Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you use AUM

Hi there. I use AUM a lot and usually just have midi sequencers like fugue machine or rozeta running synths. I get a nice sequence going, add some drums and have a nice jam muting and using volume faders to bring sound in and out.

This is great but don’t know how best to use this to finish a track. I use Ableton as main daw.

I wondered how people use AUM. Can you complete tunes in it or do you send audio to Cubasis or Ableton to finish projects?

I have some great long loops in AUM using several synths/drum machines but not sure how to make this in to full track.

Thanks

Comments

• I get jams going - and when in it's in a good place I'll record the bass, drums, synths as seperate loops or sections and then import those audio loops (which AUM records as perfect synced loops) into a DAW and add on some bits to finish. Sometimes I'll import the loops into Gadget and finish there.

I've tried recording a performance in AUM itself in one go - but that usually doesn't work for me.

• @Halftone said:
    I get jams going - and when in it's in a good place I'll record the bass, drums, synths as seperate loops or sections and then import those audio loops (which AUM records as perfect synced loops) into a DAW and add on some bits to finish. Sometimes I'll import the loops into Gadget and finish there.

I've tried recording a performance in AUM itself in one go - but that usually doesn't work for me.

Same. I arrange the loops in BM3 and add samples, etc.

• Record clips and jams in AUM, then drop on stagelight to mix and more effects!
    AUM is jam makers paradise... Always fun

• edited April 2019

It sure is great for jamming.

Was doing a live techno jam today in my works van, connected via Bluetooth to van sound system. Music banging out. Got some strange looks from passers by. 🙂

• For me, I see no reason to "finish a track". When I play it's for the joy of making sound.

Now, it I want an artifact from AUM I bus all the audio to a sub-bus and open a lane being fed by the sub-bus. I hit record on that lane and use the "start" button. After done play hit "stop" and a file is recorded. I go to the file and move it to AudioShare to normalize, trim of edit down to a portion. I could sample loops and use that as a starting point for another play session or in Enso.

Once edited I have the option of uploading to soundcloud and listening to it later to see if I did anything compelling. I can also share a link to a thread for some feedback or to demonstrate the sound of an App.

SoundCloud offers 1 hour of playtime so I must deleted tracks and make the links stale but they roll off the front page ya-da, ya-da. Sorry but it happens.

• @Zippy88 said:
    Hi there. I use AUM a lot and usually just have midi sequencers like fugue machine or rozeta running synths. I get a nice sequence going, add some drums and have a nice jam muting and using volume faders to bring sound in and out.

This is great but don’t know how best to use this to finish a track. I use Ableton as main daw.

I wondered how people use AUM. Can you complete tunes in it or do you send audio to Cubasis or Ableton to finish projects?

I have some great long loops in AUM using several synths/drum machines but not sure how to make this in to full track.

Thanks

I often work up initial ideas in AUM and capture the audio there and record the MIDI into Photon. And if I decide to take it to a DAW, I can import the audio into a DAW from AudioShare and the MIDI from Photon.

• ^this. Though I add Audiobus, and do most of my work there, feeding into AUM.

• All of the above, though AUM and ApeMatrix are getting closer to doing everything all in one without the need for a DAW. Not there quite yet, but I suspect that it will happen.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@ALB said:
    All of the above, though AUM and ApeMatrix are getting closer to doing everything all in one without the need for a DAW. Not there quite yet, but I suspect that it will happen.

One could argue that then ... they will be DAWs. B) o:)

• edited April 2019

I use it as a midi router. Makes it easier to route things, including splitting, to and from hardware than Modstep alone, which is my main midi DAW. Also hosts Streambyter which fixes a little freaky problem the Moog Sirin has with the pitch wheel. Last, hosts Audiolayer which just works better there than in Modstep when changing songs, no cpu spike.

I just record in Modstep though. And the Audiolayer, those samples are duplicate on the desktop (w more velocity layers) so I just export the midi.

• Why would you use Audiobus first?

@wim said:
    ^this. Though I add Audiobus, and do most of my work there, feeding into AUM.

• I think an excellent feature would be the ability to start a channel on the downbeat of the next bar ala Ableton.
    If either Audiobus AUM or apeMatrix did this it would be much easier to complete a song in it.

@ALB said:
    All of the above, though AUM and ApeMatrix are getting closer to doing everything all in one without the need for a DAW. Not there quite yet, but I suspect that it will happen.

• @Antkn33 said:
    Why would you use Audiobus first?

@wim said:

Love the easier app switching using the AB sidebar. Start / Stop for apps from the sidebar. Audiobus remote. Bypass apps from the top bar. Mute midi and audio from the mixer page. Great Midi / Link sync options (in the upcoming release). State saving for IAA apps that support it. App switching to IAA apps that support it via midi learn (AUM now has app switching, but for AU only) or with Audiobus Remote. And that certain je ne sais quoi I can’t put my finger on.

No complaints against AUM, I’m just totally at home in Audiobus, and it makes me happy. B)

There are things it doesn’t do that AUM does (or does better), so I use AUM along with AB for those.

• Thanks

@wim said:

@Antkn33 said:
    Why would you use Audiobus first?

