Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording guitar on ios

Can you record a dry track while also using something like Bias fx for re amping later? I just downloaded Audio Evolution on iPhone and wondering if I put bias or something on the inserts of the track will it only record the output of bias or will it record dry?

Comments

• I don't remember how audio evolution does it as far as options, but I know in auria you can choose to record the effects or record dry by long pressing the record enable button (I think that's the action, it's been a while)

• AEM records dry, so yes, you can modify FX after recording.

• Ok so by fx do you mean audio units only or iaa as well?

• One thing that, if true, could be a big issue is monitoring. AEM has “software monitoring” as an option so that you can hear incoming synths and apps. But it seems to not allow monitoring from an audio interface. I started with the iPad mic, but you would expect monitoring to be disabled there to avoid feedback. But then I tried with my iRig Pro and could not get any kind of monitoring going.

That’s a deal breaker for me unless I’m missing something.

• Yeah that would not work for me either yikes. They should let you try this shit before you buy it

• In AUM you can assign one track to be your guitar monitor. You can then create and assign a second track and patch in your effects on that channel. If you want to get really weird with it, you can just use one channel as your dry input and route out sends to whichever modeler you want. This would allow you (iPad system resources allowing) you to record not just the dry and wet tracks, but potentially multiple wet tracks.

• @boone51 said:
    In AUM you can assign one track to be your guitar monitor. You can then create and assign a second track and patch in your effects on that channel. If you want to get really weird with it, you can just use one channel as your dry input and route out sends to whichever modeler you want. This would allow you (iPad system resources allowing) you to record not just the dry and wet tracks, but potentially multiple wet tracks.

Very true. I’ve done that before and it’s neat. But what do you do? Record it in aum and then copy and paste it to a daw to work with. That’s not a fun workflow at all really

• edited January 2019

I’m not sure I follow what you’re looking for, then. If you want to record multiple tracks of your guitar, both wet and dry, that’s going to obviously mean you want to work with that audio later on. How is recording into multiple tracks, whether directly in an DAW like Auria, or simultaneously in a work horse app like AUM, more difficult than this Pangea you seem to have in mind. Most DAWs, iPad or Mac, or pc, will all function pretty similarly when you’re talking about this scenario I thought you were asking about.

• edited January 2019

What I guess I should have said is...any daw, or app that can accept your guitar as an input, and allows for multiple tracks, should support the functionality you asked about. I don’t own the app you asked about originally, but in theory, any app that supports input and multiple tracks can do what you’re asking for.

Simply create a dry track with your guitar as the source, and then a second (or third or fourth etc) track with that same input as the source and adding in the effects you want, guitar cab modelers, whatever you want. Each track should be independently recordable. While I don’t own the app you’re asking about, I would consider it useless if it doesn’t allow multi track recording like I’m talking about.

• I guess I’m confusing it. Let me explain more clearly, when I record in reaper on pc with plugins reaper only records the di input from the interface. I am able to monitor the plugins but all that is recorded is the dry track. The fx are only applied when bouncing the track that way fx can be changed during production.

I would not be recording multiple tracks at the same time, but I would like to have a rhythm section recorded and then a bass section and then a lead section and play them all back while I’m recording the next track like a daw on pc

• Ah, thank you, that makes more sense now. So, give me a sec because this is kind of complicated.

• You’ll have to route your processed tracks through another channel and record that. Any IAA or AU effects are not going to “render” unless you arm another track, route the processed audio through that track, and record that as just plain audio. I’ve done this, and when I did I always made sure to mute the processed recording track otherwise you get tripped up by the inherent latency.

• I just read my comment back, and it even confused me. Do you follow what I’m saying at all?

• Auria, like Reaper, records a dry signal. The effects come after in the chain, and can be messed about afterwards to your hearts content.

• +1 for Auria. It records dry signal even if you insert Bias as IAA plugin within Auria. And you could change all your sounds settings after.

• @Briandandrig said:
    I guess I’m confusing it. Let me explain more clearly, when I record in reaper on pc with plugins reaper only records the di input from the interface. I am able to monitor the plugins but all that is recorded is the dry track. The fx are only applied when bouncing the track that way fx can be changed during production.

That's exactly how Audio Evolution works too.
    From https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17106/audio-evolution-mobile-daw#latest

@dwrae said:

@Briandandrig said:
    Question on this app. Using inserts on a track I.e Bias fx. Will audio evolution record only dry signal or will it record output of insert?

It will always record the clean input. If you want the 'wet' signal, you can always render the track to a file.

@Briandandrig said:
    I would not be recording multiple tracks at the same time, but I would like to have a rhythm section recorded and then a bass section and then a lead section and play them all back while I’m recording the next track like a daw on pc

No problem, you can do that in AEM as well.

• @Briandandrig , you can work around the monitoring problem in AEM using AudioBus.

Host AEM in an AudioBus output position, and your guitar in the input position. Turn on Software Monitoring in the AEM preferences. You will be able to monitor since the sound is coming through software.

In theory you should also be able to host AUM in an instrument track in AEM, then set the input to your guitar, and the output to IAA/Audiobus > AEM inside AUM. But I couldn’t get that to work.

• On reaper and auria you can record the plugins to the track as you play live if you so choose.

As an aside, @Briandandrig, your username looks like it says "Brian and irig," which I always thought was because you are a guitarist and figured you loved IK hardware. I just looked more closely at it and realized that's not what it says.... :D

• @mrufino1 said:
    On reaper and auria you can record the plugins to the track as you play live if you so choose.

As an aside, @Briandandrig, your username looks like it says "Brian and irig," which I always thought was because you are a guitarist and figured you loved IK hardware. I just looked more closely at it and realized that's not what it says.... :D

Ha funny! That’s because when I first got into this digital stuff I had an android phone and wanted to use that for guitar sounds. Dropped it for iOS years ago now.

• @Briandandrig said:
    I guess I’m confusing it. Let me explain more clearly, when I record in reaper on pc with plugins reaper only records the di input from the interface. I am able to monitor the plugins but all that is recorded is the dry track. The fx are only applied when bouncing the track that way fx can be changed during production.

I don’t have AEM, but the biggest issue you’ll run into is using IAA “There can be only One”
    So unlike reaper with multiple instances of VST, or AUv3 on iOS, only one of your direct tracks can have Bias on it.
    So I’m with you on the recording straight to daw workflow - but it seems (assuming you are a Bias fan) you might want to set up in AUM. One channel with the guitar input routed to Audiobus 1 output with a bus send to a second channel that has Bias loaded and routed to AB 2 output.
    Then in your daw arm two tracks, set to each AB input and record the clean and processed simultaneously. Just keeping adding pairs for each sound you want. Other wise you’ll have to bounce the clean track every time you want a new Bias patch.
    So at least you’ll have the clean tracks later if you need to tweak... albeit one at a time

Pain, but IAA is what it is.....