Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Damage Enso

Comments

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

Set up Enso to midi map cc for the + and - values, then set up @brambos perforator to send those + and - cc values. So instead of sending LFO you’re sending increments. Just make sure you have same number of + values as - values or it eventually runs away. That way you can use Enso’s native increment values (ie the .01, octave, etc) to control how much each step modulates the value.

>

Having looked into this a little further I still prefer the Rozeta LFO route, but the thing to do is modulate the LFO with itself and use a sine wave. That way you can have a repeating pattern but over 4, 8, 16 bars etc. And that will mimic wow & flutter nicely, and not be easily recognisable as a repeating pattern and most importantly keep a lid on overall timing so that note events don't start slipping away (if that's your intention).

Having said that about timing, one of my favourite features of the Soundtoys Echoboy VST/AU (the benchmark plugin for analog/hardware delay emulations) is that you can specify whether the delay/loop rushes or drags over time as well as whether it features swing or shuffle. Much as Echoboy is mainly seen as a delay effect, it's a brilliant looper as Soundtoys is engineered by the same team that created many of Eventide's legendary hardware devices that were popular choices within digitally powered looper setups.

I'm really appreciative of the essential information you pointed out in the Midi settings with regard to specifying the floating point increment/decrement value used by the integer MIDI CC increment/decrement value. Another example of how well thought out Enso is for both MIDI CC and host automation control.

Plus I hadn't realised that @brambos Perforator had that hidden ability to send out MIDI values for the envelopes. I generally download any PDF documentation if it's available but hadn't done so with Perforator as it's so intuitive. Should have known that @brambos would have added a bonus feature as it's something he often does. :)

• @wim said:
    Here’s a video showing how Enso can be used to reduce CPU utilization in quick jams. There are many, many other ways to accomplish the same thing, but I find this kind of handy...

Great way to save!

• @espiegel123 said:

@skoptic said:

@skoptic said:
    I’m loving the app - but one thing I’m struggling with. I want to trigger (precise and quantised) actions via the cc mapping, but can’t see any easy way to do this in Cubasis or AUM (haven’t tried BM3).

Any suggestions? The only thing I’ve got working is Rozeta LFO in AUM, but ideally I’d like to trigger rec points, reverse points, sector selection starts, quantized, preferably in Cubasis.... eluding me so far.

Without that it’s falling into the camp of (awesome) ambient noodle, rather than Sector-esque looping glitch mayhem ;)

Anyone getting any traction here. From what I can see the left hand buttons call all quantize to the measure, 1/2 etc but the right hand buttons don't seem to quantise (in the manual it just says 'the buttons' will quantise) and it all starts going fairly random when my lack of tempo starts getting involved ;)

The quantize options are called Mode Quantize which implies they apply to the mode buttons. It would be cool to have a quantize option for the sector play buttons, too. It might be worth sending a note to that effect to Audio Damage.

My main wish is an option for a micro fade in/out at transitions to eliminate clicks.

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@jonmoore said:

@wim said:
    Yeh, just a touch of a slightly erratic LFO on the playback speed parameter should make an acceptable tape wobble. Rozeta LFO should be just the ticket.

This might lead to loop timing problems though if that’s important.

It all depends on the granularity of the values. I have a feeling that the MIDI CC restriction of 128 values might be a little too coarse even with a max plus/minus of 1. On the desktop plugin you're able to achieve the same goal but using the full floating point resolution of host automation - that's obviously far more subtle, but the desktop plugin is ten times the price, so you'd hope there were bonuses! Another reason I'm happy I purchased the desktop version is that RAM isn't something you have to consider (especially if the workstation is stacked full of the stuff). I'm thinking that some of the errant behaviour people have been experiencing with the iOS version is down to device RAM.

I've been recording with full bar multiple loops and keeping the audio content away from the first and last 16th (or thereabouts), just to give a bit of freedom ref timing modulations. Helps stop clicks with subtle time variations. And as long as you keep to the same approach with the overdubs you should be safe. The other obvious thing, is to add reverb/delay and suchlike outside of the feedback loop. Helps glue things together without breaking the empty areas at the beginning and end of the recorded loops.

Set up Enso to midi map cc for the + and - values, then set up @brambos perforator to send those + and - cc values. So instead of sending LFO you’re sending increments. Just make sure you have same number of + values as - values or it eventually runs away. That way you can use Enso’s native increment values (ie the .01, octave, etc) to control how much each step modulates the value.

