Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How does StepBud stack up against Atom?

Seems like I could do in Atom what I can also do in ScaleBud?

Comments

• edited April 2019

lf course, right when I ask, he posts a couple videos :) Very nice! Would still be interested in feedback for those who have used both. I'm trying to ebb my app accumulation!

• Its quite difficult to resist all the apps coming out lately. I only have atom but as far as I understand it, Scalebud is less of a traditional piano roll and allows for more real time manipulation of the midi sequence.

• Scalebud is more like a keyboard replacement and Atom is a piano roll.

Tbh I bought Atom caught up in the wave of enthusiasm but I doubt I will ever use it. Scalebud is handy for the built in music theory of which notes and chords are built into which scale.

• Thank you all!

• Ah, apologies @gkillmaster I got ScaleBud and StepBud mixed up! I was talking about StepBud, which I have now bought as well :neutral:

• @Jocphone said:
    Ah, apologies @gkillmaster I got ScaleBud and StepBud mixed up! I was talking about StepBud, which I have now bought as well :neutral:

O! haha! np. I did just buy Scalebud. Damn, now I have to compare it with Stepbud. Easy to mix up. They seems very similar.

• Tough question to answer because both apps can do a variety of things. Maybe this will help.

Would you prefer to enter notes on a grid either via touch or via keyboard? Then also have ability to edit the notes after the fact (move, delete, change length? If yes, then you’d probably prefer Atom

Would you prefer to enter notes by moving sliders with notes being locked into grid values? Then StepBud might suit you.

HTH

• @ecamburn said:
    Tough question to answer because both apps can do a variety of things. Maybe this will help.

Would you prefer to enter notes on a grid either via touch or via keyboard? Then also have ability to edit the notes after the fact (move, delete, change length? If yes, then you’d probably prefer Atom

Would you prefer to enter notes by moving sliders with notes being locked into grid values? Then StepBud might suit you.

HTH

Good description. For itinerant and incorrigible fiddlers they both have a fun part to play :)

• Stepbud allows you very quickly to evolve interesting riffs or motifs that you wouldn’t come up with independently. It’s not great if you’re trying to get an existing idea down quickly or want to play something from the keyboard.

Stepbud is kind of an sh101 type deal

• @Jocphone StepBud is a simple step sequencer, whereas Atom is a multi-featured piano roll.

The UI and UX of Atom are far more sophisticated and Atom has benefited from a huge amount of community feedback. The two don't really compare.

The developer of Atom, Victor Porof, has shown himself to be amongst the best in the iOS community as he's constantly interacting and taking feedback so as to fine-tune his products over time. As I understand things Atom itself will be enhanced with a suite of other modular utilities.

• @jonmoore said:
    @Jocphone StepBud is a simple step sequencer, whereas Atom is a multi-featured piano roll.

I’m fully aware of that now. But the OP was asking ScaleBud.

• @Jocphone said:

@jonmoore said:
    @Jocphone StepBud is a simple step sequencer, whereas Atom is a multi-featured piano roll.

I’m fully aware of that now. But the OP was asking ScaleBud.

Weird, I obviously ignored the title and read the comments relating to StepBud and answered that! Too much of the single malt last night me thinks!

• Different apps to be honest, more control with Atom to set up. StepBud is good for one the fly changes.

• I have stepbud and atom but not scale bud... But step and atom are both rad, I got em both to tinker around with and they both put ya in a different creative mind frame... Now I gotta look into scalebud haha

• Whoops thought it said StepBud not ScaleBud, different different apps then

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Whoops thought it said StepBud not ScaleBud, different different apps then

For the love of god, I misread the thread title too. Sorry OP

Have no clue about scalebud

• For ScaleBud think a basic version of KB-1

• I think Atom is a Piano roll, and Step Bud is a step sequencer.

Kinda like Xequence is a Piano roll app, and Quantum is a step sequencer app.

