Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• Out of curiosity what is everyone using to get their midi notes recorded into their DAW? Does everyone use Cubasis to achieve this?

I’ve only ever done it during live AUM sessions in which it’s recorded during a jam session.

I know everyone is anxious for midiFX recording in NS2, but from everyone chiming in on it you’d think all DAWs supported this...so I’ll ask again, how is everyone recording midi being generated by Rozeta?

I’m using AB to route the data to NS2 so i can capture the notes. I think this is fine as a workaround cause it gets me the notes i want to manipulate later in the mix.

• @recccp said:

@david_2017 said:
    Before I write in the blip forums.... somehow I must missed the way how NS2 automates exposed parameters of my beloved AU Plugins. How can I expose them, access them, add them to the automation menu!?

For AU instruments - through macros.
    For AU FX - currently not possible.

Oooops a HUGE shadow over the magnificent NS2 wonderland... please tell me that Matt is already on it. I would love a BM3 approach, haha

• @david_2017 said:
    Before I write in the blip forums.... somehow I must missed the way how NS2 automates exposed parameters of my beloved AU Plugins. How can I expose them, access them, add them to the automation menu!?

Try to follow this link...

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/AUInstrument.html#macro-tools

• @Cib said:
    So there are people loving it and some hating it and of course something between.
    I´m interested in especially how people think about Obsidian.
    What do you think about it compared to other iOS synths?

Humm. I’ve read hundreds of posts, and my impression is just about everyone loves it. Some are irritated at a feature or two missing or not working as expected. But even they feel it’s a remarkable app. And it is.

I’m just beginning to plumb the depths of Obsidian. It’s amazing. It’s really like most of the best of my synths capabilities rolled up into one app. It’s a bit like a modular synth, with lots and lots of really good modules. It doesn’t seem to me like it would be the best to point beginners at. But for me it’s a vast playground and I’m itching for recess to get out and explore it.

• @wim said:

• I failed to get StepPolyArp unit to control anything in-app. Hopefully just user error. If not, then this is a big deal since it works in every other host.

Hey - not perfect solution at all, but if you run SPA as a stand-alone, then NS2 will record it. The draggy thing about this is there is no transport stop and start between the two, so you will likely need to edit the midi start and end points in NS2 after it records.

As an aside, it’s ironic to me that IAA is so reviled, but it certainly provides the workaround in this case.

• edited December 2018

FWIW. I already posted this earlier in the thread but I’ll insert it here as well. Here’s the AB preset to get your Rozeta goodness recorded into NS2 with MidiFlow adapter:

http://preset.audiob.us/#X5ynnC9JvMN1GA3

FWIW this is great because i can’t even do this in BM3. 🧐🤪💗

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@ALB said:

@wim said:

• I failed to get StepPolyArp unit to control anything in-app. Hopefully just user error. If not, then this is a big deal since it works in every other host.

Hey - not perfect solution at all, but if you run SPA as a stand-alone, then NS2 will record it. The draggy thing about this is there is no transport stop and start between the two, so you will likely need to edit the midi start and end points in NS2 after it records.

As an aside, it’s ironic to me that IAA is so reviled, but it certainly provides the workaround in this case.

Yes, shoving AU midi into NS2 from outside is a good workaround for recording midi right now.

The thing I was pointing out with SPA Unit is it doesn’t work at all (for me so far) in NS2. I don’t mind really not being able to record AU midi in NS2, but I would like the plugins to at least work.

• edited December 2018

@wim
    Currently, you can’t play notes or pads if an AU midi FX is loaded on the channel. Tested with Rozeta XOX and Bass Line.

woooot ?!? damn, how it is that i didn’t found this :( i was abusing bram’s plugins a lot during testing !!! dumb me :(

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@dendy said:

@wim
    Currently, you can’t play notes or pads if an AU midi FX is loaded on the channel. Tested with Rozeta XOX and Bass Line.

woooot ?!? damn, how it is that i didn’t found this :( dumb me :(

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, I haven’t found it though. NS2 forum topic isn here: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/99/fr-enable-playing-notes-when-midi-fx-are-engaged#latest. I’m @number37 over there.

• @david_2017 said:

@recccp said:

@david_2017 said:

Oooops a HUGE shadow over the magnificent NS2 wonderland... please tell me that Matt is already on it. I would love a BM3 approach, haha

Sorry, no idea. My guess, this and AU Midi recording will be high priority after those few mentioned bugs are sorted out.

• edited December 2018

@wim said:

@dendy said:

@wim

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, I haven’t found it though.

No no, you’re right, that bug IS there... i was wondering that i didn’t catched this bug during testing, before release...

• @wim said:

The thing I was pointing out with SPA Unit is it doesn’t work at all (for me so far) in NS2. I don’t mind really not being able to record AU midi in NS2, but I would like the plugins to at least work.