Thanks :) Will send something to AD. Good call on Perforator setup :)

• What would be the advantage of using Rozeta LFO or Perforator to automate +/- values versus using the LFO control in apeMatrix?

• @skiphunt said:
    What would be the advantage of using Rozeta LFO or Perforator to automate +/- values versus using the LFO control in apeMatrix?

The advantage with Rozeta is that you effectively have two LFO's in series so you can make one modulate the other. This results in less predictable patterns - you get cycles within cycles, where one can be larger and cycle e.g. over sixteen bars, and that features a sub-cycle repeating e.g. every three beats. The total pattern repeats over sixteen bars but feels less predictable because of the sub-cycles.

Hope I explained that without it sounding like double-dutch!

• @oat_phipps said:
    Dub in place deselected. Now the fun begins

@wim said:
    Here’s a video showing how Enso can be used to reduce CPU utilization in quick jams. There are many, many other ways to accomplish the same thing, but I find this kind of handy...

Thanks..

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@skiphunt said:
    What would be the advantage of using Rozeta LFO or Perforator to automate +/- values versus using the LFO control in apeMatrix?

Works in hosts other than Ape Matrix, which isn’t always my host of choice.

• @jonmoore said:

@skiphunt said:

The advantage with Rozeta is that you effectively have two LFO's in series so you can make one modulate the other. This results in less predictable patterns - you get cycles within cycles, where one can be larger and cycle e.g. over sixteen bars, and that features a sub-cycle repeating e.g. every three beats. The total pattern repeats over sixteen bars but feels less predictable because of the sub-cycles.

Hope I explained that without it sounding like double-dutch!

Thanks. I’ll have to give that a try too. Though, I just tried using the apeMatrix LFO to modulate a couple different parameters and it never sounded predictable to me.

• @skiphunt said:

Thanks. I’ll have to give that a try too. Though, I just tried using the apeMatrix LFO to modulate a couple different parameters and it never sounded predictable to me.

And at the end of the day, the only thing that's important is that you're happy with the choices you make. There's no best or right way. :)

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Works in hosts other than Ape Matrix, which isn’t always my host of choice.

Weird to me... apeMatrix has become my first choice host. The grid layout in apeMatrix just makes seeing everything at once so much easier to keep track of what I’ve got going on. Also easier and quicker to change module connections on the fly. Dig all the other hosts too for various reasons, but all in all the grid paradigm of apeMatrix clicks better for me. Much less scrolling and/or switching between windows.

Will give the Rozeta & Perforator approaches a shot too though.

• @jonmoore said:

@skiphunt said:

And at the end of the day, the only thing that's important is that you're happy with the choices you make. There's no best or right way. :)

Of course! I was mostly curious if the approaches would be similar or redundant. It’s easier to cut out another app module load and just use the LFO controls in apeMatrix if that’s what you’re using as I am. Was also curious of how it’d be different and you explained how it’d yield a different result. Thx

• If you just want a less predictable pattern, can´t you use a S&H type LFO? With a slow change rate applied to the Enso speed, this could be seen as a jerky tape motor.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

We need a “got stuck in the cassette player and had to be untangled” tape emulation. Maybe additional S&H LFOs on the volume and saturation...

• @wim said:
    We need a “got stuck in the cassette player and had to be untangled” tape emulation. Maybe additional S&H LFOs on the volume and saturation...

Along with ‘slightly melted in a hot car’ tape emulation.

• I posted this on another thread but I think it's important for practicing instrumentalists to understand the value of this App for their practice sessions.

Enso is a perfect looper for instrumental practice sessions. You can set up a good guitar rig (for example) on an AUM or AB track and route it through the Enso AUv3 App and record some number of preset measures like a chord progression. It will then drop into "Play Loop" mode to practice solos over the chords.

Hit trigger again and it will overdubs a solo for you to listen back to. The pitch doesn't change when you move the BPM/tempo in the DAW up or down. It gets stretched or squashed to maintain a new tempo. (Probably good uses for that to transcribe fast solos too).

You can also import any audio files to become the starting loop for a practice session and save any loop for recall later with the session settings as a complete preset.

Since it's an AUv3 you can have the backing loop running in one instance and open a second to record, listen and delete. It's fun to lay down a solo/melody and add a harmonic 2nd line to it. That might be useful for writing arrangements and hearing what works or doesn't.