@wim said:

Love the easier app switching using the AB sidebar. Start / Stop for apps from the sidebar. Audiobus remote. Bypass apps from the top bar. Mute midi and audio from the mixer page. Great Midi / Link sync options (in the upcoming release). State saving for IAA apps that support it. App switching to IAA apps that support it via midi learn (AUM now has app switching, but for AU only) or with Audiobus Remote. And that certain je ne sais quoi I can’t put my finger on.

No complaints against AUM, I’m just totally at home in Audiobus, and it makes me happy. B)

There are things it doesn’t do that AUM does (or does better), so I use AUM along with AB for those.

• Another vote for AB into AUM. Best of both!

• AUM is the flexible audio mixer, recorder, and connection hub for your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
    Connect hardware inputs and outputs, Audio Unit extensions, Inter-App Audio apps, Audiobus, soundfile players, built-in signal processing and filters, in any configuration you want.
    Route anything to anywhere with mix-busses, effect sends, audiobus ports, and external multi-channel audio interfaces.
    Play hosted synths and instruments using the built-in keyboard or external MIDI controllers, or sequence them with AU MIDI plugins or from other apps using Virtual MIDI.
    Record mixes, individual tracks, or both, straight into the storage space of AudioShare (no copying of files needed), with synchronized start and end for perfect loops.
    Play back recordings, soundfiles and loops as channel sources in the mixer for backing tracks, further processing or mixing.
    Route MIDI in any way you like using the MIDI matrix.
    Synchronize everything with the transport clock and play in time with other apps or devices using Ableton Link, a new technology that synchronizes beat, phase and tempo of Ableton Live and Link-enabled iOS apps over a wireless network. Connect external music machines and synchronize them with MIDI Clock.
    Includes built-in processing nodes for various stereo processing, Mid/Side balance and conversion, EQs and filters, limiting, clipping and saturation. Or use any 3rd party Audio Unit extension or Inter-App Audio effect.
    All controls in the mixer can be controlled via MIDI, including parameters of hosted and built-in plugins.

• edited April 2019

Currently i use it for recording and this:

What i love about AUM is that its so flexible that it can add great value to your setup pretty much what ever you are doing

• @ToMess said:

What i love about AUM is that its so flexible that it can add great value to your setup pretty much what ever you are doing

Yes. I am not going to take the few minutes it would take me to understand this.

But I know the components mostly and just makes me happy there is a working setup with that power on that little table. As someone 40+ I remember what kind of crazy pile of stuff was needed for this in the past.

• Some good workflows here, fellas, so thanks for that. I really need to complete a track by exporting the audio files into cubasis for further refinement and sequencing. Cheers!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Another vote for AB into AUM. Best of both!

And another. They work so well together.

• +1 for ab / AUM combo

• @ToMess said:

I know this is a "how do you integrate AUM?" thread but I'm really curious about how you integrate your CS6R.

• @Antkn33 said:
    I think an excellent feature would be the ability to start a channel on the downbeat of the next bar ala Ableton.
    If either Audiobus AUM or apeMatrix did this it would be much easier to complete a song in it.

@ALB said:

Atom does this in AUM

• I use it to audition loops/parts in combination with other loops/parts.
    Loading up several AUs driven by the same MIDI
    Occassionally, I will complete a project in it.
    Most importantly, just to have a helluva lotta fun.

• Nice! Thanks

@Turntablist said:

@Antkn33 said:
    I think an excellent feature would be the ability to start a channel on the downbeat of the next bar ala Ableton.

@ALB said:

Atom does this in AUM

• @syrupcore said:

@ToMess said:

I know this is a "how do you integrate AUM?" thread but I'm really curious about how you integrate your CS6R.

Audio from it goes to EQ and then to mpc and from there to aum. Midi goes directly from mpc to cs6r(and also back to mpc to record automation, which i forgot to draw to pic) and also using its midi thru to pass clock and midi from mpc to BSP. Ideally i would have more inputs on interface and audio would go directly to aum and not mixed with sounds from mpc.

• Make sweet jams, record the audio and arrange in stagelight with other instruments ... That's my new method!
    I love AUM more than anything but complete songs in AUM tend to have little change from start To finish so I gotta take the audio elsewhere to keep it from getting boring...

• work up the basics & record individual stems into Audioshare via AUM, export to Cubasis for further additions, editing, mixing, etc.

• Lately been hosting Gadget in AUM, building up a jam for various instruments in Gadget (or AUs in AUM) and then "committing" the stuff into the sequencer in Gadget when I like what I have going. For the stuff that's not native to Gadget I've been using the loop recording feature and then import from AudioShare to Zurich or whatever/wherever. It's been working out pretty well!

• @ToMess said:
    Audio from it goes to EQ and then to mpc and from there to aum. Midi goes directly from mpc to cs6r(and also back to mpc to record automation, which i forgot to draw to pic) and also using its midi thru to pass clock and midi from mpc to BSP. Ideally i would have more inputs on interface and audio would go directly to aum and not mixed with sounds from mpc.

Cool, thank you. Do you actively use it as a sampler or mostly as a preset sound source?