Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

nanostudio 2 audio track?

Comments

• Stupid NS2 question ... can 4 Pockets be used within NS2 for audio recording?

• @kinkujin said:
    Stupid NS2 question ... can 4 Pockets be used within NS2 for audio recording?

when inserted as FX, it can record audio which passes through it (so you can record other synths), but when uset as instrument, then no - unfortunately NS doesn't pass audio from input into AU instrument..

• Lately, when I use NS2, I’m on my phone and I don’t use any plugins. Just NS2. It’s been great. I never have an idea when I start writing so whatever comes out with the tools available is what comes out. The iPhone version is insanely well done and eats up no cpu or battery life. The internal effects are awesome especially being able to route audio through multiple tracks for parallel processing. Everything is fast and well thought. With my style of music, I really don’t need anything else.

I suspect this was how the app was intended to be used at its inception and, when used this way, it’s been amazing for me. Sorry for those that need more from it, hope your wildest dreams come true.

• edited May 2020

@drez
    I suspect this was how the app was intended to be used at its inception

pretty much exactly this was always Matt's vision of NS..

but it works perfectly with miRack :-) miRack has same insane level of CPU optimalisation like NS, so for me it works like dream combo :)

It's no concidence that both those apps are fully coded in C++ :)

• I have not tried NS2 on an iPhone but I did try NS1 and I could see how NS2 would be amazing without plugins. NS1 with ONE HAND on a 4S was amazing. It felt like something Tom Cruise would use while parkouring.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@Turntablist said:
    Where are people getting all this info about the developer ?
    I have never seen him do any relevant communication at all here, has he given info about the poor sales etc on his forum or something ?
    Sounds like he has moved on and has a different career path now or something, but everything is very vague Second hand reported by some dude who heard it from somewhere.

Is it still being developed or is it abandoned in favour of a different career to pay bills ?
    It would just be nice to know if all the serious issues it has will ever get fixed or not.

Everything I posted has been taken directly from posts from the developer on his own forum and from my own recollection of posts I have read by others who should know.

As regards moving to part-time development, he said so directly in a post some time after the iPhone release. Comments about other causes of delays due to Audiobus implementation and AU fixes were taken from reliable persons very close to the developer. My opinion that there was no misleading Marketing by the developer, but only vast forum hype not by others, is from memory of the threads at the time, of which I read every one.

I doubt it matters enough to you, and know it doesn't matter enough to me, to take the time to dig up those posts to back up what I say, so I'll just leave it there.

-cheers, health, 'n peace. B)

• I doubt a guy works six years on an app only to abandon it after such a short time. I’d bet he’s playing the long game because that’s what his track record suggests, and that dates back to NS1. The iPhone update was huge. I didn’t realize how much I appreciated it. I don’t even work on my iPad with NS2 anymore. I only use iPad for drambo. All NS2 is now on iPhone Pro for me.

I believe audio tracks will come out because he said he would do it and that, historically, has shown he’s been true to his word, but not a timeline. That’s close enough for me.

• @kinkujin said:
    And our esteemed member @dendy was on that team and I believe did several presets as well.

I think he made most of them, the man is a machine!

• So its all guess work then, the developer hasnt even posted on his own forum for an extremely long time, right ?

• @Turntablist said:
    So its all guess work then, the developer hasnt even posted on his own forum for an extremely long time, right ?

Educated guesswork

• An educated guess would be, he has moved on and is trying to actually make some money, surely ?

That is pretty much the bulk of developers in the iOS music making world, we can reel off developers left and right who had to move on.

• @Turntablist said:
    An educated guess would be, he has moved on and is trying to actually make some money, surely ?

That is pretty much the bulk of developers in the iOS music making world, we can reel off developers left and right who had to move on.

I would categorize that as uneducated for the reasons I posted above. You kept stating in the drambo thread that drambo was vaporware and a hype machine when the developer was communicating in thread all the time. Now here it is and people talk about it everywhere and it still annoys you.

Now you have a dev that keeps to himself and is releasing when he’s ready and that’s not good enough for you. I saw above where you edited out of your post that you said NS2’s sales were bad.

So...where did you get that information?

