Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepBud AUv3 MIDI Sequencer - Available

Comments

• @Jumpercollins said:

@cem_olcay said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@ALB said:
    This is quite wonderful. With the timing, gating and repeat functions, as well as the arp settings, you can get into some really interesting and useful melodic/rhythmic territory. One thing - some of the controls are sort of hiding on the far right, so it’s not always easy to get to all of the functions.

@ALB The controls are not hiding you need to swipe left on them to reveal the master fader and ARP.

Yeah, I’m even flashing the scroll bars a few times for making it clear that mode and settings area are scrollable horizontally, if you are out of space.

@Jumpercollins what’s a tie option? 😄

Hi @cem_olcay A tie / slur option would stretch out the gate length of a individual step to the next step. If the next step pitch is the same as the step with slur applied it becomes a tie.

Can't you do this already by setting the gate length to 1?

And I don't really get the need for ties. If you want a note to be longer, make it's length longer. Am I missing something?

• Okay, I've thought of another enhancement. It would also be really useful to be able to delete an individual step, rather than just remove the last step. And undo/redo are also really useful things in sequencers...

• @cian, thanks for your recommendations. I'll definitely add the setting for adjusting faders width. In fact, I just added a similar feature to the ScaleBud's keyboard, it won't be hard for me to adding the same feature :)
    Also, I like the idea of switching the steps with next/previous buttons inside the Step Editor screen. Wait this one for the next update, let's say v1.1 👍

About deleting the individual step, just long press the LED of the step you want to delete. You'll see the delete option.
    And, about the keyboard in the Step Editor screen, you can use your MIDI keyboard instead of the on-screen one, if you route your MIDI keyboard to the StepBud's MIDI in port. If you are using the AUv3, route it over the host app, if you are using the standalone, route it over the settings menu, by enabling the MIDI in port of your keyboard.

• Don't if somebody noticed but if you select dominant 7th for example, and you press again to select another scale, it will be marked mixolydian and when press cancel, it will be marked dominant 7th. Anyway the scale wheel seemed to be buggy the more you go downward the list of scales.

• @paradiddle said:
    Don't if somebody noticed but if you select dominant 7th for example, and you press again to select another scale, it will be marked mixolydian and when press cancel, it will be marked dominant 7th. Anyway the scale wheel seemed to be buggy the more you go downward the list of scales.

Opps! Yeah, there was a bug there, thanks for the heads up. Just fixed it!

• edited April 2019

Just released v1.0.2
    Beat sync, scale picker and AUV3 lock mode bugs solved 👍

• Cheers cool!

• Random, but a clear all option would be cool to just restart when the sequence isn't working out for me lol, but removing the app, adding back then reconnecting midi is a lot of step and I'm lazy 😂😂 just a clear all would be sweet cuz I make a lot of bad choices

• edited April 2019

@reasOne I believe there is a "Default" preset when used as an AUv3 in AUM + apeMatrix that should get you back to square one.

• @royor said:
    @reasOne I believe there is a "Default" preset when used as an AUv3 in AUM + apeMatrix that should get you back to square one.

Ahhh that'll do it

• So, I did two 30s app preview videos for App Store page of the StepBud. I uploaded them to youtube as well.

iPhone:

iPad:

• It reminds me of MidiSequencer and Quantum :)

• This thing is a hoot. Really nice workflow. Way to go @cem_olcay

Suggestion - when you insert a "rest" by setting velocity to 0, it would be nice to have some sort of visual feedback about that in the other parameters. Basically a way of telling which steps are "active" and which aren't.

• @ecamburn said:
    This thing is a hoot. Really nice workflow. Way to go @cem_olcay

Suggestion - when you insert a "rest" by setting velocity to 0, it would be nice to have some sort of visual feedback about that in the other parameters. Basically a way of telling which steps are "active" and which aren't.

I do have visual feedback, but only if you toggle off the step by tapping its LED. That's the easiest way to create a rest :)

• @cem_olcay said:

@ecamburn said:
    This thing is a hoot. Really nice workflow. Way to go @cem_olcay

I do have visual feedback, but only if you toggle off the step by tapping its LED. That's the easiest way to create a rest :)

Great. Thanks

• @cem_olcay : +1 to being able to move to next/prep step from StepBud's note-editing keyboard.

Really loving using this with Re-Slice and Samplist for shuffling sliced audio.

It would be interesting if StepBud had a line/curve gallery that you could pick from to either set the slider positions OR used as a displacement map in conjunction with the master slider to move slider positions towards (or away) from the chosen curve.

If that didn't make sense, I can post some video of the Shuffler from the MetaSynth Mac app which has this feature.

• Sometimes I feel I'm 'cursed' because I always bump into issues with apps...

