Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GrooveBox Makes Me Very Happy....

Always surprising me!
Don’t know if this has been documented, but today while beta testing AudioBus, I loaded up Groovebox, Midiflow Keyboard, AB’s Virtual midi Adapter, and Rosetta’s awesome Arp and went on to play some chords on the MF keyboard to trigger a Poly 8 module in GB.

I had a really nice beat going on in GB so I decided to record the midi out that Rosetta’s Arp was creating into Poly 8. I set that to record 16 measures and it all got recorded faithfully!

Here is where Groovebox made me smile. I had Poly 8 playing back this cool progression created by Rosetta’s Arp so I added a Bass module to GB and guess what, GB created a cool sounding Backing to the pattern that Poly 8 was playing! I said wait a minute, it sounds as if it’s trying to auto create according to the way my Poly 8 pattern was playing! So I said no way, I don’t remember this happening before; what gives?

Well, I decided to add a Minimon module, which by the way is amazing! And it did the same thing!

To me this find is new and this opens up a huge creative generation process for me cause utilizing AB3, Midiflow keyboard, and Rosetta’s Arp, one can directly record that output into GrooveBox and create song patterns on the fly! And have the other modules create something along the progression being played by the original recording. If this is nothing new, please excuse my ignorance and enthusiasm but if you haven’t tried it, man you should, especially if you’re running dry on creativity.

Here’s a short sound clip of the generated patterns all based on the original midi out Arp that Rosetta’s Arp created in realtime into Poly 8 in Groovebox:

Happy Beat Groovebox-MM4C at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

Comments

• Really nice sounding stuff @MusicMan4Christ thanks for the process break down as well. Keep up the great work!

• @echoopera thanks man! Love your music as well! Like we all, trying to find the right apps to help us make the music we love!

• @MusicMan4Christ interesting process and a very happy beat indeed... :)

• @MusicMan4Christ Very nice results! Is there or will there be an extended version available?

• @MusicMan4Christ I love it! 🙂
    I find Groovebox a joy to work in. If they ever manage to add more pro features it will make my year.

• edited November 2018

I've been diving deep into Groovebox the past few days since all the IAP's went on sale. Love it for simplicity and getting ideas out quickly. I wish the Ableton Live export (or any export) would include MIDI too.

• @JohnnyGoodyear thanks Captain :)
    @0__O__3 thanks! I think so, I have to work on the other song parts, but this pattern just keeps playing in my mind!
    I think what I’ll do is mute everything but the bass in another section and build from there :D.

@Shabudua thanks me too! I will build more sections and export to Stagelight and put it all together there on a timeline. I can’t wait to get my iPad fixed cause my eyes are already hurting on the iPhone SE little screen :# :o <3

• Exactly! Even if they don’t let us export their midi patterns, at least let us export the ones we created. That would totally be awesome!

@difuzer said:
    I've been diving deep into Groovebox the past few days since all the IAP's went on sale. Love it for simplicity and getting ideas out quick. I wish the Ableton Live export (or any export) would include MIDI too.

• Here's a live take from a few days ago. 95% Groovebox, 4% Troublemaker for 303 bass, %1 Ruismaker Noir for clicky back track.

• Love it! Really nice song!

@difuzer said:
    Here's a live take from a few days ago. 95% Groovebox, 4% Troublemaker for 303 bass, %1 Ruismaker Noir for clicky back track.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    @0__O__3 thanks! I think so, I have to work on the other song parts, but this pattern just keeps playing in my mind!
    I think what I’ll do is mute everything but the bass in another section and build from there :D.

This really is an excellent idea. I’ve played it a few times. I’m looking forward to an extended version so I can stay in its environment longer! All the textures and parts blend together very well.

• Thank you for this reminder that Groovebox is pretty kickass for its simplicity. Haven’t played with it in a while

• Groovebox is so close to being one tha best things on iOS

• Thanks for the cool post @MusicMan4Christ it sent me on a path to explore GrooveBox a bit more using PolyPhase to drive the sequences which i recorded and then live automated and recorded into AUM. Here’s the result.

Man i just making music on iOS. So liberating.

• @reasOne said:
    Groovebox is so close to being one tha best things on iOS

+10

• @MusicMan4Christ How would I get Troublemaker/Ruismaker to drive Groovebox. Do I need midiflow adapter?

• edited November 2018

@mlondon Do you own Rozeta Suite?

• Groovebox is my most used iOS app second to blocs wave. It really is a pretty neat app. It gets slated for things missing, but what is there is pretty amazing. It is pretty difficult to make this app sound bad.

