Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kuo: New iPad Mini Coming as Soon as Next Week's Event

Comments

• oh yeah! just a rumor, but I hope this is true.

The mini 2 was my first 64-bit iOS device. Many good times were had making music with that little powerhouse. It is such a great size, and with the same pixel count as the iPad it had a beautiful screen and so much more portable than the other iPads. I'll be tempted to get one of these for sure.

• edited October 2018

"Kuo says that Apple will launch a new version of the iPad mini, which has not seen an update in several years. Kuo says the device will feature an upgraded processor and a lower-cost panel.

Kuo does not know, however, if Apple will announce it during the media event or launch it sometime later in the year/early next year, but if an updated model is in the works, it makes sense for it to launch alongside the iPad Pro ."

Somehow this seems weird. Low cost model somehow sounds like an iPad Mini SE. Hopefully a memory and storage boost and and more speedy processor, probably a A10 same is in the iPhone 2018. Looks like the same budget trick as with that model. Probably iPad Mini 2 Form factor.

Would rather see an iPad Mini Pro with a same processor and same camera as iPhone XR.

• @greengrocer said:
    Would rather see an iPad Mini Pro with a same processor and same camera as iPhone XR.

absolutely, at this point it could follow the 2018 iPad (not great) or it could follow iPhone design and lose the bezels, get a better processor.

If it has the "lower-cost panel" I'm guessing I'll be disappointed and it will be more like the 2018 iPad.

• Sweet, I’ll be buying this rather than the 2019 7th gen iPad (assuming their is one) if it has a10 or higher. My mini 4 is showing it’s age a hair and I adore the form factor

• iPhone Mini -- 7.9 inches.
    iPhone XS Max -- 6.5 inches.

Buy an iPhone. There's not much difference in size and you'll have a studio in your pocket :smile:

• @Audiojunkie said:
    iPhone Mini -- 7.9 inches.

Buy an iPhone. There's not much difference in size and you'll have a studio in your pocket :smile:

Fewer apps though.

• edited October 2018

@Audiojunkie said:

You won’t get tablet-optimized apps or the tablet experience on an iPhone. No Cubasis. Plus there isn’t a lot you can do on a phone. You need a tablet to consume it’s full potential.

• If patterning 2 bm3 Samplr egoist and turnado were on iPhone I’d go for the Xs max for sure

• @MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

You won’t get tablet-optimized apps or the tablet experience on an iPhone. No Cubasis. Plus there isn’t a lot you can do on a phone. You need a tablet to consume it’s full potential.

Sorry, not true. Of course bigger space is nice but for some things, music related, the iPhone is much better than these 12.9 even.
    There are more apps for iPad and even more for windows/mac but that doesn‘t render iPhones useless here.
    You don‘t live up to your name :D

• Why do you say the iPhone is much better at some things, then give zero examples ?

• edited October 2018

@Turntablist said:
    Why do you say the iPhone is much better at some things, then give zero examples ?

Because we are going to repeat the same things in this forum every few days ;)
    Apps like ThumbJam, where you can shake it for vibrato or tremolo, works for me better on iPhone.
    3D touch!! Makes the iPhone 3 dimensions more expressive and offers full MPE.
    There are a lot other apps which works better for me since it‘s also very uncomfortable to hold an iPad with one hand and play with another. If i would want to lay an iPad down and break my neck or lay it on my legs i feel more comfortable with a notebook anyway.
    For me (and that is just me maybe and a few others) the iPad is a half baked thing while it is of course more versatile in terms of number of music apps and other areas. But there is already so much on iPhone and we get 100 of everything now. The things i miss on iPhone are also not available for iPads yet for me.
    O.k. since i‘m sadly on the latest iOS i miss one good DAW which works for me on iPhone.
    But NS2 will cover it.
    I own nearly all other major iPad DAW‘s and most were terrible to use for me.
    Of course that is about my workflow but you can for sure produce the same fine things on an iPhone when you really want. 10 synths or FX more of the same doesn‘t help further.

