Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB virtual midi out port makes huge hit on CPU

edited March 2019 in Support and Feedback

Trying to confirm Bug/Feature:

If I have a session that outputs to the new AB Virtual MIDI port feature, then upon loading it the CPU meter will read a bit less than 50%.

But, if I launch any app that AB recognizes as having MIDI before launching AB itself, then the CPU meter hits around 10%. This could be a synth like Addictive Pro, a DAW like Auria, or anything.

What magic is in the background, instantiating the port with another app is better than letting AB load it as blank at first. Why is this happening, am I missing something?

Comments

• Hey @Zetagy - just looking into this today, and I can't reproduce it! Is there a particular setup in AB that produces this 50% CPU effect? I just quickly setup Rozeta LFO going into the MIDI Learn port, controlling the volume on a Ripplemaker AU instance, and it wasn't consuming any more CPU than with Ripplemaker + a disconnected Rozeta LFO on its own. Any clues for me?

• edited April 2019

@Michael Xequence sends to Streambyter Effect, which sends to 4 Streambyter Instruments. Those 4 send to 4 Effect instances of StepPolyArpUnit. Those send to 4 more Streambyter Instruments, which in turn send to Audiobus Virtual Midi Out.

If the Moog Model 15 app is launched before Audiobus is, then the CPU is fine at 10% idling the AB session. If no MIDI app is launched, then the CPU idles at about 50%, making things very crackling while working.

I'd be happy to share the AB session with you. If I generate the usual share link through AB, will it save the Xequence and SPAU files within?

• @Zetagy said:
    @Michael Xequence sends to Streambyter Effect, which sends to 4 Streambyter Instruments. Those 4 send to 4 Effect instances of StepPolyArpUnit. Those send to 4 more Streambyter Instruments, which in turn send to Audiobus Virtual Midi Out.

If the Moog Model 15 app is launched before Audiobus is, then the CPU is fine at 10% idling the AB session. If no MIDI app is launched, then the CPU idles at about 50%, making things very crackling while working.

I'd be happy to share the AB session with you. If I generate the usual share link through AB, will it save the Xequence and SPAU files within?

Wow, lots of stuff going on there - are you able to reproduce the same issue with a simpler setup? What if Xequence is just going straight to Virtual MIDI out? If not, sure, sharing the session will be helpful (use "Get Support" in the app's settings for that).

Oh, finally: are you on the latest 3.4 beta?