Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Keyboard recommendations

Okay, I'm starting to collect keyboard controllers and I'm still looking for "The One".

(Throughout this post "portable" is to mean something that's easy to grab and go, couch 'n lap friendly.)

At some point I grabbed an Akai MPK mini Mk2 during some sale or promotion. It's very portable, but has poor keys and doesn't run on iPad bus power alone (apparently it does on the new USB-C Pros, but that doesn't fix the keys)

I bought a Novation Launchkey Mini 25, which does run from iPad bus power so it's a nice grab and go solution, but the keys are awful, it's like they're backed with high-density foam.

Mostly stating for reference, I also have an M-Audio Axiom 49 Pro from many moons ago, but I don't like the ratcheting encoders (I think the Mk2 fixes that) and the keys are just serviceable. It's not in the portable camp and needs a powered hub, too.

My favorite controller so far is my NI KK S61 Mk2, but it's not remotely in the portable camp, nor is it iPad bus powered. The keys feel great though.

So, what small form factor keyboards are actually good? I have two microkey controllers, so unless something blows them out of the water I'm not really looking for a "pocketable" controller but one with standard sized keys, probably 25 or 37 keys.

While features are nice, I'd say my sorted by priority want list is:

• Quality keys
  • iPad bus powered
  • Rotary knobs (for synth control)
  • Transport controls
  • Modulation/Pitchbend
  • MIDI buttons

Features I'm not really worried about but could be nice to have:

• Arpeggiator
  • pads
  • wireless

Currently, my short list is:

• Novation Impulse 25 (This one is my primary consideration, I''m just not sure if it'll need a powered hub or what the keys feel like, though)
  • NI KK A25 ( however, most of the buttons are wasted outside of Komplete Kontrol, and the A series might not even work as generic MIDI?)
  • Not sure if anything from AKAI fits the bill
  • Maybe Nektar?

Comments

• Yeah what is up with Nektar stuff? No talked about much here, but seems pretty good.
    I just heard of them recently, when looking for a portable midi controller (25 keys/USB powered).

• Nektar make some great MIDI controllers - I almost bought one but it was too wide (T4 49 key) for my space.

• Meh, no pads. ;)

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Meh, no pads. ;)

er...

@Liquidmantis said:

• Arpeggiator
    • pads
    • wireless

You don't get pads but you do get a polyphonic virtual analog 3 OSC synthesizer along with audio and MIDI IO. Win some, lose some, I guess.

• @Liquidmantis
    Arturia MiniLab2
    M-Audio CODE 25

• l.> @syrupcore said:

@Liquidmantis said:
    Meh, no pads. ;)

er...

@Liquidmantis said:

• Arpeggiator
    • pads
    • wireless

You don't get pads but you do get a polyphonic virtual analog 3 OSC synthesizer along with audio and MIDI IO. Win some, lose some, I guess.

Oh, I thought you were making fun of my grocery list. I didn't think it would work with iOS but just turned up a thread on it here. Does it run off the iPad or need a powered hub, though?

• This is a tough one....its something you gotta try to know for sure, buy nothing without return option and save your reciepts

• edited November 2018

If budget is not an issue:

Roland JD-Xi (37 keys, no pads but comes with all the 33 drum kits - 303. 606, 808, 909, etc and arpeggiator, vocoder, a unique Sequencer that no other synth has with a quick workflow). Its big brother 4 octave JD-Xa that doesn't have any drums.

Something bigger (a workstation) - Roland FA-06

• @breilly said:
    This is a tough one....its something you gotta try to know for sure, buy nothing without return option and save your reciepts

I have been dreading going into Guitar Center to get a hands-on experience before I decide on something. Guess it is going to be necessary.

• Have you tried the XKey air?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Have you tried the XKey air?

Who, me?
    I haven’t tried anything, yet. (Guitar Center >:) )

I just finished taking my old Radium 49 controller apart and spraying it profusely with contact cleaner. It works like new, now. But still big, and inconvenient to hook up to the iPad and use.

• Roland PCR 300/500/800

Still one of the best MIDI controllers you can get and like $50 used. Needs a powered hub though.

Arturia Keystep is good for a little keyboard/sequencer/arp and is ipad powered.

• edited November 2018

@Liquidmantis said:

Oh, I thought you were making fun of my grocery list. I didn't think it would work with iOS but just turned up a thread on it here. Does it run off the iPad or need a powered hub, though?

@syrupcore Suggested the X-Station to me a few years back when I had a similar question. Very glad I took his advice. I own half a dozen in 25/49/61 sizes now! :)

They can’t run off iPad power but will work with powered hub and can also run off 6 C type batteries. Battery use is pretty sketchy in my experience though.

