Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My humble request for a super-simple AU: A DJ-style combo HP/LP+Rex filter...

2»

Comments

• edited May 2021

@wahnfrieden said:
    That offers both low and high pass in one knob?

Looks like it might be time for me to buy Drambo for this one thing: https://patchstorage.com/pioneer-djm-style-1-knob-filter/

Definitely!
    Drambo also integrates well with those DJ style USB controllers and it's very efficient, even with such small projects.

Raise your hand if you need help building your perfect 1-knob filter.

• edited May 2021

Ah amazing thanks for the JAF find.

What other DJ use cases does Drambo help with? I’m basically trying to set up a Traktor-ish clone strictly for routing AUM busses into (rather than pre-recorded material) to have a DJ mixing abilities on top of my live PA (especially to combine live elements with a looper device on a 2nd channel).

My primary remaining problems are: no crossfader (the AUM tricks I’ve found don’t let you have appropriate curves); DJ 3 EQ (or even 4), but there are a couple solutions to this that I need to try first, like the FAC Bandit.

• @wahnfrieden said:
    Update: Koala FX is unusable, the low pass filter does not go nearly as far as standard DJ mixer filter FX and is more suited for the general feeling of being low passed, not much precision or isolation.

Turnado works except that it is completely unusable because it treats the 0 point as “off” - the filter bypasses if you twist from the center point fully to the left to low pass.

Still haven’t found a usable solution. :(

I just looked up what these do in the DJM-900. The filters are easy. Any kind of SVF with a tunable resonance will do the job. The complications in doing this in a modular setting is the control. The control has a small zone to either side of 12-oclock. When you sweep to one side it kicks on the LP and starts the sweep from the high freq. limit to about 80Hz. Going the other direction kicks on the HP and sweeps it up to about 5kHz. In a modular setting you set these filter frequencies to where you want.

You could try it in a MIDI filtering tool that could send a bypass to the two filters in the center of the range, and then flip on either on in the sweep and send the mapped MIDI to the filter that is active.

• edited May 2021

@wahnfrieden said:

What other DJ use cases does Drambo help with? I’m basically trying to set up a Traktor-ish clone strictly for routing AUM busses into (rather than pre-recorded material) to have a DJ mixing abilities on top of my live PA (especially to combine live elements with a looper device on a 2nd channel).

My primary remaining problems are: no crossfader (the AUM tricks I’ve found don’t let you have appropriate curves); DJ 3 EQ (or even 4), but there are a couple solutions to this that I need to try first, like the FAC Bandit.

Drambo has a MIDI controllable crossfader that can be mapped to anything inside Drambo.
    I can show you how to build a crossfader with any switchable and customizable curve/response.
    You wouldn't need a Bandit anymore 😉

• @rs2000 said:

@wahnfrieden said:

Drambo has a MIDI controllable crossfader that can be mapped to anything inside Drambo.
    I can show you how to build a crossfader with any switchable and customizable curve/response.
    You wouldn't need a Bandit anymore 😉

Here’s a ready made Hi-pass/Lo-pass filter with true bypass that you can use in Drambo.

https://patchstorage.com/dual-hi-pass-lo-pass-filter/

• Would Drambo be able to crossfade between two AUM channels as inputs? I’m unfamiliar with multi-in capabilities.

• @wahnfrieden said:
    That offers both low and high pass in one knob?

Looks like it might be time for me to buy Drambo for this one thing: https://patchstorage.com/pioneer-djm-style-1-knob-filter/

haha I was going to link to the Drambo effect patch I made but looks like you beat me to it!
    Drambo works well as an effect device. You can add/make more devices to build up a chain of fx for the channel in one effect slot in AUM.

• edited May 2021

Current pain point is that JAF Deejay does not appear to support saving/loading presets and loses its configuration on AUM reload. Its defaults are inappropriate for typical use.

• @wahnfrieden said:
    Would Drambo be able to crossfade between two AUM channels as inputs? I’m unfamiliar with multi-in capabilities.

No, you'd rather do it all inside Drambo.

• edited May 2021

Take an AUM high pass and low pass filter, map 1 knob with a macro?
    64-127 for high pass, 0-63 but inverted (so left goes 0-63 from12oclock) for low pass, and limit the range?
    I too am surprised for the lack of a simple 1 knob filter.

• edited July 2021

Update:

Deejay has suited my needs except that it uses a LOT of CPU (or contributes a lot to DSP). Understandable because it models analog circuitry, sure… This means it’s completely impractical to have one on each mixer channel. So I resume my search for single knob hi/lo filter with gentler CPU impact.

@AlmostAnonymous didn’t work unfortunately. maybe time for Mozaic…

• edited July 2021

Looks like 8x FabFilter Pro-Q 3 + a Mozaic script for flipping the band shape, routing MIDI directly to the plugin (to avoid eating up precious MIDI space in AUM) will work without consuming much CPU at all, surprisingly. I’ll share the script if I get it working and there’s interest.