Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any pre amp plugins similar to Klevgrand ReAmp?

Been trying ReAmp but I find it a bit boxy/brittle not to be harsh in anyway
My plan is to use it on Master/Aux channels. ReAmp is ok on drum busses for me but suffers when being pushed when inserted on the Master Channel.
Thanks in advance for any tips

Comments

• @stormbeats said:
    Been trying ReAmp but I find it a bit boxy/brittle not to be harsh in anyway
    My plan is to use it on Master/Aux channels. ReAmp is ok on drum busses for me but suffers when being pushed when inserted on the Master Channel.
    Thanks in advance for any tips

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you sure that a preamp sim is what you are looking for?

• Not exactly sure how you'd like to change the sound but here are 3 I've been using lately to
    perform the transformations an Amplifier might provide.

"HarmonicExciter" might be worth a look. @thesoundtestroom's demo video shows what it can do for a guitar and it seemed like someone tweaking the knobs on a great guitar amp to improve the tone of the guitar in the mix

NYCCompressor is amazing for raising/lowering and limiting volumes without much impact on the color of the input. It can make something really loud without sounding saturated.
    All the DDMF apps are so good but so subtle I'm never sure how to use them but getting them all in the bundle means you pay $3.60 for each of the 5 Apps ($18) or just get NYCompressor for $9 and if you love it get the other 4 for $2.25 each. If you buy 2 at $9 do you get the other 3 for free? I recommend the bundle and learn how real studio equipment is traditionally used in a channel strip. NOTE: They are not flashy FX but exceptionally engineered audio processors with skeuomorph interfaces. They are all Universal if that helps swing the pendulum.

Limiter - Audio Processor can make something sound really loud and as saturated as you wish. It's always changes the color/tone but maybe you'll want the new color.

There's an "IR Reverb" coming that's AUv3 (in TestFlight Beta) and it adds "room" to the input. I'm curious to see what real guitar players think of it relative to iConvolver.

• edited April 2019

@McD cheers Yes indeed Amazing Noises limiter is literally what I just experimented with It’s doing a good job.
    I have all the ddmf stuff on iOS and OSX was using for many years. Played a mix recently to a friend who thought my mix was going through a NEVE desk but couldn’t remember what I used on the Master Channel . Amazing noises it is...that combined with Master Record sorted. Sounds like a Studer. Happy days.

• @McD Master Record although IAA is to my sound engineering ears the best on iOS.Cheers for the heads up about the upcoming IR reverb. I use Altispace . Iam going to email Igor the dev for Master Record & Alitspace about a pre Amp plugin. He is spot on with analogue emulation.

• @stormbeats said:
    @McD cheers Yes indeed Amazing Noises limiter is literally what I just experimented with It’s doing a good job.
    I have all the ddmf stuff on iOS and OSX was using for many years. Played a mix recently to a friend who thought my mix was going through a NEVE desk but couldn’t remember what I used on the Master Channel . Amazing noises it is...that combined with Master Record sorted. Sounds like a Studer. Happy days.

As I'm sure you've read: Stark (from Kleverb) is an Amp Sim that got hammered by Guitar Players as not being as powerful or as real as Bias, ToneStack, Amplitube, etc. Have you tried any of those? I suspect that for master mix they are more of a problem than a solution. Guitar Amps are sent into Cabinets loaded with 10-12" speakers that cover 75-5Khz.

What are your thoughts on the 15 Stark Models with the Cabinet Model bypassed and the Room IR set to "normal" and no FX. Just curious to know how the more experienced rate these products.

• @McD only thing I think sounds good in Stark is the pedals/stompboxes. The Amp gain is ok but when I engage “pass through” which is the Cab bypass there is no bypass for the Amp models so using it on a Master Channel alters the mix way too much. I actually like the Boost/Gain in the Amp sim but there is no option to use Amp section without simulating a Guitar Amp . I emailed Klevgrand about this and they are looking into it.

