Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wanna help the devs out. Which app/software designs do you like/dislike?

edited December 2013 in General App Discussion

Hey all, I thought us non-devs could help the devs out by letting them know which app/software designs we like so that they dont let their masterpiece of an app go unnoticed due to a crappy look.

So here are some fave ones I like:

Audiobus - It's clean and not cluttered. Easy to understand and gets straight to the point

Ableton - Yeah it's not an app but i like the layout.

Electrify NXT - I could be biased as it's based somewhat on Ableton but i dig it.

Traktor DJ - I like seeing the waveform and the exact beat loop lines. Vs say Djay where yes it does look like two turntables but on an iphone, it's small and not as easy to navigate as traktor

Guitarism - Really like original and current design.

Auria - I'm only mentioning Auria to illustrate a point. I love Auria overall but for everything EXCEPT it's artistic quality (sorry Rim) If this wasn't such a great, powerful app, I'd have given up on it as it's just like Pro Tools where it just copies a mixing board.

Comments

• mmpmmp
    edited December 2013

Me, I like Skueomorphism. I love rich textures, highlights and photorealistic surfaces. iMini and Amplitube are good examples. If the app emulates a real-world instrument, I prefer to see something that resembles that instrument in some way...even if it turns out to be a saxophone with strings! (iFretless Sax)

But, sometimes... let's just say Midimorphosis and Caustic3 would have been better looking without the fake knobs, wood and glass...

To me, flat, minimalist surfaces are boring. Having said that, in some apps such GUIs are more appropriate and functional. Gestrument, Thumbjam and SoundPrism come to mind, SAMPLR and the Gregor Vasiliev apps too, the latter have a very nice default colour scheme. As it happens, although I do like the app, I don't like the look of Chordion.
    My favourites in this category are the FabFilter (Auria-) plugins though.

• I like Sunrizer, it does exactly what it looks like it does. Magellan isn't bad either. Most synths I have an idea what to expect based on my experience with hardware, so they either provide what I'm looking for or they don't get used much.
    Geo Synth is a non skeuomorphic design that I do like, in spite of finding most of them pretty dull.
    With other instruments, such as guitars, etc., it's more about ergonomics, can I play it without too much of a struggle?

• Cubasis and Nanostudio spring to mind as they're both intuitive, well laid out and a breeze to use.

Almost everything couldn't be in a better place on the screen and all controls are one or two touches away, very ergonomic.

Apollo for its simplicity and the 'it just works factor', simple screens with easy instructions making such a complex task seem so simple and obvious to do.

NXT is on a similar par with Cubasis & Nanostudio in terms of logical paths and a few simple touches to get what you want albeit a work in progress.

Jliljedahl's apps are all simple to use and logically laid out.

Tabletop is cool too with the modular, logical layout and simplicity of connecting apps, just a shame it's a relatively closed system.

• Think it would be more helpful for developers to call out components or interactions within apps that you like. MIDI IO screen, Keyboard transpose/scale, settings screen, presets...

• I like it when a synth app has unlimited user preset slots and the ability to initialise a patch as a menu option instead of, say, 96 default presets that, once used up, you're screwed. In other words, Thor's user preset system is perfect compared to n-log pro's user preset system. N-log Pro's user preset system is the sole reason it collects virtual dust on my iPad. I can't stand limitations when there's no excuse to limit how many presets I should be able to store.

• I really Samplr's layout and the help system is nicely though out. Flail also a unique gui which I pretty much like. It's definitely a synth designed for the phone in mind and I think it reaches it's goal too. Nxt's great also. Jasuto is another one with an unique gui design. Very well though out for a modular synth.

• Samplr's help/tutorial is indeed great.

• Audiobus straightforward and clear.

AudioShare all of the functionality for the app is on one screen.

Animoog you can easily see what you're doing from the main screen and the keyboard is playable.

TC-11 very nice looking interface that gives you good feedback about what you're playing.

Guitarism simple straight forward way to emulate playing a guitar.

iFretless Guitar good emulation of playing a guitar including bends.

Geo Synth very playable interface with flexibility to setup different scales and bends.

Thumbjam simple yet powerful interface that takes advantage of iOS device sensors.

SoundPrism Pro clear useful interface where form fits function.

AUFX:Dub and other AUFX apps as everything is on one screen, you can easily see automation of the apps parameters and switch between presets.

• Impossible to compare apps like AudioShare (must have) and one DAW, that needs a lot of aux screens.

• edited January 2014

I do not care what it looks like, I am how ever much more focused on what it does and how it does it. If you develop an app that resembles a dog turd yet works really well for music creation then I want it!

• I'm only interested in the looks from a usability perspective. All the fluff that gets added beyond that doesn't appeal to me. Keep it simple and intuitive.

• These are some of the basic principles can always be seen on the apps that are the most usable:

1. keep in mind that we have big fingers on a tiny screen. Don't expect us to be able to press tiny little buttons or manipulate tiny dials
    2. keep those taps to a minimum to achieve common/simple tasks. Bm2, I'm talking to you here. Clipboard paste should be 1 action :-)
    3. as we are starting to switch more between apps in our workflow, start up times are important. As pretty as it is, I wish I could disable Nave's start-up animation
    4. my fingers aren't a mouse pointer. I can multi-touch. Use it. Cubasis editor nails this
    5. if the app needs a piano keyboard, make it resizable. Even better, allow us to set the key.
    6. for apps that take audio input (guitar amps), allow us to see the level and set the gain
    7. have a proper midi implementation
    8. implement audiobus and clipboard properly and fully. In and out
    9. allow us to tag, categorize and favorite presets. Flat lists don't work
    10. allow us folders for projects. A flat list of >50 projects is hard to navigate
    11. a decent user guide is great. A good youtube tutorial is even better

Any I missed?

• I'll add that iTunes is not the best way to get samples, audio, presets, etc. into an app. We have the cloud, Dropbox, Audioshare, Open in, etc. don't tie us back to the desktop!

• edited January 2014

Samplr is my all time favorite app interface. Other favorites below are based on aesthetics and useability:

Thor,
    Figure,
    TC-11,
    Animoog,
    Impaktor,
    Audiobus,
    Midi Designer,
    Logic Remote,
    MidiMe,
    Teuna,
    Borderlands,
    Musyc Pro,
    Loopy HD,
    Turnado,
    Thumbjam,
    Touchable

I wish Chordroid's interface was a little more intuitive cause I feel like its on the verge of greatness.

Interfaces I dislike a lot:
    Rock Shop,
    MINT.io,
    Riff Machine,

I think the interface for Wolfgang Palm's apps is definitely functional and laid out well but I really detest the overall look and shading. I can barely stand to open them up as a result.

I Like the interfaces of Wizdom Music apps, but not the rainbowy choice of colors. Aesthetically ugly and distracting.

• Samplr rules in so many ways, but the sample library is a mess. Gimme some folders please!

+1 @funjunkie27. Open ins to Audioshare/Auria/what have you make the workflow that much better.