Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iConnectAudio2+ issues/limitations

edited January 2019 in Other

I've just bought an ICA2+ new for a good 159 € price.

I've made those observations after one hour using it:

I use Windows 10/Lenovo T440P laptop with Ableton Live 10. I've installed asio driver and Auracle, made latest firmware update. iPhone 7 Plus is also connected to ICA2+.

• I can't direct monitor both laptop and 7 Plus at the same time, I have to choose between USB 1 and USB 2 devices in Auracle. I have to monitor iPhone though Ableton via ICA2+ inputs 5/6. Added latency.
  • iPhone 7 Plus is only able to use 1/2 audio output routed to Ableton 5/6 inputs. That seems not possible to route multiple audio fluxes...
  • Ableton is not able to use multiple physical outputs, as Auracle manual said... I don’t know, seems related to 5.1 not supported yet...
  • iConfig don't works, even after Auracle uninstall: device not found.
  • Midi works with no issues!!
  • Phones preamp is weak, I'm not sure I can record my sax properly without a separate HP preamp for more audio volume.
  • Sound quality is passable, my iRig Pro IO has much dynamic and pristine sound.
  • Audio recordings from AUM/Rozeta in Ableton are not sample accurate, offsets here and there.
  • Nice build quality.

Ok, for now not super happy with the purchase. I need real multiple physical outputs available even when using two devices, real direct monitoriring for two devices, multi audio streaming between them too.

What am I doing wrong?????? Or perhaps I didn't understand the product capabilities???

Comments

• edited January 2019

the most suspective note:
    'Sound quality is passable, my iRig Pro IO has much dynamic sound and pristine sound...'
    If this is the case, then something is wrong, either in setup levels or the device doesn't clock properly - possibly 'confused' by the host(s) system(s).
    The drifting recording results you mention also point to clock problems.

Unfortunately I don't have Win-10 and Auracle - I only use the classic control panel of the iCA4+ under OSX and IOS 9. Not shure if you can use it in later IOS versions.
    (I absolutely need the free routing capability of the interface)

To narrow problems down you should start with only one OS, preferably Win-10 as it provides the most detailed control features.
    You'll need it anyway and the Win setup is the more complex one.
    Without clean input/output and regular recording results under ASIO there is no point to continue with trial and error or make setup more complex with the double host feature.

ps: it's important to make yourself familiar with the iCA's virtual channels, which you'll use later to route between the 2 operating systems.

• Did you install also the Windows system driver from iConnectivity (apart from the Asio driver and Auracle)? As you know, Auracle is still beta-software and from what I've read on the iConnectivity forum not many people are happy with it... So you need iConfig (not maintained, but stil available - and better than Auracle) for the setup that you want. If you installed the Windows driver, I suggest you post a support ticket on https://www.iconnectivity.com/support.

• Iconfig does work on iOS (sometimes) I often have to load it about 6/7 times to get it to work.
    Shame they don't update it though.

I've not used iCA2+ only 4+ but confident you should be able to get iconfig working. It's working ok in Win10 for me with the occasional gui problem on the mixer panels.

• Yep, use iConfig.

• edited January 2019

Ok I’ll try again to install iConfig, and will contact their support if need.

About sound quality, it’s passable, not mediocre, nor incredibly good. There are no issues, distortion or crackles at all. I suppose it’s also partially subjective, even if it’s measurable. Even on their website, they say they don’t use best of the best AD/DA, which makes sense regarding the price. Perhaps overall impression is related to HP preamp, which really is not powerful. I use 32 Ohms HP and iems. I had for a few days an iRig pre HD I didn’t kept because of weak HP preamp too. When you monitor an acoustic instrument like a tenor sax, you need important monitoring volume. IRig pro IO has tons, and sounds great. Here are what I use(d) and how I evaluate their sound quality:

Hoontech 24/96 : 6/10
    M-Audio Transit : 7/10
    Esi 192X : 9/10
    IRig Pro IO : 8/10
    IRig pre HD : 7/10
    Lenovo t440p internal audio : 5/10
    Behringer uca222 : 5/10
    ICA2+ : 7/10

Just my ears and opinion.

Clock seems to work as it should, but I’ll check that again. Little offsets are of the same kind those you get when you record audio in Blocswave, change tempo, and use flatten feature. It’s not tight. I will show screenshots, I have to take a bit of time to do that, priority is to make iConfig working.

Thanks for help and advices ;)

• @Carnbot said:
    Iconfig does work on iOS (sometimes) I often have to load it about 6/7 times to get it to work.
    Shame they don't update it though.

I've not used iCA2+ only 4+ but confident you should be able to get iconfig working. It's working ok in Win10 for me with the occasional gui problem on the mixer panels.

Same here.

• Note that there is no iConfig for iPhone. Auracle looks like Realtek panel honestly, weird that they don't update iConfig anymore as it's a profesionnal product.

• I have the ICA2+...don't really have any issues with it aside from it not always retaining its presets. But that isn't that big of a deal. Auracle is a joke. Def use Iconfig.

I had a quick iconfig question regarding the Midi channel routing...It looks like the default setting is to reroute ALL the midi channels to channel one. Am I reading that correctly? Seems absurd. I went through all the USB channels and changed the routing to the correlating channel.