Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photon AU is available

Comments

• @brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:
    Apple rejected my build last night so I've resubmitted earlier today

That has been a worrying trend lately. Out of curiosity; was it something unreasonable?

It was my screenshots (metadata) not showing how the app is used.
    I think its more the reviewers not having a clue how to test it - even though I've a 29 page manual explaining it!

I added one more screenshot and just submitted again

Pro-tip: do a 20-second screenrecording, upload it youtube and add it when you submit. It tends to speed up the approval process for music apps :)

This... I got the "Metadata rejected -- please add a short video showing how your app is used" for every AU I submitted so far (even though the "App review notes" field contained a detailed and (just my nature) utterly friendly explanation on how to use it). But I guess it's just "Generation Video" and there's no way back 😏

• @brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

That has been a worrying trend lately. Out of curiosity; was it something unreasonable?

I think its more the reviewers not having a clue how to test it - even though I've a 29 page manual explaining it!

Pro-tip: do a 20-second screenrecording, upload it youtube and add it when you submit. It tends to speed up the approval process for music apps :)

will try that for next submission.
    @SevenSystems yeah no one reads text anymore ;)

• @midiSequencer said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @midiSequencer Lots of great improvements in the latest beta, but do you have an ETA on when state saving with loops saved to pads will arrive?

Its going to be in the next update - along with more improvements in the record->loop.

This update focused on fixing bugs, compressing the UI(files & settings now on side panels), extending number of pads to 6, enable multi-track selection and rounding up track lengths.
    So made sense to release it now.

Great! State saving will turn this app into an every day tool for me. Thx

• @midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

It is crazy how few people read these days. (Very frustrating as a doc writer). Even college professors teaching courses based on a synth can't be bothered to glance at the manual. I've received long emails requesting features covered in the first chapter of the manual.

• @espiegel123 said:

@midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

It is crazy how few people read these days. (Very frustrating as a doc writer). Even college professors teaching courses based on a synth can't be bothered to glance at the manual. I've received long emails requesting features covered in the first chapter of the manual.

The glowing screens are winning.

• Looking forward to the update..

Thanks

• When is the update coming ?

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

@brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

What really drives me up a tree is when someone does an introduction / tutorial video and they clearly didn’t read the manual! It’s been happening a lot lately, even recently by one vlogger much loved around here. Plinking around with an app for several days until one thinks they understand it is no excuse for miscommunicating clearly documented information.

I still appreciate the efforts these people go through for others. Making videos is really time consuming and that time is a gift to us. I just wish there was better preparation sometimes.

[edit]
    (Whoops! Sorry for the wildly OT rant! I wasn’t even paying attention what thread I was in. 😐)

• edited March 2019

Rejected again - screenshot shows standalone version and comment

Specifically, the content was unable to load at the time of review and the app only loaded a manual.

meaning the reviewer doesn't read or know how Audio Units work!

Will take your advice @brambos and do a small video to help them understand what app extensions are!!

• edited March 2019

I don't understand why Apple can't give audio apps to those reviewers who have experience with audio apps. Can't be that hard to organise a system. :)

edit: although I suppose that's the point. They are aiming the experience at the average consumer, so not Pro's. So maybe they don't want reviewers to be too savvy.

• Tell ‘em “It just works”.
    Hahahahaha.

• @CracklePot said:
    Tell ‘em “It just works”.
    Hahahahaha.

"You're reviewing it wrong!" ;)

• I live close enough to Cupertino and have no scruples against taking bribes. Maybe I should apply for an app reviewer job.

• edited March 2019

Update is out..

I like the pre + post options for recording. Really needed the "next bar " option - Thank you. Will continue exploring the new parts.

New Manual

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Nice! This works great now. All the sync problems seem to be ironed out, and the added features are very helpful.

@midiSequencer, I found two small bugs.

• When reducing the number of beats while editing the buffer, hitting Apply doubles the length. Hitting it a second time applies the correct number of beats.
    • Shortening the number of beats on a pad isn’t working properly. With a properly looping 32 beat pad, if I set duration to 16 beats, there is a one bar pause before the pad starts playing again. [edit - actually, only setting it to inf works. Even setting it to 32 beats on a 32 beat bar causes the empty measure to play.]
  • wimwim
    edited March 2019

State saving appears not to be working. Is that one still on the radar?

Thanks again for the nice update.

• Nice update, a lot easier now in workflow and control good stuff thanks @midiSequencer

• Photon works great now with KB-1 for getting quick chords down. I only wish I had a bigger iPad screen than a 9.7. The amount of times I slide the top AU app showing top edge outside the frame and then I can move it can get frustrating. I wish AU apps would let you move them from the holding their bottom frame.

• edited March 2019

@midiSequencer Are the individual pad sends working in the new update as I can only seem to get “Thru” working in AUM at present. May be doing something wrong ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @midiSequencer Are the individual pad sends working in the new update as I can only seem to get “Thru” working in AUM at present. May be doing something wrong ?

I thought that too, but you can select individual out in the right roll out panel, tap the thru button to change settings.

• @Carnbot said:

@Jumpercollins said:

I thought that too, but you can select individual out in the right roll out panel, tap the thru button to change settings.

Cheers @Carnbot got it now was missing pressing that one! All we need now is state saving of midi data and this app is right up there with essential iOS music composition tools.

• Yeah, nice update :) looking forward next to state saving + extra gui etc

• edited March 2019

Nice update.. Thanks for your hard work..

• edited March 2019

thx everyone - This is only the first update - I was at a good point to release it to you all.

Hope you like the 6 pads now! I could do more (Photon on registered 5% cpu with all 6 playing complex midi on an iPad pro) - however it does take a lot of effort for me to add them! So hopefully 6 is fine?

State saving of midi clips is next - leading towards iPhone UI after that

@Jumpercollins in Aum drag the window to the correct size first & you can fit it better. Unfortunately, AU apps cannot get the host to change the size of their windows.

@wim, will check out those pesky bugs!

• I'm open for new ideas on pre/post recording - this is just basic at the moment to get the record->autoplay working
    e.g. another post option to stay in record mode to overdub?

• edited March 2019

@midiSequencer Done a quick video using the update. Hope you can add State Saving that would be the cream on top.

• edited March 2019

@midiSequencer said:
    I'm open for new ideas on pre/post recording - this is just basic at the moment to get the record->autoplay working
    e.g. another post option to stay in record mode to overdub?

Record options to overdub (add layers) vs replace recorded midi. Maybe undo/redo those layers? Midi control of all this would allow punch in/out etc from midi controller. Map replace to a momentary foot switch and you could punch in quick snippets only when switch is held down.

Edit: some way to override midi channel selection for pad output for midi files that only use a single midi channel to begin with.

• What happened to the UI that @audiblevideo did? No offense but I was really looking forward to that option. Looks like a cleaner, easier to grasp layout for me.

• @_mwallace said:
    What happened to the UI that @audiblevideo did? No offense but I was really looking forward to that option. Looks like a cleaner, easier to grasp layout for me.

+1

• edited March 2019

@_mwallace said:
    What happened to the UI that @audiblevideo did? No offense but I was really looking forward to that option. Looks like a cleaner, easier to grasp layout for me.

+1

I mean, seriously?!

At least the original layout kind of fit into an AU window.

This new layout is extremely aggravating to work with. It doesn’t fit into the default AU window well at all, then I spend time moving, resizing, sliding over, etc. just to see the freakin controls.

Sorry, as much as I like the idea of this app and most of its functionality... and as much as I appreciate the continued development, etc. this interface is woefully in need of some work.