Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to use the iPad as an "effect pedal"

Never dared to ask this questions because it seems so dumb, but I really want to know how to do it, especially on a budget. Do I really have to buy an audio interface? Most of them are pretty expensive, I reckon. Can't I simply connect something to my headphone jack and then process that sound? I mean I can process sounds of my headset, is there any way to lead "any" sound through the headphone jack?

I have got a volca fm and would like to add some reverb and delay to it. Also, I think I would like to simply play around with some effect apps and process preexisting songs.

If the only way is an audio interface, which is the best cost sensitive option?

Also, maybe this thread could be renamed "questions which don't deserve its own thread" after mine was answered... because I was searching for something like this.

Comments

• You can try on budget with splitter cables (mic/headphones) but then you will find the first con: mono input. In this path you have also iRig ik multimedia.

The cheapest solution will depend if you want something more complex than just an input/ouput or what.
    from iRig Pro ... Behringer UCA and similar to complete audio interface solutions (with midi input output and so)

So first of all decide what do you really need and what use you are going to give it... and expectations from the "product".

Take in consideration that if you just need a delay filter fx to add your volca the most straightforward solution will be just buying a monotone delay or cheap true pedal fx.

• edited October 2018

Don't worry you've been clever enough to ask before buying anything that could not suits your needs... :)

So, yes you may use your headphone input to input audio!
    Use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWZJEQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bulletsandbon-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B003VWZJEQ

I think you can't find any cheaper solution...I'd be just careful with the dynamic of the Volca that might saturate quickly the input...

Just one thing, you won't get midi sync with that, and I guess you might want to play an internal sequencer into the iPad ?
    If yes, I'd recommend this + CCK3
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/m_audio_m_track_2x2m.htm

More expensive, but something really good for a start.

• This might be a pretty simple solution for you
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Teleport--orange-omec-teleport-guitar-audio-interface

I had one, and it worked with iPad, but I later realized I needed (non-usb) midi as well so I got an iRig Duo.

• I'd start by throwing it to the floor ...

• @Multicellular Forgot about the OMTEC, seems to have a very nice sound, for my info, is it better sounding than the iRig Duo ?

• Headphone jack doesent sound very good. Usable used audio interfaces are like 50-60€, look for steinberg ur12 or focusrite scarlett solo if you want to cheap out, but still have decent sound

• edited October 2018

@crony said:
    @Multicellular Forgot about the OMTEC, seems to have a very nice sound, for my info, is it better sounding than the iRig Duo ?

I would say both are fairly clear sounding, neither seem as free from coloration as compared to my desktop
    unit (Focusrite 18i20), but the big difference is OMEC was more geared toward guitar/instrument level signals. I couldn't find a way to adjust it. Granted I didn't search super hard because of the need for midi, but I looked at the manual and asked on some forums at least. And granted, this is exactly how they've marketed it, not really a criticism. It is intended as a pedalboard guitar/bass interface. I was the one trying to use it more like a regular audio interface. The iRig seems to be more flexible as far as impedances go. i.e. not hearing any (subtle) distortion feeding it hot signals. And it outputs a nice line level out.

• No matter what you connect via “mic in” associated with the headphone jack it’s going to be really really noisy!!! Especially with anything line level. I was messing with the iRig 2 by IK and a Volca Beats just yesterday, but it was only as a test so the noise wasn’t a severe issue, the noise was severe however. You’d need to get the app Brusfri just to stop the noise, but I was testing on an older iPad that won’t run all of that.

A CCK (for USB) and the Behringer UCA202/220 might be your best bet really to keep it cheap. It’s going to cost as much as a really cheap effects pedal in total so you know. Or try those lightning IK interfaces like mentioned above and then you won’t need to also buy the CCK.

I’m assuming since you are using it with a Volca that you don’t need it to be stompbox style? I personally don’t usually like pressing stompboxes when they aren’t on the floor and being stomped on.

• You can get a reasonable signal into the headphone/mic thing with a splitter cable. Fine for messing with effects on a volca imo but I don't mind noise all that much in that context. You just have to watch your gain staging. If you try to turn the headphones up too loud, there's too much crosstalk.

For sure though, if you can scrounge up the scratch for an interface + USB->Lightening adapter, you will be much happier.

