Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do iOS synths sound 'duller' compared to desktop VTS's?

13»

Comments

• @Cib said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@Cib said:
    He has a similar style and ear for great details as Kevin, so that might fits to my likings anyway.
    So yeah, most synths can sound awesome on both platforms in the right hands. On iOS it just lacks more better tools in some areas but in general we live in great times.

BB will do sounds for SM1 as well, just sayin :)

Nice to hear.....but yeah....there is no iPhone version so i´m out for now.

Hopefuly at NAMM 2019 we'll show that to the world :)

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@Cib said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@Cib said:
    He has a similar style and ear for great details as Kevin, so that might fits to my likings anyway.
    So yeah, most synths can sound awesome on both platforms in the right hands. On iOS it just lacks more better tools in some areas but in general we live in great times.

BB will do sounds for SM1 as well, just sayin :)

Nice to hear.....but yeah....there is no iPhone version so i´m out for now.

Hopefuly at NAMM 2019 we'll show that to the world :)

:) :) :) But i also must say that Synthmaster One offers things which sets it apart from most other iOS synths.
    That is the combination of very complex sounding presets with good FX which can be modulated as part of a preset and it offers microtuning.

• @SlowwFloww said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @Multicellular
    Haha. There was a German dance group called Vengaboys back in the day whose music pretty much entirely consisted of Init patches and the hugely complex lyrics "Up and Down", I think they were #1 everywhere with every song :D

hey hey, Vengaboys is from The Netherlands :)

Damn, sorry for that! :D

• edited December 2018

As far as dull goes, i find this more with effects in ios. I’ve been comparing running ios synths through ios effect apps and hardware effect pedals, the difference is quite noticable;
    hardware being much wider and more dimensional.

• @Telefunky said:

@BitterGums said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

The only difference between the platforms would be caused by compilers, because we run identical code on windows, macos and ios (and hopefuly android next year!)

Interesting. Care to elaborate on the nature of compilers for us dolts that don't have a solid grasp on coding and app dev ..etc?

That's just an abreviation - audio processing is about getting a smooth result from a source that isn't smooth at all by nature. It's a sequence of individual numbers while the original was the continous change of an electrical current (microphone, guitar pickup, analog synth output).

The math rules are rather complex and put a very high load on (regular) CPUs, which were designed to process business numbers and letters in the 1st place. Even more important: time doesn't matter to calculate a balance or statistic or print a picture.
    If you want digital audio to happen 'immediately' (what we're used to today), there's little time for highly demanding calculations.

There are several approaches to solve this:
    you can code by yourself in a very smart way (difficult)
    the compiler (a program that translates written instructions into machine code) has special routines for these tasks, often called DSP extensions
    you use dedicated DSP processors, chips that are specialized on the math required
    (that was the original approach in Pro Tools, many hardware synths and fx units - and is currently the core feature of UAD devices)

Since each type of CPU/DSP features a different implementation of math rules, there can be differences in the output results - from subtle to tremendous.
    As all these approaches aren't exclusive and can be mixed there's quite some variation.

Awesome. Very well explained. I'm constantly in awe of the fact that any of this that starts as code can end up as an audio signal. Pretty impressive.