Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dendy said:
    @MonzoPro
    Currently best iPad ypu can buy is iPad model 2018.. 32 MB version costs 350€ ... new Pros are totaly not worth the price, especially for music, because DAW is running just on single core anyway ...

iPad 2018 has A10 cpu with single core geegbench score 3500 ... cheapest 2018 pro (11") costs 880€ and single core score is 4900 ..

bonus is that iPad 2018 has lightning and audio jack. Best ipad for music.

32gb would be too small, shame they don’t do a 64. 128gb is just over £400 though, which isn’t too bad.

I’ll have to see how it compares with the Air 2, can’t really afford it at the moment though.

Does the Apple Pencil work ok with it? That’d be handy.

I'd recommend that you try the Apple Pencil first - borrow one from somebody if possible - I did that and found that it really didn't click with me - I felt there's no need for it, my fingers work just fine for tweaking a synth knob or a fader.

I've had the 2018 model ipad for almost a year now and no regrets whatsoever. It's been very solid.

Ah ok thanks. I do a bit of graphic stuff too, so the Pencil would be good for that - but I’ll try it out first as you suggest.

Haven’t really got the budget for a new iPad at the mo, but the Air 2 has been a bit wobbly the last month or so, so I might have to bite the bullet and talk nicely to the Mrs.

I replaced my Air 1 with a standard 2018 and pencil earlier in the year. Only went for the 32Gb and haven't really stressed out about that decision. Runs nicely too. Give me a shout if you want me to see how many of X run on Y, assuming I have it..

Ooh yeah that’d be useful.

Have you got Aparillo? If you have, how many instances can you run in either AUM or ApeMatrix?

That’s a good comparison for me. I can get away with 3, but it gets a bit crackly and jerky with some patches.

Yeah, couldn't resist Aparillo when it dropped.

Had a quick try for you.

So, in AUM, I started up 6 Unreliable Anthonys feeding 6 Aparillos all routed through Mix Bus A and applied a limiter to keep the levels a bit clean. Didn't have a single glitch, the UI is running smoothly and CPU is hovering around 50%.

It's not the way I normally work but after selecting a few different presets and changing the Anthonys to generate different rhythms, it cooks up quite a magnificent orchestral racket.

If I could figure out a way to record and sequence the channels fading in and out that could spark off a whole new direction. v. nice.

Will push it a bit further later, when I get some more work out the way.

Oh and the pencil, 1st gen, is really quite something for drawing with. These things are always a compromise but nonetheless..

• @Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dendy said:
    @MonzoPro
    Currently best iPad ypu can buy is iPad model 2018.. 32 MB version costs 350€ ... new Pros are totaly not worth the price, especially for music, because DAW is running just on single core anyway ...

iPad 2018 has A10 cpu with single core geegbench score 3500 ... cheapest 2018 pro (11") costs 880€ and single core score is 4900 ..

32gb would be too small, shame they don’t do a 64. 128gb is just over £400 though, which isn’t too bad.

I’ll have to see how it compares with the Air 2, can’t really afford it at the moment though.

I'd recommend that you try the Apple Pencil first - borrow one from somebody if possible - I did that and found that it really didn't click with me - I felt there's no need for it, my fingers work just fine for tweaking a synth knob or a fader.

I've had the 2018 model ipad for almost a year now and no regrets whatsoever. It's been very solid.

Ah ok thanks. I do a bit of graphic stuff too, so the Pencil would be good for that - but I’ll try it out first as you suggest.

Haven’t really got the budget for a new iPad at the mo, but the Air 2 has been a bit wobbly the last month or so, so I might have to bite the bullet and talk nicely to the Mrs.

I replaced my Air 1 with a standard 2018 and pencil earlier in the year. Only went for the 32Gb and haven't really stressed out about that decision. Runs nicely too. Give me a shout if you want me to see how many of X run on Y, assuming I have it..

Have you got Aparillo? If you have, how many instances can you run in either AUM or ApeMatrix?

That’s a good comparison for me. I can get away with 3, but it gets a bit crackly and jerky with some patches.

Had a quick try for you.

So, in AUM, I started up 6 Unreliable Anthonys feeding 6 Aparillos all routed through Mix Bus A and applied a limiter to keep the levels a bit clean. Didn't have a single glitch, the UI is running smoothly and CPU is hovering around 50%.

It's not the way I normally work but after selecting a few different presets and changing the Anthonys to generate different rhythms, it cooks up quite a magnificent orchestral racket.

If I could figure out a way to record and sequence the channels fading in and out that could spark off a whole new direction. v. nice.

Oh and the pencil, 1st gen, is really quite something for drawing with. These things are always a compromise but nonetheless..

Thanks for testing!

Bloody Nora - 6 instances, that’s twice as beefy as this thing then, and good to hear feedback on the pencil - I’d use it with the Affinity apps.

Know what you mean about the mixing - I wish AUM had a compact view with just the faders, it’d be easier for live mixing.

