Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI 2.0 is coming

https://midi.org/articles-old/the-midi-manufacturers-association-mma-and-the-association-of-music-electronics-industry-amei-announce-midi-2-0tm-prototyping

I have so much "technical debt" already. If an App doesn't support MIDI 2.0 I'm just not going to buy it. Unless of course, it's from Korg then standards be damned... it sounds so good.

Comments

• "auto-configuration" sounds good. I wonder what it means..

• @Carnbot said:
    "auto-configuration" sounds good. I wonder what it means..

There are clues in the specs around the CI mechanisms:

MIDI Capability Inquiry (MIDI-CI) is a mechanism to allow us to expand MIDI with new features while protecting backward compatibility with MIDI devices that do not understand these newly defined features.

MIDI-CI separates older MIDI products from newer products with new capabilities and provides a mechanism for two MIDI devices to understand what new capabilities are supported.

MIDI-CI assumes and requires bidirectional communication. Once a MIDI-CI connection is established between devices, query and response messages define what capabilities each device has.

MIDI-CI then negotiates or auto-configures to use those features that are common between the devices. MIDI-CI provides test mechanisms when enabling new features. If a test fails, then devices fall back to using MIDI 1.0 for that feature. MIDI-CI improves MIDI capabilities in several key areas.

MIDI-CI allows devices to use an expanded MIDI protocol with high resolution and multiple per note controllers. It allows for incremental adoption of new MIDI features by providing a fallback to MIDI 1.0 devices in all cases.

MIDI-CI Includes Queries for 3 major areas of expanded MIDI functionality:

1. Protocol Negotiation

2. Profile Configuration

3. Property Exchange

• Baked into macOS Catalina now in Audio MIDI Setup... anyone know of any hardware that's planning (or already has support)? Or any Apps with support? Hoping something might come out of ADC.

• edited October 2019

It's great to see new standardization efforts but from experience with classic MIDI, I suppose that the new standard won't change how much many manufacturers care about standards.
    What is suggested could generally also be realized by means of SysEx messages, even non-standard midi messages (e.g. using a SysEx-enabled customized mode switch) could be exchanged with today's MIDI protocol but in reality, most manufacturers don't even care about more advanced MIDI communication as long as people still buy controllers with parameter-jumping "blind" pots instead of endless dials with LED rings etc. (just one example)