In StepBud some of the functions are not visible even when the AUv3 window is maximised.

I have to make the window a LOT wider and move the content outside in order to access some of the functions.

I do hope @cem_olcay can fix this UI related issue for the next update...
    (Maybe two rows of buttons instead of everything on one row that doesn't fit on the screen?)

Also consider adding a 'Ratchet' feature in addition to the 'Repeat' function.

Cheers!

• edited April 2019

Hey @Samu, mode and settings bars are scrollable. I'm even flashing their scroll bars a few times for pointing that out.
    And for ratcheing, you might want to try increasing both repeat count and the rate of a step :smile:

• edited April 2019

@cem_olcay said:
    Hey @Samu, mode and settings bars are scrollable. I'm even flashing their scroll bars a few times for pointing that out.

I've not noticed any 'flashing' in AUM only a 'dark-grey line' when I pan the menu?!
    (I'm on iPad Air 2, iOS12.2).

Thanks for the tip though, now I can reach them options without making the window huuuuuge :D

Hoping Ratcheting finds it's way into an update :)

• Yeah, they are flashing when you fire up the app.
    BTW for ratcheting, you might want to try increasing both repeat count and the rate of a step :smile:

• @cem_olcay said:
    Yeah, they are flashing when you fire up the app.
    BTW for ratcheting, you might want to try increasing both repeat count and the rate of a step :smile:

Yeah, that crossed my mind, sometimes I'm just lazy :D
    Thanks again!

• @cem_olcay said:

Oh this is a brilliant idea! I should link this with one of brambos Ruismaker and get some glitchy beats running with ratcheting and stuff. Thanks for the hint! 👍🏼

• @david_2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

Oh this is a brilliant idea! I should link this with one of brambos Ruismaker and get some glitchy beats running with ratcheting and stuff. Thanks for the hint! 👍🏼

I'm using the 'scissor tool' in Atom to Ratchet notes.
    StepPolyArp unit is also quite handy for this after setting up the scale to match the notes in Ruismaker.

In StepBud it's a bit more tricky since one has to check both repeat and rate so the beat stays in sync and it's even more tricky to trigger multiple sounds to play at once (ie. custom chords are needed for this).

• @Samu said:

@david_2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

StepPolyArp unit is also quite handy for this after setting up the scale to match the notes in Ruismaker.

In StepBud it's a bit more tricky since one has to check both repeat and rate so the beat stays in sync and it's even more tricky to trigger multiple sounds to play at once (ie. custom chords are needed for this).

@Samu said:

@david_2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

Yup, custom chords are supported. Just double tap the LED of the step you want to put custom chord/note. You'll go the Step Editor where you can assign any note/chord to your step 👍

In this mode, you can press the preview button to play your selected notes.
    Also, if you routed a MIDI keyboard to the StepBud, you may use your keyboard for setting up your custom chord.

• @cem_olcay said:

Yup, custom chords are supported. Just double tap the LED of the step you want to put custom chord/note. You'll go the Step Editor where you can assign any note/chord to your step 👍

Yeah, I've noticed that, playing around with the app as I write this :)
    Have not gotten around to check if the sequence can be transposed using incoming midi-notes yet...
    (I love the idea of a sequence controlling another sequence controlling another etc. etc. etc.).

• @Samu said:

@cem_olcay said:

Yeah, I've noticed that, playing around with the app as I write this :)
    Have not gotten around to check if the sequence can be transposed using incoming midi-notes yet...
    (I love the idea of a sequence controlling another sequence controlling another etc. etc. etc.).

Well, you can change the key of the sequencer from the settings bar and that would instantly transpose the sequencer while playing. But, no, you can't change the key from a MIDI keyboard or a MIDI source for now.

• @cem_olcay : I don’t know if this is an Auria Pro or StepBud bug but when I try to grow the window StepBud is in, the display is wrong:

• @espiegel123 yeah, I just tried on Auria, it showed up like this as well, but it fixed after I play with the size. I don’t think it’s a StepBud thing but I’ll do a debug anyway tomorrow morning.

• @cem_olcay Can I use a virtual keyboard chord app such as ChordPolyPad to enter custom chords in the Edit mode or does it have to be a hardware midi keyboard? I tried entering chords using ChordPolyPad but to no avail.

• @Musicfan said:
    @cem_olcay Can I use a virtual keyboard chord app such as ChordPolyPad to enter custom chords in the Edit mode or does it have to be a hardware midi keyboard? I tried entering chords using ChordPolyPad but to no avail.

You need to route your MIDI hardware/software output port to StepBud’s MIDI in port.
    You can do this on your host app’s MIDI patch bay, if you are using the AUv3.
    And you can use the settings menu if you are using the standalone app.