Hmmm....well that’s all good news, sounds like there’s an affordable option when this thing gives up - providing the pound/dollar rate doesn’t crash through the floor after March.

Sorry for derailing the thread - carry on!

• edited February 2019

@MonzoPro said:

I love the pencil, be very interested what you'd make of it from a more professional standpoint.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dendy said:
    @MonzoPro

Had a quick try for you.

Thanks for testing!

Bloody Nora - 6 instances, that’s twice as beefy as this thing then, and good to hear feedback on the pencil - I’d use it with the Affinity apps.

Know what you mean about the mixing - I wish AUM had a compact view with just the faders, it’d be easier for live mixing.

Hmmm....well that’s all good news, sounds like there’s an affordable option when this thing gives up - providing the pound/dollar rate doesn’t crash through the floor after March.

I had a go at the pencil in Procreate on the 2018 a few days ago. Very very very very nice! I so hope the rumored new mini supports pencil. I am currently saving pennies for it.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dendy said:
    @MonzoPro

Had a quick try for you.

Thanks for testing!

I had a go at the pencil in Procreate on the 2018 a few days ago. Very very very very nice! I so hope the rumored new mini supports pencil. I am currently saving pennies for it.

This forum is totally strange, when quoting what you wrote, it copies a whole list of other quotes. Quite useless :o :o :open_mouth:

Anyway, most probably, even if the new Mini will support the Apple Pencil, it will only support the new Pencil.

Apple is just destroying everything.
    It’s so massively frustrating.

• edited February 2019

@tja
    Apple is just destroying everything. It’s so massively frustrating.

THIS !

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

I love the pencil, be very interested what you'd make of it from a more professional standpoint.

I use the phone for my silly track, pics, and desktop for work stuff. Never use the iPad for graphics, just music - but feel guilty about it as I have the Affinity apps on here, but never use them. The Pencil would definitely make it a more usable thing, and going for the 128 storage (64 on this) a viable option.

• edited February 2019

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dendy said:
    @MonzoPro

Had a quick try for you.

Thanks for testing!

Ah right, I’ve got that too.

As well as the Affinity stuff, I’d like to do some sketching/art stuff on the iPad. I follow a guy on Twitter who does some really nice sketches - not sure what he uses, but they look digital.

Seems the 2018 model is a good deal.

• The 2018 model is the best value for money in the line-up, by far. It has an A10 processor, same as the 207 Pro, and it's easily 2x more powerful than the Air 2.

As for Pencil, I've dabbled a bit in Procreate since I got my 10.5 Pro at Christmas. It's OK for drawing, a bit slippery and the occasional issue with palm rejection (accidentally making marks with your hand).

• @richardyot said:
    The 2018 model is the best value for money in the line-up, by far. It has an A10 processor, same as the 207 Pro, and it's easily 2x more powerful than the Air 2.

As for Pencil, I've dabbled a bit in Procreate since I got my 10.5 Pro at Christmas. It's OK for drawing, a bit slippery and the occasional issue with palm rejection (accidentally making marks with your hand).

Nice work Richard!

Do you use the Pencil with the 2018 model? Just wondering if there's much difference between the way it works with the two.

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:
    The 2018 model is the best value for money in the line-up, by far. It has an A10 processor, same as the 207 Pro, and it's easily 2x more powerful than the Air 2.

Nice work Richard!

Do you use the Pencil with the 2018 model? Just wondering if there's much difference between the way it works with the two.

No I only have the 10.5 Pro - but the 2018 model has the same processor so in terms of lag etc the experience should be the same (I didn't experience any lag). The only real difference will be the screen, but I don't think it should be that significant (the Pro has a wider colour gamut and a higher refresh rate, but honestly I don't think it's that big a deal).

• New iPads coming in March so hold your money for a little bit.

• @richardyot said:

Self-portrait on tax day?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

No no no - it's actually a picture of you on match day, during Mourinho's tenure...

• FWIW, I find the pencil useful on apps with small knobs and sliders.

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

No no no - it's actually a picture of you on match day, during Mourinho's tenure...

But, of course, what was I thinking....

• That's the feeling playing in nanostudio ... :]

• For people who don't frequent the Nanostudio forums, I'll repost these here - a bunch of presets I've created for Slate and Obsidian:

Slate acoustic drum kits (most of which have 3 layers of velocity and variations for the snare):

Big Mono kit

Jazz Kit

60s Pop Kit

Mega Reaper Kit

Easy Rider 1 and Easy Rider 2

And some Obsidian patches with mangled samples from Sopranotron:

Soprano patches

• @richardyot said:
    For people who don't frequent the Nanostudio forums, I'll repost these here - a bunch of presets I've created for Slate and Obsidian:

Slate acoustic drum kits (most of which have 3 layers of velocity and variations for the snare):

Big Mono kit

Jazz Kit

60s Pop Kit

Mega Reaper Kit

Soprano patches

Lovely Richard thank you, I didn’t know about these.

I’ve drifted back to NS2. I think it’s place in my workflow, is for very detailed, structured tunes. The sequencer and MIDI editor are a joy to use, and help with precise note tweaking.

