Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MidiFire/StreamByter - some myths debunked

124»

Comments

• Cool, @Wim! Thanks for the quick history lesson! Nic does seem like a good, passionate developer.

MIDI mastery has been something just out of my reach since getting my first keyboard and MIDI software for my Mac back in the late 80's. Always wanted to use it to create a backing band for my guitar playing but typically ended-up simply getting frustrated.

There seems to be tons of MIDI tools now that have made it easier for me, but I was reading the other day about plans to release MIDI 2.0. Haven't read much about it here on the forum, but I understand it will build upon existing MIDI norms and simply add more function. A great time to be alive!

• @SNystrom as a fellow guitar player, I can say that I've found Zenbeats to be the most accessible environment for guitar jamming and practice, while also making it easy to capture ideas on the fly.

You can get a drum beat going in just a few seconds and just jam over that. You can add other parts easily. You can hit record and grab a long noodle, then limit the clip to just the part worth keeping.

I love AUM, etc, but piecing together what is needed to get a jam down is like wiring tinker toys together. Zenbeats is limited in some ways, but has all that I need for most of my jamming needs.

• Hmmmm, I’ll have to give it a go!

I had just been loading midi songs into GarageBand and muting the guitars, but then Lumbeats starting having all those sales, so I purchased iBassist and a couple of their drum machines.

I’ve had some issues with iBassist synching with the drums in AUM, but when it works, it’s great! — especially the ability to add organs and horns via Bassist’s excellent MIDI options.

I’ve also used the Session Band apps with some success...

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@SNystrom said:
    Hmmmm, I’ll have to give it a go!

I had just been loading midi songs into GarageBand and muting the guitars, but then Lumbeats starting having all those sales, so I purchased iBassist and a couple of their drum machines.

I’ve had some issues with iBassist synching with the drums in AUM, but when it works, it’s great! — especially the ability to add organs and horns via Bassist’s excellent MIDI options.

I’ve also used the Session Band apps with some success...

The Lumbeats apps won't be of much use with Zenbeats as it only supports AUv3 apps, and doesn't have the ability to be loaded into Audiobus or AUM to work alongside other apps.

With some fiddling, you could get them to output MIDI to Zenbeats though, I suppose.

• So are you just creating a drum and baseline in Zen or are there presents in it?

I’ve only glanced at it a couple times...

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@SNystrom said:
    So are you just creating a drum and baseline in Zen or are there presents in it?

I’ve only glanced at it a couple times...

I generally create them myself, but there are many preset patterns available. Not that many suited to my style when playing guitar though. I can slap something basic together faster than hunting though presets usually. The drum pattern editor makes that pretty quick.

• Nice!

Sound like a project for this weekend!

• Any of these apps do midi note or midi cc to keystroke? i’d love to used my midi controller to control the ios apps that uses keyboard shortcuts...Cubasis 3, Auria Pro, LumaFusion, ect.

• Nope. Sorry.

• There is probably a better place to put this question. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

When I connect two different Casio keyboards they appear as CASIO USB-1 and CASIO USB-2. However, no matter which keyboard I play events fire for CASIO USB-1 and never for CASIO USB-2. That is playing either keyboard fires events CASIO USB-1, but neither keyboard fires events for CASIO USB-2. Both keyboards are connected to a hub which in turn is connected to my iPad.

That has to be a bug doesn't it? Is there a work around?

• @champ_i said:
    There is probably a better place to put this question. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

When I connect two different Casio keyboards they appear as CASIO USB-1 and CASIO USB-2. However, no matter which keyboard I play events fire for CASIO USB-1 and never for CASIO USB-2. That is playing either keyboard fires events CASIO USB-1, but neither keyboard fires events for CASIO USB-2. Both keyboards are connected to a hub which in turn is connected to my iPad.

Does this happen in all apps? Audiobus, AUM, MidiFire?

Do you only see one port when only one keyboard is connected? I ask because my Nektar LX-61+ presents itself as two ports. This is related to its integration with computer DAWs.

Can you configure the keyboards on different MIDI channels, and filter the events that way? That would be the conventional MIDI solution.

• A lot of people won't use Mozaic because it's too complex to copy a script into the editor and upload.

Streambyter is free would people paste a streambyter script into a box and use it? Would it have fewer steps? I know the code is almost impenetrable to read let alone write since it uses Hex values. Maybe @audeonic added Decimal features to improve legibility and clarity.

• edited February 2022

@McD said:
    A lot of people won't use Mozaic because it's too complex to copy a script into the editor and upload.

Streambyter is free would people paste a streambyter script into a box and use it? Would it have fewer steps? I know the code is almost impenetrable to read let alone write since it uses Hex values. Maybe @audeonic added Decimal features to improve legibility and clarity.

Aliases help with making cryptic code readable. (This feature came later so many may have missed it)
    Decimal numbers can be given as $number.

https://audeonic.boards.net/thread/656/working-messages

• @champ_i said:
    There is probably a better place to put this question. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

Which app are using when you see both keyboards firing as if they are coming from the same port?

• I see only one port when only one keyboard is connected

• @champ_i said:
    Midifire

Can you post a screenshot of the MidiFire setup that you are using to test? Have you confirmed that if you have a setup that is only usb 2 to a midimonitor that the monitor doesn't receive the notes?

Do you have AUM or Audiobus?

• What I have described is in neither AUM nor Audiobus. I was only talking about Midifire

• @champ_i said:
    What I have described is in neither AUM nor Audiobus. I was only talking about Midifire

i understand. i am asking if you have them...they could be used to see if this is a midifire issue or os issue.

did you see the other questions?