Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

General things to do when using music making apps

edited November 2018 in App Tips and Tricks

There seems to be a lot of mythology when it comes to iOS settings when using apps regarding performance, it would be nice if we could put together a definitive list of what is actually effective.

Things like:

Airplane mode
Turning off wifi
Starting each session with a freshly restarted iPad
Not using MIDI clock and IAA or AU sync at the same time for one app
Keeping battery level above 65%
Holding down the home button to clear apps while on the power down screen

So what actually makes a difference?

Comments

• I’m pretty sure there’s a post about performance. I want to say it was @brambos who put it together. I don’t know it off the top of my head right now.

• edited November 2018

Thanks!

Edit: Ok that's basic stuff though and more related to battery life.

I think I'm taking a different enough approach here for this thread to be relevant. ;)

• The sarcastic bastard in me said in my inner voice: “make music” when I read the thread title.

• I can’t think of anything else at the moment.
    Also, I only make sure to do that if I am doing something critical or important.
    Just a quick jam and I skip that precautionary stuff.

If I am doing a session and the iPad craps out, I always do the soft reboot at least, and usually the full restart.

• After every session:

• Close all apps
    • Hold down the power button until the power off slider comes up, then hold down the home button until returned to the home screen.

I find I almost never need to restart my iOS devices if I do this, and I have very, very few audio or battery drain issues that way.