• edited April 2019

@ecamburn said:

@Jumpercollins said:

I mistyped and meant to ask about StepBud and ended up accidentally buying ScaleBud, arg.... :)

• @gkillmaster said:

@ecamburn said:

@Jumpercollins said:

I mistyped and meant to ask about StepBud and ended up accidentally buying ScaleBud, arg.... :)

ScaleBud is very cool.
    I like to generate and Autony sequence and pass the midi through ScaleBud. But Autony has scale features I hear you say. Well my friend try (in your chosen key) pressing the scales related to the key. Notes can and will be filtered. Different than the probability setting in Autony itself and its quicker than futzing with the scales/keys in it as well.

• @gkillmaster said:

Btw, you might want to change the title of this top> @gkillmaster said:

@ecamburn said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Might want to edit the topic title:)

• @espiegel123 said:

@gkillmaster said:

Btw, you might want to change the title of this top> @gkillmaster said:

@ecamburn said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Might want to edit the topic title:)

Right! Yes, thanks!

• Apologies for hijacking the thread gkillmaster but while on the topic: can anyone weigh in on StepPolyArp Unit vs Atom vs StepBud for driving a sampler (say Chameleon or AudioLayer) within AUM?

Primarily I'd be setting up the sampler with drum / percussion samples and just a bit of melodic stuff and am seeking a step-sequencer feel.

• @Proppa said:
    Apologies for hijacking the thread gkillmaster but while on the topic: can anyone weigh in on StepPolyArp Unit vs Atom vs StepBud for driving a sampler (say Chameleon or AudioLayer) within AUM?

Primarily I'd be setting up the sampler with drum / percussion samples and just a bit of melodic stuff and am seeking a step-sequencer feel.

Would love to hear considered comments on this. Like Atom and Bud plenty, but they led me back to SPA which I revere (but take for granted mostly)....

• edited April 2019

@Proppa said:
    Apologies for hijacking the thread gkillmaster but while on the topic: can anyone weigh in on StepPolyArp Unit vs Atom vs StepBud for driving a sampler (say Chameleon or AudioLayer) within AUM?

StepBud
    A user specified number of steps each with duration, gate, velocity, portamento, repeat, pitch bend per step
    Special powers

• does chords and notes
    • the master fader control in shift mode can move all steps up and down in their relative positions

Atom
    Piano roll editor. Velocity control. Easy editing. Looping. Recording.
    Special powers

• easier than most DAW editors
    • Copy steps, flip steps horizontal and vertical, scale control
    • Multiple instances can be overlaid in each editor letting you see notes in relation to each other

StepPolyArp
    Untraditional arpeggiator/step sequencer. Plonk notes down on the keyboard and have them played in many different ways. Random note generator, but can be note sequenced regularly. Notes can have various lengths with regular tempo divisions
    Special powers

• Each pattern can be chained after repeating a user specified number of times
    • each pattern has lanes that can be shortened
    • Scaling options, modulation, polyphonic

Take a look at Quantum midi sequencer :)
    It has ALL the bells and whistles

• @audiblevideo THANK YOU for a Stellar rounding up. Only problem with your eloquent reply: now I want em all.

@JohnnyGoodyear for what it's worth SPA Unit seems to be the most what I'm after (on paper) but being a piano roll editor Atom represents sampler Zones the most literally .. and StepBud just seems like a dang pistol of goodness. Repeat: want em all. Sigh.

• @audiblevideo good summary!
    I still can't figure out how to modulate the master fader in sb but that feature seems pretty rad!

I have all these apps and for me atom and spa are my favs, granted I've only had sb a day I haven't really been able to give it a full test..
    Atom was an instant buy for me as it lets you play / stop from the main AUM window... Create sequences with ease... And isn't done being developed, seems like we have a lot more goodness in store...
    And spa, well.. It's a must have and a classic.... It's great fun, simple to edit, create pattern chains and it works, it never fails!
    All of these are universal so that is bonus..
    Also rozeta and fugue machine are must haves

• StepBud + ReSlice is hecka fun.

• @espiegel123 said:
    StepBud + ReSlice is hecka fun.

Yes had a go of that works great. Tried sending it to impaktor but found out Impaktor totally broke as IAA at present.🥵

• @espiegel123 said:
    StepBud + ReSlice is hecka fun.

Sorry to be obvious, but is this in AUM?