Sure - understood.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@dendy said:

@wim said:

@dendy said:

@wim

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, I haven’t found it though.

No no, you’re right, that bug IS there... i was wondering that i didn’t catched this bug during testing, before release...

The NS2 forum topic isn here: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/99/fr-enable-playing-notes-when-midi-fx-are-engaged#latest. I’m @ number37 over there.

• @dendy said:

@wim

woooot ?!? damn, how it is that i didn’t found this :( i was abusing bram’s plugins a lot during testing !!! dumb me :(

I don't think this is unexpected behavior, those seqs are not fxs but generators. Notes being sent to them are used to transpose/change pattern. IMO this is expected behavior, until there is flexible routing (like in AUM multiple sources to multiple destinations).

• I guess actual midi fx like arp/scaler will pass midi notes as you would expect.

• @wim said:

@wim I can get this. Loaded up as midi fx.

• @recccp said:

@dendy said:

@wim

I don't think this is unexpected behavior, those seqs are not fxs but generators. Notes being sent to them are used to transpose/change pattern. IMO this is expected behavior, until there is flexible routing (like in AUM multiple sources to multiple destinations).

I can see how the term Midi FX contributes to this confusion. You would expect most FX to affect or add to something and pass it through. Most “Midi FX” are, as you say, generators, and should not usually be passing data through. This seemed to be the confusion on Matt’s part.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@Chaztrip said:

@wim said:

@wim I can get this. Loaded up as midi fx.

Uh yeah, but can you get it to play anything? I failed. But also didn’t have time yet to dive into it heavily. (Too busy cluttering up forums.)

• @recccp said:

@david_2017 said:

@recccp said:

@david_2017 said:

Sorry, no idea. My guess, this and AU Midi recording will be high priority after those few mentioned bugs are sorted out.

Hey mate, you said through macros it is possible with in app parameters. Can you guide me to the macro site? I have seen it before but I cannot find it again!? Looked the whole manual through. Where is this macro page gone :) thank you!

• @wim yes plays fine. Obviously can’t record the midi but it play.

• I don't think it's a confusion. It seems to be more or less the same as in BM3. The chain of midi messages are ext midi source -> internal midi source (keyboard, pads) -> midi fx -> instrument.
    In this case midi fx is a generator that can be driven by midi notes, so can't pass them.
    The solution could be modified rozeta (unlikely), or routing system that allows that instrument being reached from multiple sources (which seems unlikely as well unfortunately). It's simply not intended use for these tools.

• @Chaztrip said:
    @wim yes plays fine. Obviously can’t record the midi but it play.

OK, it’s gotta be me then. I wonder what I’m doing wrong?

• @david_2017

@Trueyorky said:

@david_2017 said:

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/AUInstrument.html#macro-tools

Everything you need to know :)

• @recccp said:
    @david_2017

@Trueyorky said:

@david_2017 said:

Everything you need to know :)

Oh I missed this. Thank for pointing it out again! 👍🏼😎

• @Chaztrip said:

If you don’t mind, and have the time, could you please describe the steps you took? Nothing I’m trying is working. I’m loading it as a midi FX into an Obsidian track, and all I can get from playing the app keyboard or my external keyboard is the notes I play, no arp.

• @echoopera said:
    FWIW. I already posted this earlier in the thread but I’ll insert it here as well. Here’s the AB preset to get your Rozeta goodness recorded into NS2 with MidiFlow adapter:

http://preset.audiob.us/#X5ynnC9JvMN1GA3

FWIW this is great because i can’t even do this in BM3. 🧐🤪💗

Anybody else seeing the “count -in” break in NS2 when you use the latest Audiobus to route and record Midi into NS2?

• Yes, there have been hot heads on the NS2 forum, sorry about that. We’re > @reasOne said:

@gusgranite said:
    Yikes. The NS2 forum seems a bit unwelcoming. Nearly every bug and feature request gets challenged and in some cases ridiculed rather than logged for the developer to assess. I feel bad for the developer to be honest. NS2 is obviously an awesome achievement and open dialogue with users will only help it evolve.

Ya I made an account but it deff felt very , take it as it is, and get over it if you don't like it

Blip laid down some ground rules for the forum, so I hope this is now sorted and the athmosphere will be more welcoming of different views.

• @wim said:

@Chaztrip said:

If you don’t mind, and have the time, could you please describe the steps you took? Nothing I’m trying is working. I’m loading it as a midi FX into an Obsidian track, and all I can get from playing the app keyboard or my external keyboard is the notes I play, no arp.

Ahhh sorry I’m setting to sequence then playing the host.

• Really nice post from Matt, the NS2 developer. https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/163/feature-requests-and-bug-reports

Levels have officially been reset. Time to enjoy this wonderful app and queue up the wish list! iOS music production is on the up and up.

• Wow, that’s one of the best posts I’ve seen on the internet, ever. I’m really starting to love that guy.

This discussion has been closed.