Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fake It Till You Make It: Make Your Performances Sound Convincing-Daveypoo, Mobile Music Minstrel

Bulls#!t your way through your tracks with my latest video!

Comments

• Perhaps the video could be more accurately described as learning how to use some essential elements used by people who regularly play an instrument that you too can learn with minimal effort for maximum effect.

• While that is a more accurate description, it isn't as catchy!

:wink:

Hope you got something out of it, at any rate - thank you so much for watching!

• Awesome video, Dave! You're the man!

• Thanks, @senhorlampada - I often feel with these non-iOS videos that I'm playing darts in the dark, not knowing what's going to hit the target and resonate with folks. I appreciate the positive feedback quite a bit!

• When recording keyboards, I like to record a performance, but with my meagre keyboard skills, I can’t do that if I’m worrying about playing all the right notes. I get around that by recording the midi data and ignoring the wrong notes during the take, then editing the midi data afterwards to correct it. That way I can focus on and preserve the expressive qualities of the part. It works especially well with improvisations, as I often have a note or phrase in mind and hit the wrong keys entirely. :)

• @Daveypoo said:
    While that is a more accurate description, it isn't as catchy!

...and would absolutely contradict the essence of the video, right? 😎

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    When recording keyboards, I like to record a performance, but with my meagre keyboard skills, I can’t do that if I’m worrying about playing all the right notes. I get around that by recording the midi data and ignoring the wrong notes during the take, then editing the midi data afterwards to correct it. That way I can focus on and preserve the expressive qualities of the part. It works especially well with improvisations, as I often have a note or phrase in mind and hit the wrong keys entirely. :)

Absolutely - I do this all the time, with more than just keys. I'll play 2 or 3 guitar solos, snip out the pieces I like and edit them together into a single solo that sounds competent. Other times I'll sequence a part then go back and play it live as a second track, then merge the two. I'll play something sloppily and then "massage" the MIDI notes to be where I need them.

There aren't any rules here - whatever steps you need to take to get the end result. It's amazing how much you can do when you're armed with just a LITTLE knowledge!

• @LeonKowalski said:

@Daveypoo said:

...and would absolutely contradict the essence of the video, right? 😎

True - remember, this stuff is at least 50% marketing!

• @Daveypoo said:
    Thanks, @senhorlampada - I often feel with these non-iOS videos that I'm playing darts in the dark, not knowing what's going to hit the target and resonate with folks. I appreciate the positive feedback quite a bit!

BTW, not sure if it would be an easy task. But there could be a part 2 where you apply these concepts while programming midi. Or editing recorded midi. A Daveypoo guide to humanizing skynet :lol:

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    ... ignoring the wrong notes during the take, then editing the midi data afterwards to correct it.

That's an interesting take :cookie:

• @senhorlampada said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Thanks, @senhorlampada - I often feel with these non-iOS videos that I'm playing darts in the dark, not knowing what's going to hit the target and resonate with folks. I appreciate the positive feedback quite a bit!

BTW, not sure if it would be an easy task. But there could be a part 2 where you apply these concepts while programming midi. Or editing recorded midi. A Daveypoo guide to humanizing skynet :lol:

Dang - that's not a bad idea...

• @Daveypoo said:
    Bulls#!t your way through your tracks with my latest video!

GReat vid and advice~
    !

• edited May 2019

@Daveypoo said:

Absolutely - I do this all the time, with more than just keys. I'll play 2 or 3 guitar solos, snip out the pieces I like and edit them together into a single solo that sounds competent.

I read an interview with Adrian Belew where he related that he’d had to learn a particularly fiendish guitar part that Fripp had played on a Bowie track in order to recreate it for the live show. It contained huge intervallic leaps at odd places, giving the track a chaotic and anarchic flavour, but making it very hard to play. It was only years later when he joined Fripp in King Crimson that he learned that Fripp had recorded several alternative guitar parts and randomly switched between them on the mixing desk...

• edited May 2019

Good work, Dave. Showing how much can be done with very little stretches the neophyte’s imagination. And also knowing the different parameters possible such as dynamics, phrasing, syncopation, etc. gives more tools in the toolbox.