This one might fit the bill. Bonus that it's already set up for your volca's 1/8" audio jack (one less adapter to buy). Never tried it though. https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-iMic-original-Adapter/dp/B003Y5D776/ There are also really cheap "USB Audio Adapters" out there but they generally have a mono input and are designed for headset mics. I reckon those would still sound better than the default mic input.

Here's the adapter folks are referencing (sometimes called the CCK3). https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter This version is $10 cheaper but it won't let you charge your device while it's in use. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Craigslist (etc) have tons of used interfaces for great prices. You just want to make sure that the one you get is 'class compliant' which means you don't need to install drivers to use it (since you can't install drivers on an ios device). Might as well bring your device with you if go look for one—it should work as soon as you plug it in.

• I picked up one of those irig stomps for 6 bucks last year. Not the greatest quality going into the headphone jack but still perfectly acceptable. The noise level is about the same as any old crapfi mixer like a Teac Model 2.

• @ToMess said:
    Headphone jack doesent sound very good. Usable used audio interfaces are like 50-60€, look for steinberg ur12 or focusrite scarlett solo if you want to cheap out, but still have decent sound

I never really get that, surely you have to take audio cables out of your audio interface and into your mixer anyway. Why not just go from your headphone jack and straight into your mixer?

• Orange makes the OMEC teleport, which is an audio interface in pedal form.

https://orangeamps.com/omec-teleport/

• edited October 2018

@sdesign said:

@ToMess said:
    Headphone jack doesent sound very good. Usable used audio interfaces are like 50-60€, look for steinberg ur12 or focusrite scarlett solo if you want to cheap out, but still have decent sound

I never really get that, surely you have to take audio cables out of your audio interface and into your mixer anyway. Why not just go from your headphone jack and straight into your mixer?

The headphone output is quite good, but may not match the mixer's input impedance, which may cause a slight loss in quality. But it's good enough for live use anyway.
    If you also use the internal input (intended for a headset mic) then it captures noise from the local electronic and there's significant crosstalk from the output lines - in particular if a guitar amp sim amplifies the signal a lot.

• The OMEC looks cool and it's not too expensive but hot damn those are some terrible specs. It's not a slight against Orange in particular (lookin at u 2 Roland) but high performing ADC/DAC is so inexpensive these days. You can't put early 2000's converters in products anymore.

• For some cheap/instant fun I would certainly consider the original iRig. It’s available on UK Amazon for less than £8.00. Once the OP moves over to getting an interface (and for almost all interfaces a Camera Comnection Kit too) the cost are going to mount up.

• @Telefunky said:

@sdesign said:

@ToMess said:

The headphone output is quite good, but may not match the mixer's input impedance, which may cause a slight loss in quality. But it's good enough for live use anyway.
    If you also use the internal input (intended for a headset mic) then it captures noise from the local electronic and there's significant crosstalk from the output lines - in particular if a guitar amp sim amplifies the signal a lot.

I’m using the headphone jack as an output connected straight to my mixer (just for using iPad synths alongside my hardware synths). Is there any benefit in going from the lightning port to USB audio interface to mixer in this situation?

• edited October 2018

You may try to setup the mixer's headphone out to exactly the same level as a the iPads headphone out - at least as good as it gets subjectively.
    (different output level can be very betraying)
    Then audition some critical audio on the iPad and the mixer.
    If no loss in signal is perceived, then the advantage of an interface is likely negligible.
    Except for latency which can be significant on newer iPads/later IOS versions - as reported here. Setting the iPad's audio to 'measurement mode' may help, but I'm still on IOS 9, so can't verify this.

But it's easy to check if measuremnt mode has an influence: use a bass heavy sound.
    Measurement mode removes a 100Hz lowcut (at least on the mic input), so if your output delivers the same amount of bass, it's not relevant.

