Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What? You can’t do full production on iOS? Really?

Comments

• totally love his mic adressing... :D o:)

• @Telefunky said:
    totally love his mic adressing... :D o:)

Yes, lol. Very good performance though, it didn't seem to do his vocal any harm.

• So I’m wondering how the critique would be on the Song of the Month thread. Didn’t see a lot of side-chaining or midi effects automation. Looks like a hack using Gadget like me.

• You can use an iPad to do what an iPad does best. Sorry but that's a damn wall of sound loop session and while a cool performance not even close to what I consider full production.

There is a reason people complain about hitting the barrier/roadblock that gets in the way of full production. It's like the tortoise and the hare, iOS is fast as hell off the mark but only the computer no matter what the age crosses the finish line.

• Some things iOS does it does great. Some things it makes you literally lose hair and go grey because it is so convoluted and painful.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    So I’m wondering how the critique would be on the Song of the Month thread. Didn’t see a lot of side-chaining or midi effects automation. Looks like a hack using Gadget like me.

@BroCoast said:
    You can use an iPad to do what an iPad does best. Sorry but that's a damn wall of sound loop session and while a cool performance not even close to what I consider full production.

There is a reason people complain about hitting the barrier/roadblock that gets in the way of full production. It's like the tortoise and the hare, iOS is fast as hell off the mark but only the computer no matter what the age crosses the finish line.

Simple, dry sounds can still be great music. Shit music can be well recorded and mastered by a mastering pro, but it’s still shit.

• There is no reason you can’t do full production on an iPad. There are always those who can’t or won’t work beyond any limitations. There are many great songs produced on gear less capable than an iPad.

• edited November 2018

@Beathoven said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    So I’m wondering how the critique would be on the Song of the Month thread. Didn’t see a lot of side-chaining or midi effects automation. Looks like a hack using Gadget like me.

@BroCoast said:
    You can use an iPad to do what an iPad does best. Sorry but that's a damn wall of sound loop session and while a cool performance not even close to what I consider full production.

Simple, dry sounds can still be great music. Shit music can be well recorded and mastered by a mastering pro, but it’s still shit.

I fail to see your point or relevance. iOS has it's strengths and weaknesses much the same as a computer or a tape machine does.

If you're persistent/patient you can make a great fully finished song on iOS but there becomes a point in time where it's weaknesses start to show. Commercially successful music made with iOS eventually ends up being finished in a computer, or it goes through the usual professional channels. eg. it gets mixed and mastered by professionals.

The Gorillaz ipad album is a good example of this. The writing and creation was done on an iPad and the arrangement, editing, mixing and mastering was done in professional studios.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Some things iOS does it does great. Some things it makes you literally lose hair and go grey because it is so convoluted and painful.

This

• Someone should invent a USB vinyl cutter. Then we can do full production.
    :D

• edited November 2018

Part of this too is if you are creative and develop a style, shtick or art direction (whatever you want to call it) that caters to your own personal strengths and weaknesses in tandem with that of the tools, then you are that much further ahead. No one is scoring the next Michael Bay film on an ipad, but that crazy hermit under the bridge banging out their own idea of 'hobo-core' just may be the next big thing.

• For me, the iPad is about the freedom to be away from the computer. There are many workarounds to achieve a great result and a plethora of apps to fit anyone's style. I myself am waiting for Nanostudio 2, which will make music production flow faster regarding my own production style.

The only limitation I see in iPad producing is having so many apps that are cheaper than their desktop counterparts. This neverending variety of what's out there makes a lot of us appoholics, and the more apps one purchases, the more one will be stuck wondering "Hmmm, which apps do I want to use today? GAH, I can't make a decision." It's like Netflix. You're on there searching for what you want to watch but end up wasting an hour or two before you reluctantly choose something. :lol:

• edited November 2018

Timely thread. Have an almost finished song and am going out of town. Dont feel like taking the laptop. Talking my 2017 iPad standard. What recommendations do you have for:
    High quality reel to reel simulation that takes a max 5% cpu
    Console simulating channel strip, all less than 1% cpu, need about 8 instances
    A plugin that can mono only the subbass
    Good amp simulation for my synths, definiely need dynamic speak emulation, less than 2% cpu, need 3 instances
    Optical compressor with blend, less than 3-4% cpu, need on all the buses
    Something similar to Valhalla plate, less than 5% cpu
    Or a good Ir loader and a tutorial on how to get my Bricasti irs in there and need to adjust eq and stretch/shrink on those too
    A good LUFS meter
    Tell me how to set noise shaping and dithering in Cubasis

