Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for something like the Linnstrument for iPad...

Does anything even remotely resemble that play approach? Was eyeing GeoShred and Gridinstrument...

Comments

• Geoshred is actually very playable - I've used it on a number of tracks

(although I sometimes play it with my seaboard too - & i do have my eye on a linnstrument one day as well)

• KB-1 can do it as well, it's String layout is based on the linnstrument.

• @ka010 said:
    KB-1 can do it as well, it's String layout is based on the linnstrument.

Very cool cause I just bought this. Didn't realize cause I didn't have multiple rows selected!!! Yay!

• No, but for iPhone with 3D touch there are a few options. The thing is the iPad is mainly like a large XY pad. The Z axis is missing and so you have just 2 of the 5 "dimensions" the way it works on these instruments like Linnstrument and Seaboard etc.
    I always try to add pressure if i use an iPad but nothing happens :)

• If it's any help, I bought a Linnstrument after growing quite fond of Geoshred. It's a very similar experience except more "tactile" with the LS.

• Three year old thread but in case anyone stumbles on it as I did, Expression Pad is also worth checking out. It has a layout similar to GeoShred and the Linnstrument:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/expressionpad-midi-synth/id1198834918

• Expression Pad is pretty cool! Thanks for mentioning it. It has a few quirks when sliding fingers around…but it’s supporting glide at least. I’ve been using Musix Pro for a while but it hasn’t been updated in a while. Doesn’t seem to support MPE, or note glide. You can still get some interesting voicing shapes out of it. It has isomorphic as well as Linnstrument layouts.

• @des said:
    Expression Pad is pretty cool! Thanks for mentioning it. It has a few quirks when sliding fingers around…but it’s supporting glide at least. I’ve been using Musix Pro for a while but it hasn’t been updated in a while. Doesn’t seem to support MPE, or note glide. You can still get some interesting voicing shapes out of it. It has isomorphic as well as Linnstrument layouts.

I’m glad you like Expression Pad. I don’t think it’s very widely known. I had heard of Musix Pro but I did not know it had a Linnstrument setting (I am a Linnstrument owner and really like that note layout). Now I’ll have to check it out.

If you haven’t tried GeoShred, it is seriously cool. There are three versions of it, depending on whether you want to use it as a MIDI controller, to play internal sounds, or both. The “Pro” version has both and I love it - the SWAM instruments are also incredible,

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    If it's any help, I bought a Linnstrument after growing quite fond of Geoshred. It's a very similar experience except more "tactile" with the LS.

If anyone else stumbles on this thread, I thought I’d say that this is how I ended up getting my Linnstrument too. Going from GeoShred to a Linnstrument is a really smooth transition. When using the SWAM instruments in GeoShred on an iPad, though, I would recommend changing the setting to six “strings” rather than the default four. This makes it more comparable to a Linnstrument.

• @LeftyChris said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    If it's any help, I bought a Linnstrument after growing quite fond of Geoshred. It's a very similar experience except more "tactile" with the LS.

If anyone else stumbles on this thread, I thought I’d say that this is how I ended up getting my Linnstrument too. Going from GeoShred to a Linnstrument is a really smooth transition. When using the SWAM instruments in GeoShred on an iPad, though, I would recommend changing the setting to six “strings” rather than the default four. This makes it more comparable to a Linnstrument.

Thanks! Great to hear back from you on this. Much appreciated!

• expressionPad appears to have been removed from the App Store. A really unfortunate development since it was quite a great and useful app.

• @gkillmaster said:
    Does anything even remotely resemble that play approach? Was eyeing GeoShred and Gridinstrument...

Definitely GeoShred.

• There is also Velocity Keyboard. Very similar to GeoShred but adds velocity and force (touch area) sensing. Not as flashy looking as GeoShred and has no internal sounds, it’s just a controller. Supports MPE and its very customizable. The companion app Velocity Filter can add velocity to synths that don’t support MIDI velocity.

• @rheslip said:
    There is also Velocity Keyboard. Very similar to GeoShred but adds velocity and force (touch area) sensing. Not as flashy looking as GeoShred and has no internal sounds, it’s just a controller. Supports MPE and its very customizable. The companion app Velocity Filter can add velocity to synths that don’t support MIDI velocity.

Personally, I tried out Velocity Keyboard and found it lacking in function and flexibility. I've found GeoShred and Kai Aras' KB-1 far better choices.

• edited March 2023

I posted the same thing about expressionPad on a different thread and someone posted this app, “Beat Pads.” I never would have guessed that it plays notes since the name makes it sound like it would just be drum pads, but I’ve tried it out and it seems quite good.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beat-pads/id1633882803

• @LeftyChris said:
    I posted the same thing about expressionPad on a different thread and someone posted this app, “Beat Pads.” I never would have guessed that it plays notes since the name makes it sound like it would just be drum pads, but I’ve tried it out and it seems quite good.

Same, grabbed it earlier, couldn't go far wrong for a buck. Only had a quick play. Pretty nice! Pity it doesn't have a panic button as I found that playing Phosphor 3 with it I was getting stuck notes from time to time.

• @Gavinski said:

@LeftyChris said:

Same, grabbed it earlier, couldn't go far wrong for a buck. Only had a quick play. Pretty nice! Pity it doesn't have a panic button as I found that playing Phosphor 3 with it I was getting stuck notes from time to time.

One problem with this - no control over sustain level, from what I can see