It makes me happy that people are 'clicking' with it.

Tagging @AmpifyxNovation in this because the recent GB threads have been mostly negative, it is nice to see people mentioning the positives :)

• @echoopera said:
    Thanks for the cool post @MusicMan4Christ it sent me on a path to explore GrooveBox a bit more using PolyPhase to drive the sequences which i recorded and then live automated and recorded into AUM. Here’s the result.

Man i just making music on iOS. So liberating.

Have you tried Groovebox and KEW linked together yet ?
    WARNING: Make sure you have plenty of time, you will get lost in time :D

• I've yet to hear back from the Ampify thread but I posted a quick summary on the math of the number of patterns in Groovebox.

@SpookyZoo said:
    @AmpifyxNovation

Congrats on the 10million app users. This does however highlight more than anything the improvements that need to be made to Groovebox in particular.

A large percentage of your 10 million users probably own more than 1 Ampify app, but lets say for now that 1/3 of them own Groovebox.

Round that down to 3million Groovebox users.

Each Groovebox synth pack has 20 patches and 40 Patterns.

Lets stick to the melodic Patterns available in Poly-8 and Minimon.

Poly-8 has 13 packs, which = 520 Patterns.

If I create just ONE song and include just ONE Poly-8 pattern.

Odds are that I'm rocking a song with a melody shared by over 5,000 (THOUSAND!!) users! (3,000,000 / 520 = 5,769)

Use just 1 Minmon Pattern and you're in a race to the copyright finish line with 9,375 others. Yep, NineThousandThreeHundredAndSeventyFive!

So, Ok. Groovebox is a great place to start, kick off some ideas, but the piano roll is just so awful, trying to edit and personalise the track is just a horrible experience. Sorry, but it really is the worst piano roll on the store.

The app needs to be better to make these ideas our own. The Synth sounds are great. Let us import/export midi. Save presets. Give us a better piano roll.

Otherwise we're all just playing the same song.

Cheers

• @gusgranite said:

I’m on an iPad 4 iOS 10.3.3 so unfortunately no. Is there a work around for older devices?

• @mlondon said:

@gusgranite said:

I’m on an iPad 4 iOS 10.3.3 so unfortunately no. Is there a work around for older devices?

It looks like you need a host to route the midi when running Troublemaker as standalone. Do you have AUM?

• @gusgranite said:

I like Groovebox, but being a little lame I've done little with it than just play is as it is. No patterns just playing. Which bits of Rozeta do you most fancy with this?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

I like Groovebox, but being a little lame I've done little with it than just play is as it is. No patterns just playing. Which bits of Rozeta do you most fancy with this?

Oh, I was just trying to help @mlondon sequence Groovebox with Bram’s apps. I tend to use Groovebox’s own pattern selector, tweak the midi in Groovebox and then record the stems.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

Any or all of it is great for recording the MIDI into Groovebox, obvious would be bassline for Retrobass, but it works well with Minimon too...
    Little point in XOX though as you can just program in the same fashion within Drumbox....UNLESS

• Turn off quantise in GB and use 808 timing in XOX
    • Use the Velocity variation in XOX
    • record longer patterns (8 bars) in GB and use the Mutate in XOX
  • It looks like you need a host to route the midi when running Troublemaker as standalone. Do you have AUM?

I do have AUM. I’m able to load up troublemaker and Groovebox but Groovebox doesn’t show up on the midi routing screen. Makes me wonder if it’s and iOS 11 only thing.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

Any or all of it is great for recording the MIDI into Groovebox, obvious would be bassline for Retrobass, but it works well with Minimon too...
    Little point in XOX though as you can just program in the same fashion within Drumbox....UNLESS

• Turn off quantise in GB and use 808 timing in XOX
    • Use the Velocity variation in XOX
    • record longer patterns (8 bars) in GB and use the Mutate in XOX

Oh and for XOX use the Gadget template to get the bottom 8 rows of Drumbox on the 8 tracks in XOX

• edited November 2018

I've never really heard much about this app. Stupid but I often overlook an app that says "GET" on the appstore. Are the IAPs all good? Worth it for the $6.99 pack?

• @kinkujin said:
    I've never really heard much about this app. Stupid but I often overlook an app that says "GET" on the appstore. Are the IAPs all good? Worth it for the $6.99 pack?

Get the pro pack to unlock the synth and drum editing....you get the basic editing for free but when unlocked the synths and drums are far more programmable.