• @Cib said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Sorry, not true. Of course bigger space is nice but for some things, music related, the iPhone is much better than these 12.9 even.
    There are more apps for iPad and even more for windows/mac but that doesn‘t render iPhones useless here.

I’m emphasizing on the user experience (UX). There is a difference between a mobile app and a tablet-optimized app (not scaled-up mobile apps you find on android). Mobile apps result in too much swiping/scrolling back and forth while tablet apps have everything laid out on a single screen. Some cool apps exist only on iPad and are not made for the iPhone. Tablet apps are more usable. Mobile apps are too tiny.

Yes, I create my music videos 100% on iPad without using a laptop, camera, etc. :smile:

• @Cib said:

@Turntablist said:
    Why do you say the iPhone is much better at some things, then give zero examples ?

Because we are going to repeat the same things in this forum every few days ;)
    Apps like ThumbJam, where you can shake it for vibrato or tremolo, works for me better on iPhone.
    3D touch!! Makes the iPhone 3 dimensions more expressive and offers full MPE.
    There are a lot other apps which works better for me since it‘s also very uncomfortable to hold an iPad with one hand and play with another. If i would want to lay an iPad down and break my neck or lay it on my legs i feel more comfortable with a notebook anyway.
    For me (and that is just me maybe and a few others) the iPad is a half baked thing while it is of course more versatile in terms of number of music apps and other areas. But there is already so much on iPhone and we get 100 of everything now. The things i miss on iPhone are also not available for iPads yet for me.
    O.k. since i‘m sadly on the latest iOS i miss one good DAW which works for me on iPhone.
    But NS2 will cover it.
    I own nearly all other major iPad DAW‘s and most were terrible to use for me.
    Of course that is about my workflow but you can for sure produce the same fine things on an iPhone when you really want. 10 synths or FX more of the same doesn‘t help further.

Aaah ok, some things are better for you, agreed, for you, some things are better, for me, there are zero things that are better, i thought you sooke of things that where better for evrybody, my bad.

• @Audiojunkie said:

Don't forget the price difference will be huge. Say $300 vs $750. Besides that if you're into audio iPads are the way the go. btw Also smart move from Apple to offer a low cost machine, especially great for kids and get them into the Apple eco system. Curious if the mini will work with the Pencil.

• @MobileMusic said:

@Cib said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

I’m emphasizing on the user experience (UX). There is a difference between a mobile app and a tablet-optimized app (not scaled-up mobile apps you find on android). Mobile apps result in too much swiping/scrolling back and forth while tablet apps have everything laid out on a single screen. Some cool apps exist only on iPad and are not made for the iPhone. Tablet apps are more usable. Mobile apps are too tiny.

Right try apps from ie ApeSoft on an iPhone. Besides that there is a huge group of people from 40 or older that are in need glasses. iPads or Mini's cover this group for which smaller iDevices are just not giving a good experience. Especially younger people tend to forget this.

• @MobileMusic said:

@Cib said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Yes, I create my music videos 100% on iPad without using a laptop, camera, etc. :smile:

But you also can create a film score on an iPhone....if you want. That´s all what i mean. The limitation is mainly the user (or for specific genres where i see no problem to do the same on iPhone as on iPad).
    At least i could create 2 albums and 200 tracks even on a 3.5" screen in the past.
    Is an iPad better for many applications and many people...sure....like a notebook is better than an iPad for many.
    At the end it´s all just software. No one care (beside the hardcore iPad only musicians :) ).

• edited October 2018

@mannix said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Cib said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Right try apps from ie ApeSoft on an iPhone. Besides that there is a huge group of people from 40 or older that are in need glasses. iPads or Mini's cover this group for which smaller iDevices are just not giving a good experience. Especially younger people tend to forget this.

I´m not young :D But i find tablets indeed terrible to use anyway. I like my iPhone big these days too indeed and i wish i could get a new 17" macbook. I have a bad neck and back and starring down and holding iPad is the most unhealthy thing ever.