Those all need to be au3 so I can use in Cubasis

• @Multicellular said:
    Timely thread. Have an almost finished song and am going out of town. Dont feel like taking the laptop. Talking my 2017 iPad standard. What recommendations do you have for:
    Good amp simulation for my synths, definiely need dynamic speak emulation, less than 2% cpu, need 3 instances
    Or a good Ir loader and a tutorial on how to get my Bricasti irs in there and need to adjust eq and stretch/shrink on those too
    A good LUFS meter

Brother you need the laptop for that. But I'll try... you just aren't going to get that cpu performance. It's like me asking for a realistic Studer on my iphone...

reel sim just use cubasis, none are like real tape
    channel strip use cubasis
    Doesn't exist
    bias something
    cubasis channel strip
    Audio Damage EOS2 or plate
    Fiddlicator
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL

good luck!

• @BroCoast said:

@Beathoven said:

@NoiseHorse said:

@BroCoast said:

I fail to see your point or relevance. iOS has it's strengths and weaknesses much the same as a computer or a tape machine does.

If you're persistent/patient you can make a great fully finished song on iOS but there becomes a point in time where it's weaknesses start to show. Commercially successful music made with iOS eventually ends up being finished in a computer, or it goes through the usual professional channels. eg. it gets mixed and mastered by professionals.

The Gorillaz ipad album is a good example of this. The writing and creation was done on an iPad and the arrangement, editing, mixing and mastering was done in professional studios.

Apologies. I thought my comment was pretty clear. My point is that the thing we call music is about harmonious melodies and chords, not about the science of mastering a track.

• @Beathoven said:

@BroCoast said:

@Beathoven said:

@NoiseHorse said:

@BroCoast said:

Apologies. I thought my comment was pretty clear. My point is that the thing we call music is about harmonious melodies and chords, not about the science of mastering a track.

Yeah a good song will sound good regardless of what it's done on. A good song on iOS is hard unless you're just singing and playing acoustic or piano!

• I‘ve been doing several full albums between ambient and prog on an iPad (with some external instruments but no PC). The last one has just been reviewed by a blog. The blogger didn’t know it was made on an iPad. I‘m quite proud of the review as it sort of proves that you CAN do a full album on an iPad and the listener don’t even realize the difference to a production done on a PC. Here‘s the review: https://www.aspiretodiscover.com/2018/11/review-martin-neuholds-writes-opus-to.html

• You tube Steve Lacy and Pete Johns

• @Telstar5 said:

You tube Steve Lacy and Pete Johns

Steve Lacy is a prime example of finishing things in a real studio. Yeah I think it's cool as he does his songs on a phone by the way!

• @Martinj said:
    I‘ve been doing several full albums between ambient and prog on an iPad (with some external instruments but no PC). The last one has just been reviewed by a blog. The blogger didn’t know it was made on an iPad. I‘m quite proud of the review as it sort of proves that you CAN do a full album on an iPad and the listener don’t even realize the difference to a production done on a PC. Here‘s the review: https://www.aspiretodiscover.com/2018/11/review-martin-neuholds-writes-opus-to.html

I like it a lot! Did you mix and master on iOS too?

• Like anything else, if you didn’t know you wouldn’t know. It’s down to the song and the skills of the producer, not the hardware/software. Some people will always fight something new while others embrace it.

• @BroCoast said:

I like it a lot! Did you mix and master on iOS too?

Yes, everything (except the contributions by the guests and the mastering of „On the Brink of Extinction“) done on an iPad Air 2.

And thanks a lot 😊

• edited November 2018

@Multicellular said:
    A good LUFS meter

You can do most of that in Auria with native plugins. Set your latency to 4096 at the mixing stage (not at the recording stage obviously) and you can run them all live without breaking a sweat (a current iPad should easily run 30-40 live plugins in Auria):

Reel to Reel: PSP Microwarmer
    Mono the sub-bass: Pro-Q2
    Amp sim: Saturn or Overloud
    Optical compression: PSP Old Timer or Pro-C2
    Reverb: Pro-R
    For your IRs: Convolution reverb
    LUFS meter: Pro L2
    Noise shaping/dithering: Pro L2

Point being that all of the above is possible on the iPad, but not in Cubasis at the present time. That's why most people who do final mixes on the iPad tend to use Auria.

I don't think doing full productions on the iPad is a new thing to be honest, those plugins have been available for years and the hardware has been more than capable since at least the Air 2 (if not before). And the reason I personally like to do everything on the iPad is to get away from the damn computer, which I otherwise spend my life on. So for me the iPad is a respite from the computer. I don't have to sit at my desk to enjoy my hobby/spare time.

• @richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:
    A good LUFS meter

You can do most of that in Auria with native plugins. Set your latency to 4096 at the mixing stage (not at the recording stage obviously) and you can run them all live without breaking a sweat (a current iPad should easily run 30-40 live plugins in Auria):

Point being that all of the above is possible on the iPad, but not in Cubasis at the present time. That's why most people who do final mixes on the iPad tend to use Auria.

I don't think doing full productions on the iPad is a new thing to be honest, those plugins have been available for years and the hardware has been more than capable since at least the Air 2 (if not before). And the reason I personally like to do everything on the iPad is to get away from the damn computer, which I otherwise spend my life on. So for me the iPad is a respite from the computer. I don't have to sit at my desk to enjoy my hobby/spare time.

Problem with Auria is it takes 4x the amount of time for me to do anything v Reaper. Cubasis is only like 2x.

• @Multicellular said:

@richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:
    A good LUFS meter

Problem with Auria is it takes 4x the amount of time for me to do anything v Reaper. Cubasis is only like 2x.

Probably just familiarity, I own Reaper on the desktop, I wouldn't say it's really any faster to get things done in than Auria.

• Yes it‘s possible of course since iPads, notebooks, desktops etc. are all just computers with a different workflow.
    But no listener even cares how a song was made.
    For me iOS is just the bottleneck and i‘m way faster on a notebook and i would miss 90% of my tools.
    But in the past i was quite happy with even just an iPhone.
    I just don‘t do it still because it‘s too unstable, slow and i can‘t get the right tools i need now.
    Otherwise if that change i could imagine doing all on an iPad, surface or whatever comes next.
    I think even to mention „it was made with iOS only“ is more like apologize. If you can‘t do amazing things with iOS apps these days you won‘t do much better with everything else :D

• @Cib said:
    Yes it‘s possible of course since iPads, notebooks, desktops etc. are all just computers with a different workflow.
    But no listener even cares how a song was made.
    For me iOS is just the bottleneck and i‘m way faster on a notebook and i would miss 90% of my tools.
    But in the past i was quite happy with even just an iPhone.
    I just don‘t do it still because it‘s too unstable, slow and i can‘t get the right tools i need now.
    Otherwise if that change i could imagine doing all on an iPad, surface or whatever comes next.
    I think even to mention „it was made with iOS only“ is more like apologize. If you can‘t do amazing things with iOS apps these days you won‘t do much better with everything else :D

That last sentence. B)

• edited November 2018

@richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:

@richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:
    A good LUFS meter

Probably just familiarity, I own Reaper on the desktop, I wouldn't say it's really any faster to get things done in than Auria.

Doea Auria have custom actions like macros? Track templates including routing templates? Copyable automation?

• @Multicellular said:

@richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:

@richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:
    A good LUFS meter

Doea Auria have custom actions like macros? Track templates including routing templates? Copyable automation?

No, it doesn't have those things. There's plenty of features I would like to see added. For example: a take system, the ability to re-order FX, and collapsible groups to name three. But I still don't think it's 4x slower than Reaper even though it isn't as feature-rich. It's subjective I know, but I enjoy working in Auria far more than I do in Reaper, of course YMMV.

• @richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:

@richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:

@richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:
    A good LUFS meter

No, it doesn't have those things. There's plenty of features I would like to see added. For example: a take system, the ability to re-order FX, and collapsible groups to name three. But I still don't think it's 4x slower than Reaper even though it isn't as feature-rich. It's subjective I know, but I enjoy working in Auria far more than I do in Reaper, of course YMMV.

Don’t know sbout Reaper but it’s at least 10 times slower than Logic...