Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Volca Drum curiosities...

I really love the sound of this little thing. Am curious if there is a gadget in Gadget that is similar. In particular I love how the wave guide alters the sounds... Super rich sounding. Or is there another IOS app that can offer similar physical modeled crisp sounds like this?

Comments

• I'd highly recommend Korg iElectribe. Very much in the same ballpark, based on the hardware Electribe ER-1. Doesn't have a waveguide, but it has a sequenceable FX section, 4 drum synth parts plus 4 PCM sample parts. I think it was Korg's very first ios app and still great fun to use.

And i'll be parting with some cash when the Volca Drum lands. I love Volcas, i love drum synths... match made in heaven!!

• This is pretty awesome. I don't really have anything that makes these sounds, not even the iElectribe, I don't think. You can kind of get something like this in Elastic Drums? Maybe?
    Do Volcas sync up nicely with iOS or desktop daws?

• Thanks @ExAsperis99 and @apapdop , great tips! They both get pretty close to the sound! I had the idea to add the Objeq Delay resonator (since it adds a similar type of physically modeled resonance) to Elastic Drums and iElectribe and that even puts them even closer to what I'm looking for.

• @gkillmaster said:
    Thanks @ExAsperis99 and @apapdop , great tips! They both get pretty close to the sound! I had the idea to add the Objeq Delay resonator (since it adds a similar type of physically modeled resonance) to Elastic Drums and iElectribe and that even puts them even closer to what I'm looking for.

Wave Guide is basically a delay unit as a send/return fx - you can send audio to it from multiple parts. It can be used as regular delay, or with short delay time it becomes a resonator. Tune=Delay time, Decay=Feedback, Body=Feedback filter. The 2 Wave Guide algos are probably +/- Feedback.
    You can get the same result using any delay that can go really short and has filter.
    Kosmonaut, RP-1, Dubstation 2 will all work fine.
    Or you can use the Resonator section from Shaper.
    Objeq should be quite similar as well.

• Also IceGear synths can get in the same ballpark.

• What about running just about any drum-synth thru Objeq?

• @Samu said:
    What about running just about any drum-synth thru Objeq?

yeh, thanks, was trying that and it gets mighty close! Wish Objeq had the string resonator like the desktop version does...

• @recccp said:
    Also IceGear synths can get in the same ballpark.

great! going to give them a try, thanks...

• @recccp said:

@gkillmaster said:
    Thanks @ExAsperis99 and @apapdop , great tips! They both get pretty close to the sound! I had the idea to add the Objeq Delay resonator (since it adds a similar type of physically modeled resonance) to Elastic Drums and iElectribe and that even puts them even closer to what I'm looking for.

Wave Guide is basically a delay unit as a send/return fx - you can send audio to it from multiple parts. It can be used as regular delay, or with short delay time it becomes a resonator. Tune=Delay time, Decay=Feedback, Body=Feedback filter. The 2 Wave Guide algos are probably +/- Feedback.
    You can get the same result using any delay that can go really short and has filter.
    Kosmonaut, RP-1, Dubstation 2 will all work fine.
    Or you can use the Resonator section from Shaper.
    Objeq should be quite similar as well.

I appreciate this info! Am going to try and recreate the sound. Something about the waveguide on the Volca seems a little different but maybe I can automate one of these parameters and get the same sound... Good to know about the Shaper resonator. I didn't realize it had one...

• @Samu said:
    What about running just about any drum-synth thru Objeq?

Wait, why don't I own Objeq? Is there some problem with it? Madness!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Wait, why don't I own Objeq? Is there some problem with it? Madness!

No problems as far as I've noticed. It's a very solid AUv3 that sits nicely in the FX slot on any track.
    Try running Axon 2 from Audio Damage thru ObjeQ ;)

• WOW!!! Its incredible what I'm able to get by bringing Elastic Drums into Bitwig and using Objeq Delay on it! OMG! Very similar to the Volca Drum but with extra control. Crazy and great! Thanks for all the tips everyone!

• A pedantic correction, the Wave Guide is not a delay, it's a Resonator. They are different things. It drove me absolutely nuts when Cuckoo called it a delay (on the whole, his demo of the Volca Drum was awful).

As mentioned prior in this thread, the IceGear synths have resonators (unfortunately can't send an external signal through 'em), so with sound design, you could potentially get similar results (esp. with Lorentz, which I believe has a noise oscillator). Objeq is a Resonator (cool one at that).

Surprised no one's mentioned Impaktor. It's very similar to the Volca Drum (in some ways better) in synth engine makup.