Here is how the composer Ligeti (think Kubrick’s 2001) handled the beauty of limitations. He composed 11 short pieces, each growing in complexity and adding notes. He had to use all the tricks.

• edited May 2019

Amazing video @Daveypoo I share it at IG/FB. Idk if I have your IG but if you are there I can tag you for sure!

Thanks mate

• Thanks, everyone - I'm glad the message came through. I found out very early on that I got frustrated with all the notes, and struggled with "play this scale over these changes, but then this scale over this chord, and then this...." it was just too much for me to ingest, and I couldn't "hear" what I wanted to play with all that info. I can't process all that in the heat of the jam, and so I learned to focus my attention on all the OTHER aspects of the music making.

There's a great book by the bassist Victor Wooten called The Music Lesson. In it he lists 10 different aspects to music-making, only one of which is Notes. What's so eye-opening about the book is the focus on all the more intangible aspects of performing and how they are all equally, or potentially MORE important than just the notes.

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Lesson-Spiritual-Search-Through/dp/0425220931

FULL DISCLOSURE: I did take "lessons" with Victor during a very impressionable time in my life. He is an astounding educator, and was very generous to placate a nervous teenager who just wanted to learn something from his hero.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Amazing video @Daveypoo I share it at IG/FB. Idk if I have your IG but if you are there I can tag you for sure!

Thanks mate

Glad you enjoyed it! I still regret that we weren't able to connect last year when I was in your town.... next time!

Yeah, you can share it - that's fantastic. Here's my IG: https://www.instagram.com/mobilemusicminstrel/

• Great video! 👍
    Like your style @Daveypoo ! 😊

• Very very good advices here!
    Well done dave!!

• @flo26 said:
    Very very good advices here!
    Well done dave!!

Thanks, Flo - I'm embarrassed that you had to sit through my terrible guitar playing but I appreciate you watching!

• edited May 2019

It was not a video about guitar playing,right😉😉?
    Things you talk about in this video are really,really important!
    Once again,well done man!
    Cheers!!

• @Daveypoo said:

:wink:

Hope you got something out of it, at any rate - thank you so much for watching!

I think it was very useful and may even get me to push myself in terms of using my guitar which has long been neglected as your video shows how learning even small techniques can be effectively used in your creations.

• @InfoCheck said:
    I think it was very useful and may even get me to push myself in terms of using my guitar which has long been neglected as your video shows how learning even small techniques can be effectively used in your creations.

Excellent! That's what I was hoping for - can't wait to hear the results!

• I think the video is great and very helpful.
    I also think you are too modest about your multi-instrumentalist superpower.
    B)

• @CracklePot said:
    I think the video is great and very helpful.
    I also think you are too modest about your multi-instrumentalist superpower.
    B)

You're very kind.

Besides - I can't reveal ALL my secrets.... ;)

• edited May 2019

@Daveypoo said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Thanks mate

Glad you enjoyed it! I still regret that we weren't able to connect last year when I was in your town.... next time!

Yeah, you can share it - that's fantastic. Here's my IG: https://www.instagram.com/mobilemusicminstrel/

Fixed!

It was a shame for me too but my last year is going... well wicked :rage:
    I need holidays from my family... :trollface:

• edited May 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Daveypoo said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Thanks mate

Fixed!

It was a shame for me too but my last year is going... well wicked :rage:
    I need holidays from my family... :trollface:

Sweet - thanks, man!

Trust me - I completely understand family issues. I live 3,000 miles from mine and it isn't far enough most days....

• This will be an irrelevant question but how do you edit your videos? Are you using your ipad or desktop?

• @mozadak said:
    This will be an irrelevant question but how do you edit your videos? Are you using your ipad or desktop?

Not irrelevant - I use Lumafusion on the iPad for all my video stuff.

As a rule, I don't do ANYTHING on a desktop. I have a laptop, but it's mostly a home-media server. All my music and videos are 100% iPad.

• I have Pinnacle Studio Pro and it offers a lot for mobile. It was “Avid” (which is a company also owns Pro Tools) but I think they wanted to exit mobile app market and sold all rights. I will try Lumafusion. As a video-professional, I’m always open for offers on ios market :smile: