Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Black Friday 2018 Etude No. 1 - DX7 V - a 46-second demo

How often do you buy an app that you never end up using? Last year I set a rule for myself that I can't buy any new apps on Black Friday unless I create at least one track using every new app purchased. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but it forces me to at least learn my way around.

This year, my first purchase is an update to the Arturia V Collection 6 suite, which includes 21 instruments, some of which are new for me. I've only gotten as far as checking out the DX7 V app, and within the first few presets I was creating a track. I can't imagine getting to all of the new instruments any time soon, but so far here is a quick demo using only sounds from the DX7 V, plus Arturia Spark for drums. Enjoy!

http://chirb.it/5LaHn4

Comments

• But they are so cheap! iOS ones 🙃

• Doesn't happen much anymore, thanks to this forum and youtube.
    I've had a list of "nice-to-haves" in my head and this weekend was a great opportunity to get the stuff that I most likely wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

I appreciate the idea to make black friday a day of music making ... Black Music? :D

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    How often do you buy an app that you never end up using?

If it loads correctly in AUM that means I've "used it".

Your approach makes a lot of sense tho'... hit record to have proof for the IRS when you claim "business expenses" Music Hardware and Software $10,000 for that music business that produced $500 in income "preparing background tracks for wedding singers".

Now... What is "Chirb.it"? That's a new one on me.
    (If you answer back it keeps the thread on page one).

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    How often do you buy an app that you never end up using? Last year I set a rule for myself that I can't buy any new apps on Black Friday unless I create at least one track using every new app purchased. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but it forces me to at least learn my way around.

This year, my first purchase is an update to the Arturia V Collection 6 suite, which includes 21 instruments, some of which are new for me. I've only gotten as far as checking out the DX7 V app, and within the first few presets I was creating a track. I can't imagine getting to all of the new instruments any time soon, but so far here is a quick demo using only sounds from the DX7 V, plus Arturia Spark for drums. Enjoy!

DX7 is my favorite on that collection.

• I feel a lot better about my Black Friday spend when I notice Arturia V Collection 6 is $249 at 50% off.

Desktop software is for people with a serious music making "jones". Or maybe someone that has cracked the code on using their skills to make money to afford the "cost of living" in "Jobs-Gates Towers".

We play in the "Jobs Projects". Keep throwing us some clues about how the view looks from the upper floors.

I did buy StageLight and Audulus 3 for my Mac just to play with moving stuff about. My next project involves testing iDAM and multiple IOS devices into Desktop DAW's (I sublet a condo in Tower 3 but I rarely use it). You keep testing my resolve with great work.

• edited November 2018

@rs2000 said:

I appreciate the idea to make black friday a day of music making ... Black Music? :D

It was a tradition that I started for myself last year on Black Friday. Looking back over the past year, I realize it is a principle that I haven't exactly been able to stick with all year long, but for one day a year, at least.... :*

Here is the one I did last year. A mixture of Mac and iOS apps, 5 apps total.

http://chirb.it/7LAawC

This year my purchases have been more modest (so far... Cyber Monday still remains). So far, only the V Collection, which for me was an update from v 3 to v6.. Not sure how many new instruments that counts as...

Also, I did the "unlock" of Reason Compact, and I did start doing a track with it, but there is so much I'm hating about the app, I don't know if I'll bother finishing it.

Beyond that, I'm still on the fence about whether to get the Ravenscroft 275 piano, and still eyeing a few Beathawk expansion packs, possibly.

• edited November 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

My first Arturia synth was the CS-80 v, way back at least 10 years ago. I still like it a lot. Nothing else quite like it. Also the Mini Moog, and Jupiter 8 have been ones I've liked a lot over the years.

Of the newer stuff in the Collection, the DX7 is the only one I've really explored so far. One cool thing I've tried so far ... It apparently does a fairly decent job reading old DX7 patches as .syx. Better than FM8 for that, based on my initial tests. I also spent some time with their B3 and Clav last night. Which seem useful, but weird... Good, but it seems like almost every preset needs some tweaking. Didn't really expect them to be that good. My general impression is that Arturia's strength is modeling synths, not electro-mechanical or real instruments.

• @McDtracy said:

Now... What is "Chirb.it"? That's a new one on me.

Don't know much about it really. I learned about it years ago from a friend, before Soundcloud even existed, I think. I haven't use it much. I just use it for posting miscellaneous scraps of audio, "unofficial" releases. The interface is a little wonky. Some aspects of it are better than Soundcloud, I guess. I guess they are based in Italy?

• edited November 2018

@McDtracy said:
    I feel a lot better about my Black Friday spend when I notice Arturia V Collection 6 is $249 at 50% off.

It was much less for me, since it was an upgrade. Even for a new user, that's still a pretty great deal, for 21 instruments, most of them excellent. Spectrasonics charges almost $500 just for one instrument, Omnisphere.

But, yes, iOS pricing can definitely spoil you ... I try to shop for bargains in both realms.

My next project involves testing iDAM and multiple IOS devices into Desktop DAW's

I've only done one instrument at a time with IDAM. Might need Studiomux for more complex routings. (I've only done one instrument at a time with Studiomux too, actually).

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:
    My next project involves testing iDAM and multiple IOS devices into Desktop DAW's

I've only done one instrument at a time with IDAM. Might need Studiomux for more complex routings. (I've only done one instrument at a time with Studiomux too, actually).

It hit me today that I could use my Korg PlugKey and run better audio cables between the iPhone and the Presonus and record a decent steroe signal (I'm hoping) so I ordered another set of decent 3 ft audio cables to test. I like puzzles and hacking things together. I wear my "Hack" label with pride. I'm a total Hack.

• edited November 2018

@McDtracy said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:

It hit me today that I could use my Korg PlugKey and run better audio cables between the iPhone and the Presonus and record a decent steroe signal (I'm hoping) so I ordered another set of decent 3 ft audio cables to test. I like puzzles and hacking things together. I wear my "Hack" label with pride. I'm a total Hack.

I'm not familiar with the PlugKey, but i just did some quick googling. Definitely an intriguing device. But what I wonder about is: How do you record MIDI into your DAW on the computer? It seems like the PlugKey only sends MIDI to the the iPad. With IDAM/Studiomux, you can create a MIDI track in your desktop DAW, assign its output to the iPad, and record and playback MIDI to/from the iPad.

• edited November 2018

@Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:

I'm not familiar with the PlugKey, but i just did some quick googling. Definitely an intriguing device. But what I wonder about is: How do you record MIDI into your DAW on the computer? It seems like the PlugKey only sends MIDI to the the iPad. With IDAM/Studiomux, you can create a MIDI track in your desktop DAW, assign its output to the iPad, and record and playback MIDI to/from the iPad.

I bought the PlugKey to get a digital signal out of my iPhone because it was picking up interference from the chips via the headphone jack when connected to my Casio's Line In and AUX ports. It does that very well and give you stereo outs for live gig's to run into a direct box or into a PA. AND it has a accessible volume knob for the line-outs/headphone ports. (Can't get the volume knob to work on MIDI traffic... that's an intentional joke. Can fix that with StreamByter code I'll bet or Swift programming).
    I digress.

It has a 5-PIN DIN MIDI INPUT and I use that with the Casio controller. I learned that my Casio PX-560 sends MIDI out the 5-PIN port and the USB port so I have 2 signals for MIDI but I haven't tested anything (yet) involving 2 Apple devices in a rig.
    I should. iRig in the iPhone to the MIDi thru in the Casio maybe?
    USB to the Presonus and both MIDI IN/OUT to the Casio OUT/IN?

But I now have 2 cast off iPhone 5S and an iPad 2018 and storage have become a problem. I didn't buy enough so I'm removing big apps to free up space. So, I upgraded my iCloud and I'm shoving "unused apps" into the iCloud along with all the years of photos, videos and such.

But I'd like to see what IDAM can do for me or the extra USB ports on the iConnect 4 that many love.

I just discovered the Bluetooth MIDI nails down a connection and refuses any additional devices. Didn't think that would happen. But I learn something everyday. Soon I will fill that storage and start routing memories of my youth up into the Cloud.

Where was I? I really wish I remember so much of the details about MIDI I once knew. It's a master/slave network as I recall so
    "Who's the boss?" The Casio has MIDI Thru so maybe I can put that into play... Any clues or tips to either powered USB HUB for MIDI with IDAM into the Mac or create a larger 5-PIN MIDI network or add an extra Bluetooth network or maybe MIDI over Wi-Fi or RS-232 based Game Ports anyone?

Did I mention I love puzzles? Just documenting the possible ideas has really helped.

• NOTE: Listen to this chirb-it:

chirb.it/5LaHn4

Don't you wish you could use your Black Friday apps and make something like that? #bebest. the #bebest #sheis. (Look ma' Grandpa made a tweet).

• BACK FRIDAY TRACKS:

Post something you made with your Black Friday - Cyber Monday deals to give the developer some love and hopefully generate some more sales as a payback for the discount.

Here's something I made with my new Lumbeat toys:

iBassist using LINK
    Funk Drummer using LINK
    Afro-Latin Drummer using LINK in AB3 out to AUM

NOTE: This combo is the closest thing I've found to iReal Pro for IOS but the styles are more R&B, Rock. Input a Chord Chart and hit play and it will Loop for you to practice over top.

Colossus Piano running on an external iPhone 5S
    all mixed into an AUM subchannel A to record

Then Grand Finale used to process the AUM recording wave and convert it to 24-BIT MP4 which loads up into SoundCloud really fast by the way.

https://soundcloud.com/user-403688328/ibassist-jam-2

• edited November 2018

@Lady_App_titude said:

For the guys I would recommend either a perm or a mullet and long jacket with the sleeves pulled up too far as attire for listening to this :D Definitely a throwback to those DX7 days...

• @McDtracy said:
    BACK FRIDAY TRACKS:

Post something you made with your Black Friday - Cyber Monday deals to give the developer some love and hopefully generate some more sales as a payback for the discount.

Here's something I made with my new Lumbeat toys:

iBassist using LINK
    Funk Drummer using LINK
    Afro-Latin Drummer using LINK in AB3 out to AUM

NOTE: This combo is the closest thing I've found to iReal Pro for IOS but the styles are more R&B, Rock. Input a Chord Chart and hit play and it will Loop for you to practice over top.

Colossus Piano running on an external iPhone 5S
    all mixed into an AUM subchannel A to record

Then Grand Finale used to process the AUM recording wave and convert it to 24-BIT MP4 which loads up into SoundCloud really fast by the way.

https://soundcloud.com/user-403688328/ibassist-jam-2

I’m currently getting a lot of use out of the iBassist + lumbeat Drums atm too. :)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I’m currently getting a lot of use out of the iBassist + lumbeat Drums atm too. :)

I don't know if you ever used Band in Box on PC/Mac but this combo it has that kind of sound quality compared to the 8-bit instruments in iReal Pro.

Still hoping for a straight ahead jazz drummer app
    from Luis Martinez. I think the market might be bigger then one would think given all the instrumentalists in college Jazz Education programs practicing be-bop lines over standards changes.

• L> @McDtracy said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I don't know if you ever used Band in Box on PC/Mac but this combo it has that kind of sound quality compared to the 8-bit instruments in iReal Pro.

from Luis Martinez. I think the market might be bigger then one would think given all the instrumentalists in college Jazz Education programs practicing be-bop lines over standards changes.

No I’ve never used BIAB... I’m actually just using the MIDI out from the apps to drive an Alesis DM5 drum unit and bass on an electribe sampler, and keys on a circuit....

When I started out doing all this with computers years ago all I was looking for was a backing band to play my guitar to, this is finally it :)

I’m praying for Luis to make reggae drummer :)

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@[Deleted User] said:

My first Arturia synth was the CS-80 v, way back at least 10 years ago. I still like it a lot. Nothing else quite like it. Also the Mini Moog, and Jupiter 8 have been ones I've liked a lot over the years.

Of the newer stuff in the Collection, the DX7 is the only one I've really explored so far. One cool thing I've tried so far ... It apparently does a fairly decent job reading old DX7 patches as .syx. Better than FM8 for that, based on my initial tests. I also spent some time with their B3 and Clav last night. Which seem useful, but weird... Good, but it seems like almost every preset needs some tweaking. Didn't really expect them to be that good. My general impression is that Arturia's strength is modeling synths, not electro-mechanical or real instruments.

agreed, I never like the sound of their analogue gear and the keystep although awesome, mechanically hurt my poor piano playing hands.

just incase...

http://dxsysex.com/

• @AndyPlankton said:

For the guys I would recommend either a perm or a mullet and long jacket with the sleeves pulled up too far as attire for listening to this :D Definitely a throwback to those DX7 days...

:D

• @McDtracy said:

Have you messed around with any of the SessionBand Jazz apps? I forget how they work, but I remember having and deleting some of that at one time. Seemed like it might have been useful for something, at least as a study or idea tool. Can’t remember, but I remember the sounds were high quality..

• @McDtracy

Just in case you didn't know that iReal Pro is on iOS.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ireal-pro/id298206806

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@McDtracy said:

Have you messed around with any of the SessionBand Jazz apps? I forget how they work, but I remember having and deleting some of that at one time. Seemed like it might have been useful for something, at least as a study or idea tool. Can’t remember, but I remember the sounds were high quality..

I have. They have a complete rhythm section and was going to mention them as my 2nd favorite App type to replace iReal Pro.

But I still hope for Luis to cover this genre type since his drummer's have a lot of surprises with their subtle pattern shifts and musical fills.

• @McDtracy said

RE: Session Bands. They have a mixer and I can turn down all but the drummer to make custom loops I just haven't done the work yet of making my own loops for a drummer.

I also need to understand transport start/stop control options with MIDI Clock and/or Link using AB3 or AUM. I'm getting better. I made a track recently with the Gadget Gladstone Drum Machine for drums being activated in an AUM session. I actually bought BM3 when I heard there were Ludwig Drums on sale for $1. So, I might make some MIDI drum tracks with that for the target instrument and maybe get a MIDI drum kit to make it sound like I used to. Get that pride of the ownership of handcrafting the music "old school" style.