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

Last active January 18, 2020. I don't consider that an "extremely" long time myself, and it's not an uncommonly long dark period for this particular developer by my recollection. But that's just me.

Based on my opinion of the demonstrated character of the man over many years, I can only conclude that if he'd abandoned work on the product that he would actually make an announcement of that fact. I'd call that an educated guess on my part. I'd call concluding the app has been abandoned and audio tracks will never come jumping to conclusions without contextual backing. Or just grumpy pessimism. I have no complaints about grumpy pessimism, but it's no more "educated" than any other guess. B)

I re-read the post where he last commented on available development time. "About half-time" rather than "part time" was the way he characterized the time he's able to put into development. That was in October 2019 when the iPhone version released.

(BTW - the last post by the BM3 developer on the Intua forum was September 2019)

• edited May 2020

@wim said:
    Last active January 18, 2020. I don't consider that an "extremely" long time myself, and it's not an uncommonly long dark period for this particular developer by my recollection. But that's just me.

Based on the demonstrated character of the man over many years, I can only conclude that if he'd abandoned work on the product that he would actually make an announcement of that fact. I'd call that an educated guess on my part. I'd call concluding the app has been abandoned and audio tracks will never come jumping to conclusions without contextual backing. Or just grumpy pessimism. I have no complaints about grumpy pessimism, but it's no more "educated" than any other guess. B)

I re-read the post where he last commented on available development time. "About half-time" rather than "part time" was the way he characterized the time he's able to put into development. That was in October 2019 when the iPhone version released.

When the A-day occur, we all will be insanely happy and superimpressed with Nanostudio v2.x with Audiofile-support...
    It can be this summer, or next summer, maybe this winter, or, 2023, who knows, BUT, Nanostudio 2 in present condition is a fantastic product already!

• Drambo thread was a hype machine, that is a simple unarguable fact, please point to where I called it vaporware, if you can't then you are lying to create a narrative (no surprise there)
    And honestly, for years Drambo WAS vaporware, another unarguable fact.
    Have i posted anything bad about Drambo since release, even though I think it is an absolutely terribly designed app (guess what, I am allowed to have a different opinion to you) no, I haven't.
    Lets get one thing straight, neither Drambo or its developer has EVER annoyed me, again you lie to fit ypur narrative, but the Drambois Fanbois, you guys, just wow.

NS2 going on sale two weeks after release, doesn't point to poor sales, and you have the audacity to call me uneducated.

As per usual though, NS2 fanbois will happily use ad hominem haha.

This is all guesswork and we have plenty of post release sales and very few updates to suggest (you know, a guess) that the developer has moved on from this tiny niche section of the market,vto actually make some money.

Now, unless you have some concrete FACTS, stop attacking people for having an opinion or guess, the exact same way you have an opinion or guess, you are not the Drambo/NS2 or ABF police.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@Turntablist said:
    Drambo thread was a hype machine, that is a simple unarguable fact ...

I'm interested in what you mean by the term hype machine. There's hype that's natural when people get excited about things, and then there's hype that is intentional and directed by some entity. There's hype that's overstated (intentionally or not) and hype that's based on people's over the top enthusiasm for actual demonstrated things that overexcite them.

It's a genuine question - not something designed to bring about an argument. I just find that thread, and people's various reactions to it fascinating. No need to answer if you don't feel like it.

• @wim said:

@Turntablist said:
    Drambo thread was a hype machine, that is a simple unarguable fact ...

I'm interested in what you mean by the term hype machine. There's hype that's natural when people get excited about things, and then there's hype that is intentional and directed by some entity.

It's a genuine question - not something designed to bring about an argument. I just find that thread, and people's various reactions to it fascinating. No need to answer if you don't feel like it.

• OT from the thread at hand but I think it is fair to say that Drambo was hyped prior to release.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

Thanks @gusgranite - of course I looked up the definition before asking. Hype can also be defined as simple over-excitement.

The definition you picked implies directed and intentional over promotion. I'm interested to know whether @Turntablist is actually saying that it was intentional and directed, or just ridiculous over-excitement, in his opinion.

It's OT to the thread anyway, so I hope this doesn't lead to any further derailment or argument.

