Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StompBox is on the bus...

Comments

• How are you getting on using this?

I bought this a long time and have always found it unusable -at least through headphones.

I use an iRig and the noise I get on most the patches is unbearable.

Even with the volume fairly low a patch change can bring the most horrific noise.

The low volumes are also so low I can hear the guitar over the headphone output.
    This is my experience on both an iPad 1 and 4.

Am I doing something wrong? Would be nice to use with audiobus.

• @Andrew I haven't tried StompBox but my hunch is it might be the iRig. I also have an iRig and it's completely unusable on iPad 3rd gen with headphones. It's weird cause if you run it through speakers it works fine(fine is a relative term). It also works fine on iPhone with headphones and with speakers. It's my experience that iRig is pretty awful and most problems are solved by buying a digital audio input device of some kind.

• edited January 2013

I cannot say enough good things about the Apogee Jam. It took me a long time to bite the bullet and get it. I tried the iRig for about two weeks before I realized it was not ever going to get me where i wanted to be. Then i went out and bought the AmpLink from Peavey. It was better than the iRig imo, but eventually the bleed through on heavy guitar tracks was just unbearable. (At this point I had already spent almost as much as the Jam would have cost me - typical scenario for me - try to save money, spend more and get awful results). I broke down and bought the Apogee Jam, and wow... maybe it was just a reaction from those not-so-great experiences, but I was blown away. The gain control is really great too. Signal in is now digital so of course it's perfect. No more feedback/gain/bleed problems. Its a different world. If you want to play much guitar on the iPad I would highly recommend this device. I also run a mic through it and get pretty good results too. My recommendation: Do it. You won't regret it.

• Thanks for your comments folks. The feedback I've read about the iRig is pretty much as you've described. I have used the iRig very satisfactorily though with GarageBand and now with Jamup pro so there certainly seems to be something specific about Stompbox.

I looked into the Apogee Jam but I understand its a 30pin only device? Today though went and bought a Sonuus i2m musicport as I my eyes were turned by the midi functions.

• Typical just spotted this.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sonuus-g2m-universal-guitar/id591049523?mt=8
    Even with iRig it's quite fun...

• @Andrew I believe that JamUp and Garageband both have built in feedback control. Not 100% on that, Ampkit for sure has it. Maybe that's the difference? Or noise filter?

• edited January 2013

Well, they should know exactly what audio they're emitting, perhaps they invert the phase of that and use it to cancel out what is leaking into the input.

• What you say Ryan makes sense to me however why the developers of Stompbox would not do that as well is less clear. Also if it is the iRig at fault, why promote compatibility as Stompbox does?

PaulB, I am not clever enough to understand what is achievable regarding audio output vs input cancellation at all. I appreciate (to bring it back to audiobus) the advice above though, as I am keen to get a set up that I don't need to spend time tweaking each time I load it up. Through the dock seems to be the way forward...

• The Apogee Jam works fine with the 30pin to Lightning adaptor, for the record.

• Just trying to work out why Stompbox isn't also an input app...

• @PaulB I am not aware why either. In fact it i am getting a "hum" when I use stompbox through Audiobus when I try to add MT DAW or Loopy as outputs. Going to email as there's a few problems unfortunately.

Don't have "hum" problems with Jamup which has is an input app.

• edited July 2014

Hey there, I've been using StompBox with AudioBus for quite awhile with no problems. I just recently realized that if I try and change settings or turn on/off effects, then StompBox crashes. If I don't touch anything, it seems to be ok, except for some small random audio glitches. Not really sure if this a bug with AudioBus or with StompBox. I tried deleting AudioBus and reinstalling, didn't help. I have the latest versions of both. Anyone else have this problem, or contrastingly have NO problems running Stombox in AudioBus? For clarification, I'm running StompBox in the "effects" slot of AudioBus.

• really? I guess I'll have to try deleting and reinstalling StompBox.... it's a bit of a hassle though since I need to write down lots of settings... I'll update with results