Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you use a stylus?

Does anyone here use a stylus with any of your music apps? If so, which stylus do you prefer and what apps and/or tasks do you find it most helpful with?

Comments

• edited January 2014

I'm also looking at getting a stylus after watching Doug (thesoundtestroom) use one in his videos lately. Looks handy. :)

If I can add another Q...Have anyone bought some random really cheap ones and been able to compare those to some more costly ones? I'm not a sketch artist, just wanna turn some knobs, click some buttons, drag some sliders and so on...Any difference in responsiveness etc?

• I love using a stylus with Virtual ANS. It's a cheapo and works fine

• edited January 2014

I use a stylus (often but not always). I have a Wacom Bamboo, which I favour, but I also use a cheap (£5), generic stylus from my local supermarket and I'm happy with that too. My first stylus was from a "Everything £1" store - and that was for a pack of two!

For general pointing, tapping and typing, the cheapos are fine. However, their rubber tips tend to 'drag' slightly so I prefer the Wacom for drawing, swiping, etc., because its tip seems to be 'smoother'. The Wacom also has a smaller tip and allows greater accuracy. It was the need for greater accuracy than my fat fingers allow that made me try a stylus in thee first place. A stylus also reduces the frequency with which I have to clean the screen!

The Wacom is nice but I'd be content with my supermarket one for most purposes - which has the advantage that I won't be too bothered if (when?) I lose it! ;)

• I have a $5 supermarket one as well and really like it actually. I use it with Auria and other apps, but never to actually play any instrument. I also have been animating with it. In all cases, I do think I'd like to get something with a finer tip as its size has been problematic on occasion. Not often, but sometimes it'll also not respond when I touch it to the screen.

Just as @Washboy said I'd be salty when I eventually lose it, but I don't think I'd regret getting a decent one.

• I stopped using my generics after I got my odonit Jot Pro. It has a transparent tracking disc on its micro-tip so you can see exactly the center of touch through it. Absolutely needed for grabbing hold of line editor control handles. In Audio terms, this would be the drag bits on an ADSR or say Remaster's EQ curve.

Other than that most of our Apps are finger-tip friendly so I only get out the Jot when I'm having trouble grabbing things.

• Thanks. Sounds like any stylus will work without problems at least when it comes to the iPad registering input. I'll just order the cheapest one I can find, just to try it all out and see if it's anything I'm actually gonna be using.

• I tried a bunch of them, and they either barely worked at all, or the rest all worked more or less the same (ie, fine). I have trouble using those soft round tip ones though, my brain has trouble realizing that the tip will really hit a few mm below where a pencil or pen would, and i'm always missing the right control :)

For me it was just easier to use my finger.

• I got a cheap one from a dollar store. It's fun to draw with, but I can't see any use for it in music apps.

• I'm kinda with @Tarekith on the whole stylus thing. I tried them but do as well or better with my finger.

• Using several cheap styli simultaneously can allow you to maintain more consistent angle and distance relationships versus your fingers. On some apps using a stylus can be useful to have for smoother movement across the screen (e.g. Geo Synth).

I would really like to see some music apps that can use the pressure sensitivity and buttons of the smart styli.

• Wow, you need to put a video of you using several stylii at once. You will be the ipad equivilant of Jon Bohnam on "Four Sticks" :)

• edited January 2014
  • I have one that I use mainly with drawing apps, but I think some other uses are when producing videos (Doug uses them from time to time), and with a finer tip, they could be useful with the SugarBytes apps or others that pack a lot of small controls on the screen.

• I don't remember the brand of my stylus. I only use it with Cubasis where it can be more accurate than my finger.

• Yeah, the one I use is a cheapo that came in a pack of five from Amazon cost about £5, it does the job OK but I may get a Bamboo, it seems its better. The main reason I started using one is because the tripod is in the way, so I'm sitting to the left or right of the iPad which isn't the best place to be ( try it ) and it works great as a pointer. I should make a video of how I make the videos, you'd be amazed at the amount of work that goes into one.

• You ever consider a GoPro helmet cam Doug?

• No, but I imagine it would move with my head, what I really need to do is sort some sort of boom out, It's not a massive problem

• And dont forget I wear glasses and then a head mic and then the huge AKG 702 cans

• I hadn't thought about the issue of having to be to the left or right of the camera for your videos, but yeah, can instantly see how that would be tedious.

With that said, it makes me appreciate your videos even more (your videos have caused me to make multiple purchases prior, haha)!

Much respect Mr. Guitarini!

• I use the Wacom Bamboo as well. I inititially picked it up for for drawing/design but have found it really useful for music apps, especially ones with compact, detailed interfaces like Thesys,Turnado, etc.

• Wacom Bamboo is the stylus I use ,the rubber tips are replaceable soft or firm if you prefer ,very accurate ,great for mixes ,you can roll the tip to create nice swells etc.I started using it for art and the Wacom tablets are the leaders IMO so it was a natural for me to use it on the pad

• I bought a pack of two for £0.99. One pen sized, one mini telescoping, Both work just fine. Never use either of them. Lol

• No I do my own hair and makeup

Seriously I have a $10 one from OfficeMax that's ok. It has the soft tip but I'm going to look for one that has a smaller, firmer tip as this one isn't as precise as I'd like it to be

• +1 for Bamboo Stylus. I have cheaper ones that work ok, but the weight distribution of the Bamboo makes it my favorite by far.

• Mine don't weigh much, so it's hard to tell...

• @PaulB that's exactly what i mean. The cheaper ones I have are incredibly light and the bamboo has a little weight to it. I like that. Feels like I have a little more control.

• Thanks for all the input. I just ordered a couple of the Bamboos from Amazon. They'll come in handy for some other graphics tasks as well as those delicate details in Auria, Cubasis, etc.

• I have been using Stylus with my iPad, it was really a good experience for me.. If any one looking some video editing info then have a look to this I have been visiting to a site and found the profile of this professional. Lets track him now.. :)

• I use a Bamboo, too for my vector art and drawing. I have a generic one as well for general note taking but I've never tried them with any music apps...

• Thanks for all the input! I went with the Wacom Bamboo and it works much better than any other stylus I've tried.