• edited May 2020

As i have already stated, the developer never annoyed me, he just started a thread too early, but posts from Drambous Fanbois testers like "Oh man you wont believe how great Drambo is" on a regular basis just to boost the thread to the front page, hype, intentional, directed and promotional, hype machine.
    Again, to be clear, not from the developer, who is a good developer who just started a thread way too early, from the Drambois Fanbois, you know, the same guys that still say "I can do that easily in Drambo" even in other developers release threads.

• Thanks.

• edited May 2020

@Turntablist
    NS2 going on sale two weeks after release, doesn't point to poor sales, and you have the audacity to call me uneducated.

Just want add some facts:

RELEASE: 19.10.2018
    FIRST SALE: 03.02.2019

(doesn't look like 2 weeks to me :)))

• H> @dendy said:

@Turntablist

Just want add some facts:

RELEASE: 19.10.2018
    FIRST SALE: 03.02.2019

(doesn't look like 2 weeks to me :)))

Huh?

King

• From what I recall:
    It wasn't the dev who started that thread.
    The thread actually contributed to development a lot, which is why it took longer to release D imo.
    There was only one tester who behaved the way you described (which I found annoying too btw) the rest of them actually tried to showcase or teach D not to sell or hype.
    Most people do enjoy it, so it's worth the wait.
    None of the above makes your opinion any less valid.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    From what I recall:
    It wasn't the dev who started that thread.
    The thread actually contributed to development a lot, which is why it took longer to release D imo.
    There was only one tester who behaved the way you described (which I found annoying too btw) the rest of them actually tried to showcase or teach D not to sell or hype.
    Most people do enjoy it, so it's worth the wait.
    None of the above makes your opinion any less valid.

+1 -- yeah, from what I can see that thread really helped inspire Giku to take Drambo places that hadn't originally been contemplated. In my opinion (and I was not a beta tester), it was cool to watch the process unfold and I don't think that thread happened to early. Had it happened later, Drambo might already have been so far along that it wouldn't have been possible to take it where it went.

@Turntablist : re your educated guess. In my opinion that developer's history suggests that he has not abandoned the app. Believe what you want to believe. But he has a history of being a hard-working stand-up guy. Like most devs, he has to fit this into also working a day job. I would guess (as a former developer myself who has been through situations like this) that it is simply a matter of the audio tracks being a much harder feature to implement to his high standards than he anticipated.

• I see @Turntablist is moaning again. The biggest disappointment in his life was Drambo being released. I'm glad he's found a new focus. Not sure what he'll do when Matt releases audio tracks. Just let him have this guys. He needs this more than you do.

• edited May 2020

@Turntablist said:
    Drambo thread was a hype machine, that is a simple unarguable fact,

See, you,are saying this as if it’s a fact when it’s clearly an opinion. I could argue it wasn’t. And that would also be an opinion.

The developer even credits the thread on his site:

All passionate people on Audiobus / Drambo thread (can you imagine 170 pages about unreleased app? :D ). . Love!

His opinion was that the people are passionate and that he has mentioned how he used that thread to dictate the direction of the platform. You yourself posted about p-locks and the benefits of them. Heck, you might have slowed down the progress by your suggestions :P

IMO, he appears to have gotten a lot of inspiration from that thread not just for ideas but also encouragement. Yet, I scrolled through and most posts you made in there were negative. Just...negativity. What was the point?

please point to where I called it vaporware, if you can't then you are lying to create a narrative (no surprise there)
    And honestly, for years Drambo WAS vaporware, another unarguable fact.

You didn’t use the term vaporware, but all your posts in the thread are supporting the term. And you literally just said it is an unarguable fact, so you obviously believe it to be true. So how can I create a narrative that’s a lie when you obviously agree with what narrative I’m creating?

Have i posted anything bad about Drambo since release, even though I think it is an absolutely terribly designed app (guess what, I am allowed to have a different opinion to you) no, I haven't.

I didn’t say you said anything bad about drambo the product (even though you just did). I said Now here it is and people talk about it everywhere and it still annoys you... the discussion of it annoys you. The fact that people think it’s awesome and useful in a lot of situations annoys you. You don’t like when people interject where you could create something in drambo to use here or there. If you want I can screenshot those and paste them here. You have hopped into the drambo threads and pepper them with negative posts about it. People can have opinions about the use cases. Like you said, everyone is entitled to them.