• @MobileMusic said:

@Cib said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

When we are talking about an inch difference, those arguments don't fly. I might agree with an iPad pro though, but then you'd need really big pockets. :wink:

Seriously though, the gap has narrowed. The only real difference between a mini and an iPhone is that the mini can run iPad apps. I would love to see the two iOS siblings unified into one.

• @mannix said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Cib said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Apesoft is an awesome company, and I happen to have all of their apps that they offer for the iPhone. I have no problems with any of them. :wink:

• I'm all in for this, provided it has a headphone jack.

• @Audiojunkie said:

@mannix said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Cib said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Apesoft is an awesome company, and I happen to have all of their apps that they offer for the iPhone. I have no problems with any of them. :wink:

Certainly Apesoft makes awesome apps. But on an iPhone they are just to small for me, just can't handle their GUI on a small screen.

• edited October 2018

Desktop users don’t respect laptop users, which don’t respect iPad users, which don’t respect iPhone users.... lol so many things are like that in life. Same thing with surgeons, doctors, nurses... isn’t there only one iOS community? Everything can be done on an iPhone that’s a fact, and I’ve seen more and more users interested by this platform recently for extra mobility and playability. Less apps, but essentials are there, and less is often more. Workflows are pretty similar between iPads and iPhones, this is iOS music. The tool don’t make the musician, not being able or not liking using an iPhone for music making don’t make it useless or means others can’t do something valuable technically, musically and artistically with this wonderful pocket studio.

Great to see a new iPad mini for iPad lovers!! :)

• "Kuo says the device will feature an upgraded processor and a lower-cost panel."

Would be nice to see four speakers too, a mini Pro of sorts.

• I will love to see a iPad Mini SE but I will not hold my breath...

Anyways it will be probably expensive and no pencil so if I would buy another iPad in the future (iPhone will be an SE) it will be the new iPad with pencil. ATM I don’t need pro even if Apple releases iLogic. I prefer the desktop for these things and bugs have broke my trust on iOS for live gigs totally...

• @Audiojunkie said:

When we are talking about an inch difference, those arguments don't fly. I might agree with an iPad pro though, but then you'd need really big pockets. :wink:

The thing is you can't just subtract 6.5 from 7.9 because you are talking about different aspect ratios. The Max's 6.5" 19.5:9 screen gives you 16.08 sq. in. while the Mini 4's 7.9" 4:3 screen yields 29.96 sq. in. Close to double the area.

• @DougW said:
    @Audiojunkie said:

The thing is you can't just subtract 6.5 from 7.9 because you are talking about different aspect ratios. The Max's 6.5" 19.5:9 screen gives you 16.08 sq. in. while the Mini 4's 7.9" 4:3 screen yields 29.96 sq. in. Close to double the area.

Besides that the Max is $1150 a new Mini will cost around $300 :)

• Pencil support would make this a no-brainer for me. I am so used to my mini 4 size but damn itd be sweet to edit patterns in bm3 with a pencil. Definitely not holding my breath for a RAM bump just yet but I would love that too.

• This whole iPhone vs iPad mini debate is surely defunct in that even if the mini is similar in size to the largest iPhone, many of the iPad apps won’t run on it. Or have I got this wrong. Ie beatmaker 3 cubasis etc. So you have to buy the iPad.

• @universe said:
    This whole iPhone vs iPad mini debate is surely defunct in that even if the mini is similar in size to the largest iPhone, many of the iPad apps won’t run on it. Or have I got this wrong. Ie beatmaker 3 cubasis etc. So you have to buy the iPad.

Don’t come round here with your fancy “logic” and “common sense,” mister.

• edited October 2018

Those posts are so sterile, and so negative about iPhone dedicated users in this specific case. This is not music talking, this is trolling. This is why I usually never contribute to those threads, I don’t like talking to walls.