reliably reset HostBeat in Mozaic.

If check the log with this Little Mozaic script in AUM you can see HostBeat is reset when in playback but not when host is stopped.

The annoying part about this is that its very difficult to start AUM and Mozaic on HostBeat = 0

`

@OnHostStart
    Log {---- started ---}
    @End

@OnHostStop
    Log {---- stopped ----}
    @End

@OnNewBeat
    Log {Hostbeat: }, HostBeat
    @End

@OnNewBar
    Log {--- new bar ---}
    @End

`

I'm looking into this now. Would you (@soundtemple and @motmeister ) be interested in checking out a beta-version to see if the issue has been reliably fixed?

Just to get the issue clear, it's not about receiving the @OnNewBar event when the transport isn't running, but about getting the correct value from the HostBar variable?

• After playing with Drambo I want that morph slider just everywhere) Very handy thing when going live.
    I thoght is it possible to replicate it in Mozaic to simultaneously control bunch of synth and auv3 fx parametrs?

• @lazyass said:
    After playing with Drambo I want that morph slider just everywhere) Very handy thing when going live.
    I thoght is it possible to replicate it in Mozaic to simultaneously control bunch of synth and auv3 fx parametrs?

Not exactly the same thing, but along the same lines: https://patchstorage.com/midi-morph-pad-2/

• @wim, no the same but looks pretty nearly. I'll put it on a test today, thanks for link