For extra fun the loops can be played in reverse which keeps the tonal sense going with attack release envelopes you just can't produce naturally. Of course the chord progression is backwards so resolutions aren't happening unless you plan for it.

I like a complex guitar rig so having everything reachable from AUM makes it a productive session with Saved configs/loops ready to go in a few seconds.

It also has an elegant MIDI Learn page to assign Bluetooth or MIDI pedals to App buttons like Trigger and Erase.

It's probably wise to make some drum loops if you don't like AUM's metronome. Having the DAW running is a key to starting the loops on the next "One" in 4/4 (it only appears to respect a 4/4 DAW BPM but it does has settings to allow you to make odd meter loops).

Enso is getting a lot of praise for making weirdness with reverses and pitch shifting but it's a great basic looper for practing with yourself or any audio files imported for looping.

My guitar lesson book has dozens of duets I where I'm asked to learn both parts. Now, I can record both parts and always have get to hear the full duet arrangement when I practice an otherwise boring exercise.
    It helps to learn to listen and align with another instance of yourself.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@McD said:

Hit trigger again and it will overdubs a solo for you to listen back to. The pitch doesn't change when you move the BPM/tempo in the DAW up or down. It gets stretched or squashed to maintain a new tempo. (Probably good uses for that to transcribe fast solos too).

Good post, but this part is incorrect. Loopy and other loopers do stretching, but Enso doesn’t.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Rather than overdubbing solos, I think I would put another Enso in front of the one with the backing loop, then record the solo to it instead. That way you can clear the solo loop, mix it up or down, apply FX, etc, without messing with the backing track. And vice versa.

I think Loopy and other tools are more robust as practice and/or recording tools, but there’s something about not having to pre-think the setup that is just very convenient with an AUv3 tool like Enso.

• Some dark ambience made with eight enso’s, seven EsotericSynth and a moog model d
    "")

• @McD said:
    I posted this on another thread but I think it's important for practicing instrumentalists to understand the value of this App for their practice sessions.

Enso is a perfect looper for instrumental practice sessions. You can set up a good guitar rig (for example) on an AUM or AB track and route it through the Enso AUv3 App and record some number of preset measures like a chord progression. It will then drop into "Play Loop" mode to practice solos over the chords.

You can also import any audio files to become the starting loop for a practice session and save any loop for recall later with the session settings as a complete preset.

Since it's an AUv3 you can have the backing loop running in one instance and open a second to record, listen and delete. It's fun to lay down a solo/melody and add a harmonic 2nd line to it. That might be useful for writing arrangements and hearing what works or doesn't.

For extra fun the loops can be played in reverse which keeps the tonal sense going with attack release envelopes you just can't produce naturally. Of course the chord progression is backwards so resolutions aren't happening unless you plan for it.

I like a complex guitar rig so having everything reachable from AUM makes it a productive session with Saved configs/loops ready to go in a few seconds.

It also has an elegant MIDI Learn page to assign Bluetooth or MIDI pedals to App buttons like Trigger and Erase.

It's probably wise to make some drum loops if you don't like AUM's metronome. Having the DAW running is a key to starting the loops on the next "One" in 4/4 (it only appears to respect a 4/4 DAW BPM but it does has settings to allow you to make odd meter loops).

Enso is getting a lot of praise for making weirdness with reverses and pitch shifting but it's a great basic looper for practing with yourself or any audio files imported for looping.

My guitar lesson book has dozens of duets I where I'm asked to learn both parts. Now, I can record both parts and always have get to hear the full duet arrangement when I practice an otherwise boring exercise.

For that s use-case, imo, Loopy +AB3+(optionally)AUM is better. 8 loops. Auto-advance from loop to loop as you record and easily setting a loop's length in measures from the AB palette.

Don't get me wrong, Enso is a great plug-in but for jamming/practicing, Loopy is the bomb.

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:
    I posted this on another thread but I think it's important for practicing instrumentalists to understand the value of this App for their practice sessions.

For that s use-case, imo, Loopy +AB3+(optionally)AUM is better. 8 loops. Auto-advance from loop to loop as you record and easily setting a loop's length in measures from the AB palette.

Don't get me wrong, Enso is a great plug-in but for jamming/practicing, Loopy is the bomb.

Agreed, but there’s also something immediate about just being able to throw in a spot looper super-quick when inspiration strikes. (Or momentary guilt at not practicing more. 😬)

• edited March 2019

I have some issues reloading sessions in Audiobus and AUM with Enso saved loops: they don’t play at right pitch after reload. Someone else with this issue?