Lets get one thing straight, neither Drambo or its developer has EVER annoyed me, again you lie to fit ypur narrative, but the Drambois Fanbois, you guys, just wow.

You accused the developer of basically having a guy purposefully create hype:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/739330/#Comment_739330

To be fair, he is very much to do with beepstreet, the developer has chosen him to be a hype orchestrator (I believe he calls it a beta tester)

You seemed pretty annoyed by what your perceived was something underhanded being done by the developer ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Audicity? You literally made a mistake on the one thing on here that can be verified as fact. (EDIT: Reading European date format screws with us Americans) Maybe you were making up a date to fit your own narrative? I don’t know. Anyway, 2weeks != +4 months. Nor is it even close. As a counter argument, drambo was launched on sale and hasn’t increased after it was supposedly supposed to only be for a few weeks. Does that mean sales are good or bad? It could mean the developer can do whatever they want and that there are different methods of pricing and...that’s it. Dunno, but it would appear to be very suggestive and nothing factual based on the widely different pricing styles across the board with developers.

As per usual though, NS2 fanbois will happily use ad hominem haha.

I’m not attacking your character, i’m literally reading your own posts. That has nothing to do with character, it’s the words you type. I will be happy to post all of your fly by posts making fun of those you claim are making hype. THAT is true ad hominem because you are attacking the motives behind why they are excited about a product. You say hype others can say excitement. That is a perception, nothing more, with either way you see it.

This is all guesswork and we have plenty of post release sales and very few updates to suggest (you know, a guess) that the developer has moved on from this tiny niche section of the market,vto actually make some money.

And we also have plenty of info to suggest (you know, a guess) that the developer doesn’t do a lot of maintenance releases because his product is so solid. He’s generally a feature release developer and the testers are so good that there aren’t a lot of bugs that show up at release...which takes more time, thus the longer release cycles. It’s not agile, but works for him.

Now, unless you have some concrete FACTS, stop attacking people for having an opinion or guess, the exact same way you have an opinion or guess, you are not the Drambo/NS2 or ABF police.

I didn’t attack anybody. I asked you for clarification about where you said sales were bad and you went off. I don’t have to agree with you and vice versa. And I can post a rebuttal to anything on the forum. If you don’t like that, don’t post an opinion. The way you say things as unarguable fact throughout your posts is veiling your opinion as something as fact when it may not be so. It might be factual to you because you have proven it to be true to yourself, but not to others.

Scrolling through your timeline, it seems that you consistently like to show up in threads and kind of have a jab (consistently in drambo and NS2 threads) and then get mad if somebody contradicts you. The reason I speak out in NS2 threads is because I’ve been using blips products extensively for almost 10 years. I’m extremely familiar with how he develops and releases his product and how he determines what he deems important to the success of his product because I’ve been along for the ride the entire time. In the forum that predated the current forum you could follow his product development methodology and the organic growth of NS1 to see how he works and his dedication. I have done that as have others here.

So sure, if I see something that I think spreads what I perceive as disinformation (like 2 weeks vs 4 months) that is mentioned off the cuff as fact, I’ll be happy to question it. Sorry if that offends you or you think I’m the drambo, or more pointedly to this thread, the NS2 police. I’m not, I just happen to have a different opinion than you with perhaps a different level of experience with Matt’s process. So sure, opine away...just like the rest of us and the rest of us will do the same.

• @drcongo said:
    @GLacey I’d happily pay more than the cost of Cubasis for an NS3 that was just NS2 with audio tracks and full parameter exposure. (Ok, maybe chuck in multiout support)

Agreed.

• @DukeWonder said:

@drcongo said:
    @GLacey I’d happily pay more than the cost of Cubasis for an NS3 that was just NS2 with audio tracks and full parameter exposure. (Ok, maybe chuck in multiout support)

Agreed.

Zenbeats is free

• @anickt said:

@DukeWonder said:

@drcongo said:

Agreed.

Zenbeats is free

Eh.