• edited April 2019

@McD also the most weirdest thing about Stark . If you have Stereo sounds going into it it totally messes it up and your sound becomes mono. So guess what you have to put on the Cab which has Stereo widener and your original stereo processing is void and becomes some weird cardboard sounding mush. It wrecks any stereo reverb/delay you may have had previously in your mix.

• @mcd: the guitar amp sims would not really be useful for mastering. They are designed to do a reasonable job of simulating guitar amps, speaker cabs and stomp boxes...none of which would be very useful for mastering.

With respect to iConvolver, the free Fiddlicator is just as good if you have a non-reverb IR to use... but I don't have the sense that is what OP is after.

• @stormbeats said:
    @McD only thing I think sounds good in Stark is the pedals/stompboxes. The Amp gain is ok but when I engage “pass through” which is the Cab bypass there is no bypass for the Amp models so using it on a Master Channel alters the mix way too much. I actually like the Boost/Gain in the Amp sim but there is no option to use Amp section without simulating a Guitar Amp . I emailed Klevgrand about this and they are looking into it.

I suspect turning things "off" will easy to add and they might sell us more pedals/stompboxes since ToneStack and IK Multimedia use that for "financial" FX. Ka-ching!

• @espiegel123 said:
    @mcd: the guitar amp sims would not really be useful for mastering. They are designed to do a reasonable job of simulating guitar amps, speaker cabs and stomp boxes...none of which would be very useful for mastering.

With respect to iConvolver, the free Fiddlicator is just as good if you have a non-reverb IR to use... but I don't have the sense that is what OP is after.

I have no problem hi-jacking a thread to stimulate conversation around similar topics :)
    So, I'm not focused strictly on the Master Bus issue but just good outboard FX products.

Re: IR's, I'm looking exclusively for AUv3 tools even if free. But I did stop myself from buying ShimmerFX when I considered Crystaline (IAA) covers that ambient colossal cave with sonic bats pretty well and do I need more than 1 instance of that when I can create wet/dry mixes in AUM? I think we lost Holderness but wouldn't it be great to be wrong about that? Maybe someone knows if there's an work to AUv3 those Apps. Those X-Y Pads for UI's with automation record/playback are so good.

Regarding IR's on guitars I think I actually like DI (Direct In) sounds and have no experience with classic Amps. My guitar hero's are like Bill Frisell with pristine clean sounds. So, I probably don't even need an IR Cabinet emulator. I'm using the beta IR AUv3 that's almost out and finding I only like 1 cabinet and probably for the worst reason. It's got an extreme low end boost 'cause it's a Bass Cabinet. The others just don't jump out at me.

• @McD : Sincd you mention Bill Frissel, you might be interested to know that while Frisell has a clean sound, if is not a DI type sound. He mostly plays through classic Fender tube amps both live and in the studio unless something has changed recently.

• @McD said:

There's an "IR Reverb" coming that's AUv3 (in TestFlight Beta) and it adds "room" to the input. I'm curious to see what real guitar players think of it relative to iConvolver.

This can't come out soon enough! I really would love an AUv3 IR loader to load some spring and/or lofi reverbs into. Even loading some wave files that aren't necessarily reverb impulse responses can be useful for unusual sound design. Any more details on this, McD? Coming out soon, you said?

• Verb IR loader? I found some Big Sky IRs online will this app be able to use the IT from the cloud setting of the big sky? Uhhh that would be like incredible 😳

• @aquasloth said:

@McD said:

This can't come out soon enough! I really would love an AUv3 IR loader to load some spring and/or lofi reverbs into. Even loading some wave files that aren't necessarily reverb impulse responses can be useful for unusual sound design. Any more details on this, McD? Coming out soon, you said?

Checkout Sparkle from ApeSoft. It allows you to do this with arbitrary sound sources. You can get some great stuff from it.

• @espiegel123 said:

There's an "IR Reverb" coming that's AUv3 (in TestFlight Beta) and it adds "room" to the input.

It's better to anticipate an IR for Guitar Cabinets simulations.

• @cian said:
    Checkout Sparkle from ApeSoft. It allows you to do this with arbitrary sound sources.

I need to check that out!