On the other end, I was able to run 4 Enso instances, 1 RM Noir and 5 other AU effects in AUM at 64 buffers latency on 7 Plus, impressive and game changer for me.

• edited March 2019

@Janosax said:
    I have some issues reloading sessions in Audiobus and AUM with Enso saved loops: they don’t play at right pitch after reload. Someone else with this issue?

On the other end, I was able to run 4 Enso instances, 1 RM Noir and 5 other AU effects in AUM at 64 buffers latency on 7 Plus, impressive and game changer for me.

Okay, I’ve found what is the issue: song tempo has to be set BEFORE preset loading. Just try to set host tempo to 20 bpm and load one of your project with audio saved in Enso and you should have fun if project bpm is not 20 bpm too. This is because audio is loaded in Enso before tempo is set by host. Quite annoying.

I have also got lot of unresponsive Enso buttons in AUM, more that in AB which has more fixed AU Windows.

But really, 64 buffers latency is playable with multiple Enso, this is so good!!!

I can wait certainly for a fix!! Let’s send a mail to AD now.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

Agreed, but there’s also something immediate about just being able to throw in a spot looper super-quick when inspiration strikes. (Or momentary guilt at not practicing more. 😬)

The main problem I’m finding with Loopy is that you can’t change the input for each loop/track. I have a guitar and two hardware synths plugged into my interface and I can’t assign specific loops to specific inputs. With Enso being AU, I can do this.

• @Janosax said:

@Janosax said:

Okay, I’ve found what is the issue: song tempo has to be set BEFORE preset loading. Just try to set host tempo to 20 bpm and load one of your project with audio saved in Enso and you should have fun if project bpm is not 20 bpm too. This is because audio is loaded in Enso before tempo is set by host. Quite annoying.

I have also got lot of unresponsive Enso buttons in AUM, more that in AB which has more fixed AU Windows.

But really, 64 buffers latency is playable with multiple Enso, this is so good!!!

When I open an AUM project with ENSO instances, the preset that I had (which had buffers saved with them) are not re-loading. Are others experiencing this?

Also, 3 instances of Enso (with only 4 bar loops) is wreaking havoc in Auria Pro (but not AUM) anyone see that?

• I've had a couple full on crashes of AUM using Enso (2 instances - 1 bar and 4 bars - with length set to max). Don't think AUM has ever crashed on me before.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Janosax said:

@Janosax said:

When I open an AUM project with ENSO instances, the preset that I had (which had buffers saved with them) are not re-loading. Are others experiencing this?

Also, 3 instances of Enso (with only 4 bar loops) is wreaking havoc in Auria Pro (but not AUM) anyone see that?

Just heard from the Auria folks. They are getting in touch with Audio Damage.

If other people run into similar issues with other hosts, it might be worth an email to Audio Damage.

• edited March 2019

Such a deep app. Perhaps too deep, at least for me...
    I understand that activating Trigger will toggle between record, then play (as selected by the Post Record), then Overdub.

Is anyone aware of a way to skip the overdub action on the third interaction with the trigger? Like so:
    —cc1 to trigger to record
    —cc1 again to play
    (So far so good, I can do this)
    —cc1 again, say 8 bars later, to record again rather than overdub.
    (Can’t figure about a way to achieve this using the same cc1–using StepPoly ARP, fyi)

Now that I think about it, are there any AUv3 apps that can sequence multiple CC’s, like Modstep but AU

• @zilld2017
    You might need to clear the loop to use Trigger to record again. Or try using the Mode button for Record, instead of the Trigger for the second loop.

I can only get Record on the Trigger if I clear the existing loop. If there is an existing loop, I can only get Overdub on the Trigger.

But the Record Mode button still works without clearing the loop first.

• I have riiged an mfxcovert inside AUM to convert note to cc and using KB-1 keyboard I can send a signal to Enso. Could anyone tell me what I instructions to put into the slots. Trigger then record? What order? I will eventually buy a external midi controller but will still be faced with the same problem. Your help is appreciated. Thanks

• @soundshaper said:
    The main problem I’m finding with Loopy is that you can’t change the input for each loop/track. I have a guitar and two hardware synths plugged into my interface and I can’t assign specific loops to specific inputs. With Enso being AU, I can do this.

Hey, what a cool idea!
    I've found that I can do exactly that in Gadget with my multichannel USB interface :smiley: o:)