Everything else about the X-Station is top class though. It’s a powerhouse of a midi controller. Those threads you saw will contains posts of ours highlighting it’s great points. A big one, not to be undersestimated is that it’s controller templates can be mapped on the X-Station itself without a need to use a desktop computer.

• edited November 2018

If you can put up with the clacky "button-keyboard", the Korg Nanokey Studio is worthy of consideration

Advantages over other options:

• Small/portable
    • bluetooth midi (works great) / no cables
    • 8 pads*
    • configurable velocity curve for all pads and keys

*although there are only 8 pads, in theory you can switch to one of 8 scenes, so each scene can be configured to control a different 8 pads (giving access to 64 pads max)

• I’m going to check out the Casio CTX-700 (again). I gave the first unit I bought to my talented bu t nontechnical daughter. For $175 it’s got a little built-in PA for my IOS devices.

• Yeah, bus power is a must have. Needing a wall wart or powered hub changes things entirely, and I already have my S61 for “fixed location” work. I’m considering an SL MkIII as a more featured option for that, though. I’m specifically looking for something that plays up the iPad advantage and lets me easily move about the house or take to the park.

• I often use a battery pack with USB cable to charge the midi controller and Yamaha MD-BT01 to Bluetooth midi over to iPad. It’s a lovely setup.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    I often use a battery pack with USB cable to charge the midi controller and Yamaha MD-BT01 to Bluetooth midi over to iPad. It’s a lovely setup.

Using AUM as a midi router this setup is great for controlling hardware too.

• If I wanted to have all that and be totally portable I’d just use my Xkey Air for keys and maybe look into one of those Akai bus powerable things with Pads, knobs, transport, etc. I guess they call them MPC ;) . The Xkey won’t need to be hooked up with wires and then you’d only need whatever can fulfill the rest of what you need. The Xkey is pretty nice, but sounds clicky and lacks key depth if that matters.

• Yeah, I’m realizing that I’m unicorn hunting and might have to make concessions. I have a LaunchControl XL so with a wireless solution I’d have a modular setup. Really I want something for noodling with ideas and laying down some parts. It doesn’t have to be a synth wank station.

The Xkeys are definitely interesting, I. Just not sure how I’d get on with the keys. The Nanokey and Keystep might work, too.

Do those BT MIDI adapters supporting multiple devices (with dedicated adapters each, of course), or is wireless MIDI limited to a single controller?

• edited November 2018

@Liquidmantis said:
    The Xkeys are definitely interesting,

This is one of my mobile setups, all 3 BT devices works perfect together 😊👍

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Yeah, I’m realizing that I’m unicorn hunting and might have to make concessions. I have a LaunchControl XL so with a wireless solution I’d have a modular setup. Really I want something for noodling with ideas and laying down some parts. It doesn’t have to be a synth wank station.

The Xkeys are definitely interesting, I. Just not sure how I’d get on with the keys. The Nanokey and Keystep might work, too.

Do those BT MIDI adapters supporting multiple devices (with dedicated adapters each, of course), or is wireless MIDI limited to a single controller?

I’ve connected up to 4 hardware devices each using an MD-BT01 to an iPad simultaneously.

• @chandroji said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@Liquidmantis said:
    Yeah, I’m realizing that I’m unicorn hunting and might have to make concessions. I have a LaunchControl XL so with a wireless solution I’d have a modular setup. Really I want something for noodling with ideas and laying down some parts. It doesn’t have to be a synth wank station.

I’ve connected up to 4 hardware devices each using an MD-BT01 to an iPad simultaneously.

Awesome!

• @chandroji said:

@Liquidmantis said:

Quick sidestep of Topic thread.

Does the NanoKontrol Studio (left one) automatically map to KEW in any nice ways?

• @SpookyZoo said:

@chandroji said:

@Liquidmantis said:

Does the NanoKontrol Studio (left one) automatically map to KEW in any nice ways?

Both Nano Studios works perfect with KEW!
    The NanoKontrol is automatically mapped with the mixer and the transport. 😊

• @chandroji said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@chandroji said:

@Liquidmantis said:

Both Nano Studios works perfect with KEW!
    The NanoKontrol is automatically mapped with the mixer and the transport. 😊

Great news. I own the NKS and bought KEW yesterday.

Back home tomorrow so will hook these up. Thanks.

• My favourite thing about that photo is the 30-min Sand timer

This guy @chandroji must have some serious Pomodoro technique creativity going :)

• @tk32 , I think @chandroji just put that in for scale...

• edited November 2018

Hey - don’t ruin the illusion @LinearLineman :)

In my head he was having madly creative 30-minute pomodoro bursts, and making 3 full tracks a day

@chandroji - am i right?