USB Interfaces have a wide range of quality - hard to make a general statement.
    Apple's internal converters are well received even in the 'audiophile' community.
    I'm using an iConnectivity Audio 4+ which I prefer to the internal headphone jack, but that is affected by the afforementioned level phenomenon: the interface has more power to drive the cans.
    My 2nd interface is an Audient ID22 which is clearly better than the iCA in resolution and depth of sound - you may expect similiar results from RME or Apogee, but all of those are clearly beyond budget devices.
    Imho such are not critical for synth recording, but rather for acoustic sources and mix details.

ps: if you add a high quality interface to the iPad and feed it's output to a mixer, then that mixer's input stages will have some influence on the signal, as well as it's converters (if you digitize the result for a desktop DAW)

it may read a bit confusing with all those variables, but that's just the way it is. ;)
    (imho there are no current mixers in the budget domain that feature any particular sound or 'tone' worth having, like it was with some vintage gear)

• @sdesign said:

@ToMess said:

Because that jqck gives only one shitty input and just ok output. Also there is no control over anything. Mixers are dated for most uses, even tho some still use them when they dont need one. Just get an interface with more ins and use AUM

• Just remember it is an iPad and don't try to 'stomp' on it, sure it'll turn the FX off, but you'll probably never get them back on :D

On a more serious note, if you do decide to go the interface route, I have been using one of these for a long time and it works a treat, and at £17 (plus the cost of the CCK) is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

• The question is: how much do you care about quality? If you care about audio quality, the $60-$100 or a bit more or do for a decent audio interface are worth it. The super cheap adapters like the original iRig are 'ok' if you don't mind noise and crosstalk.

• The $9 irig original would be my choice. Ive found it acceptable with send effects.

If it doesnt offer what you need you can always use it with a contact mic to drive Beepstreet’s amazing Impaktor app.

• I would recommend saving and buying an iRig HD 2. It's the right tool for the job. It has the advantage of having an amp out to plug into any regular guitar amp. Only interface I've ever seen with that feature.

• edited October 2018

I basically need MIDI into the iPad via USB from my hardware sequencer, and audio out from the iPad into a channel on my mixer. So I’ve just used a CCK for the USB MIDI in and then audio out of the headphone jack into my mixer. It seems to sound just fine. I did think maybe I could get one of those Korg plugKeys and have audio out (then into mixer via audio cables) and MIDI IN using just the lightning port, but this would mean not using USB MIDI and having to find a spare MIDI DIN Out somewhere and having the iPad at the end of a MIDI Chain which can cause problems in itself. Would it really make much of a difference to audio quality?

• @sdesign said:
    I basically need MIDI into the iPad via USB from my hardware sequencer, and audio out from the iPad into a channel on my mixer. So I’ve just used a CCK for the USB MIDI in and then audio out of the headphone jack into my mixer. It seems to sound just fine. I did think maybe I could get one of those Korg plugKeys and have audio out (then into mixer via audio cables) and MIDI IN using just the lightning port, but this would mean not using USB MIDI and having to find a spare MIDI DIN Out somewhere and having the iPad at the end of a MIDI Chain which can cause problems in itself. Would it really make much of a difference to audio quality?

For sure, the headphone out is absolutely fine for most things. You just have to set the level correctly for the input source. Maybe not so much for a solo violin recorded through a nice input chain but for a synth or 5 in a mix... totally usable.

That's not really the entire question here though. In this case, the OP also wants to use the headphone jack for input which can lead to crosstalk problems, depending on the output level. If you can keep the headphone level low and apply a lot of boost on the output amp, it works fine.

For old cheap interfaces via the headphone jack, see if you can find the original Peavey ampkit link instead of the original iRig. It is functionally the same as original iRig but uses a AA battery to create a buffer that helps minimize the crosstalk problem significantly.

• @sdesign said:

iK Multimedia has devices that function as both a MIDI and audio interface via lightning: iRig Pro and iRig Pro Duo.

• @sdesign said:

Stick to what you've got. If you plan on live work then invest in a Radial JDI or AV box.

• edited October 2018

Prosonus itwo for budget and good quality. Two xlr-1/4" inputs as well as midi in/out. Works with iphones and ipads great

• Didn't expect so many answers, you people rock!

Already got a CCK, by the way. Wanted to use my Keystep with my iPad as well :)

Also... I didn't want to stomp on my iPad. I don't even necessarily need those stomp buttons... because, why should I. All my gear (the volca only) is on my table in front of me. TBH I don't really understand those stompboxes unless you are a guitarist or are playing live.

Will read all those answers again and try to understand everything and look at my options. So far I noted that the mic in idea may not be very smart. Though I think I do not care that much about soundquality.