A lot more time consuming than my frenzied live AUM jams, but it’s nice to get a bit of structure in.

• @richardyot said:

The first thing I did when I got the Pencil 🙂

You can make Procreate only accept pencil input for drawing and reserve the fingers for gestures. I find it much more reliable that way. It’s in Actions (the wrench icon, menubar), Gesture controls, disable touch actions. I find that a lot of illustrators who haven’t jumped onto Cintiqs are now picking up iPads instead, so it’s definitely a good tool. Most use Procreate or Clip Studio Paint. Personally I prefer the latter for finished work but it has a much steeper learning curve.

• Clip Studio Paint is subscription based, which makes it a no-go for many.

• Just a quick q about the part editor: is there a way to display only used notes (fold as they say)? if i understood the manual correctly the Slate instrument displays the sample names but displays also unused note lanes.
    tia

• edited February 2019

@tja said:
    Clip Studio Paint is subscription based, which makes it a no-go for many.

Absolutely, I find it worth it because it’s the full desktop app, and deeper than photoshop for drawing, but I understand it’s not something you want to do if you only use it occasionally. I pay 25€ per year for the pro edition, which I consider a good deal, the limitations are trivial unless you are a pro comics artist. You can find very good deals for the desktop app but the iPad version of EX (the full app) is admittedly overpriced, it costs more than the desktop version.

@dermichl said:
    Just a quick q about the part editor: is there a way to display only used notes (fold as they say)? if i understood the manual correctly the Slate instrument displays the sample names but displays also unused note lanes.
    tia

No fold at the moment.

• @Stiksi said:
    You can make Procreate only accept pencil input for drawing and reserve the fingers for gestures. I find it much more reliable that way. It’s in Actions (the wrench icon, menubar), Gesture controls, disable touch actions.

That's good to know - thanks!

• edited February 2019

@Stiksi said:

@richardyot said:

The first thing I did when I got the Pencil 🙂

You can make Procreate only accept pencil input for drawing and reserve the fingers for gestures. I find it much more reliable that way. It’s in Actions (the wrench icon, menubar), Gesture controls, disable touch actions. I find that a lot of illustrators who haven’t jumped onto Cintiqs are now picking up iPads instead, so it’s definitely a good tool. Most use Procreate or Clip Studio Paint. Personally I prefer the latter for finished work but it has a much steeper learning curve.

Good call on the gesture controls, should pretty much nail any palm rejection issues I think.

For grip you can also use a rubber grip from a cheap pen too. I used to do this with my old school wacom tablet pens before they made them nice and thick...

Also, a satin glove with select fingers chopped off works great to help the hand slide.

I have not actually tried paperlike but hear some folks love it... https://paperlike.com

• edited February 2019

@richardyot said:
    For people who don't frequent the Nanostudio forums, I'll repost these here - a bunch of presets I've created for Slate and Obsidian:

Big Mono kit

Jazz Kit

60s Pop Kit

Mega Reaper Kit

Soprano patches

All really good and thank you Richard, particularly like the snares in Easy Rider 2 :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    All really good and thank you Richard, particularly like the snares in Easy Rider 2 :)

Glad you like them. :)

A general tip for anyone wanting to get more organic finger-drumming results in Slate:

You can create a drum map in Xequence with velocity sensitive pads, either vertically (as in this example, the gradient on the pads shows the velocity), horizontally, or out from the centre.

You can then use the MIDIFlow app to trigger Slate with those pads (this is a workaround until NS2 exposes its Virtual MIDI port):

I believe KB1 will soon have an update that also allows you to create velocity-sensitive pads on the vertical axis, which should be a bit simpler because it will work without the MIDIFlow app in between.

• @AudioGus said:
    For grip you can also use a rubber grip from a cheap pen too. I used to do this with my old school wacom tablet pens before they made them nice and thick...

Also, a satin glove with select fingers chopped off works great to help the hand slide.

I have not actually tried paperlike but hear some folks love it... https://paperlike.com

Oo, that is better, may have to try this, thanks! I actually like the glass surface, it’s fairly close to the newer cintiqs. I use the cheap white cotton gloves you can find at a pharmacy and chop off all the fingers except the pinky. With CSP I also use a BT keyboard because i get all the shortcuts and don’t have to tap the screen so much. Ok, maybe I’ve off-topiced enough 🙂

• @Stiksi said:

@AudioGus said:

Oo, that is better, may have to try this, thanks! I actually like the glass surface, it’s fairly close to the newer cintiqs. I use the cheap white cotton gloves you can find at a pharmacy and chop off all the fingers except the pinky. With CSP I also use a BT keyboard because i get all the shortcuts and don’t have to tap the screen so much. Ok, maybe I’ve off-topiced enough 🙂

Lol, whoops, just realised this is an NS2 thread, heh... how the...

• @Stiksi said:

No fold at the moment.

thanks.
    one more q if you don’t mind: does Slate use adjacent notes?

This discussion has been closed.