Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Virtual MIDI ports not showing in Audiobus 3

I’ve created some virtual MIDI ports in MidiFlow (as I need to convert some midi cc values). These showed up in Audiobus just fine in the MIDI input slot and everything worked fine. But now the Virtual MIDI Ports have just dissappeared. They still exist as I checked in Cubasis and AUM and they can both see/use the ports just fine. I’ve tried restarting the iPad but that still doesn’t help. Any ideas what might be causing it?

Comments

• It’s strange but if I creat new ports with new names then AB will see them, but if I create virtual ports with the same names as the missing ports then it doesn’t see them even though other apps do. I think that AB crashed before it stopped seeing the ports, it’s almost like any ports with those names (either fully same same or just containing the same string of letters) are being purposely ignored by AB, they they’ve been put on the naughty list haha

• Interesting! What are some example port names? Audiobus does hide the Virtual MIDI ports of apps that already support either Audiobus or IAA MIDI, so as not to confuse matters. Could be there's a false positive being flagged here.

• @Michael said:
    Interesting! What are some example port names? Audiobus does hide the Virtual MIDI ports of apps that already support either Audiobus or IAA MIDI, so as not to confuse matters. Could be there's a false positive being flagged here.

Port names were Trouble and Poison, and anything related like Troub or Troublemaker

• Ah. Yep. Troublemaker supports MIDI, as does Poison-202, so AB thinks those MIDI ports belong to those apps, and hides them (because Core MIDI offers no way to work out what ports belong to what app, AB has to guess). Not a perfect solution, but I haven't thought of a better one. Can you just use different names?

• Just verified. AB3 sees virtual MIDI ports just fine but if the port's name starts with the same string as a compatible app, it hides it.

That is, a virtual MIDI port named AUM TEST will not be visible but a port named TEST AUM shows up just fine.

Personally, though I appreciate it's confusing if you don't know it, I think the trade off is worth it.

• @Michael said:
    Ah. Yep. Troublemaker supports MIDI, as does Poison-202, so AB thinks those MIDI ports belong to those apps, and hides them (because Core MIDI offers no way to work out what ports belong to what app, AB has to guess). Not a perfect solution, but I haven't thought of a better one. Can you just use different names?

Yes it’s no problem to use other names, and its pretty clever what you’ve done to prevent being overwhelmed with virtual ports for everything. Makes a lot of sense now I’m aware of the “feature’.

• @sdesign said:

@Michael said:
    Ah. Yep. Troublemaker supports MIDI, as does Poison-202, so AB thinks those MIDI ports belong to those apps, and hides them (because Core MIDI offers no way to work out what ports belong to what app, AB has to guess). Not a perfect solution, but I haven't thought of a better one. Can you just use different names?

Yes it’s no problem to use other names, and its pretty clever what you’ve done to prevent being overwhelmed with virtual ports for everything. Makes a lot of sense now I’m aware of the “feature’.

What I really need is some to create a midi filter AU that converts midi cc’s then I wouldn’t even be faffing around with virtual ports :-)

• @sdesign, if you are open to doing some programming you might find Stream Byter to be helpful. It can be run as an Au effect and can be used, among other things, to:

"Remap channels, notes, controllers (anything MIDI)
    Filter MIDI events coarsely or finely"

The developer is also very helpful at helping us mere mortals work out some of the more complex things.

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

Yep, StreamByter is ideal for this kind of thing. Its only shortcoming is it doesn't have preset saves, so you end up needing to either keep your scripts in the notes app, then copy/paste them, or to recall saved AB3 sessions containing the scripts.

Most remapping and filtering tasks can be accomplished with one line of code. If you've never done any programming it can be intimidating, but worth it to learn.

A few examples:

# remap all controller events coming in on channel 1 to channel 2
    B0 = B1

# clone all controller events coming in on channel 1 to channel 2
    B0 = B1 +C

# remap controller 7 on channel 0 to controller 6 on channel 1
    B0 07 = B1 06

# remap note C-2 to program change 0 (on channel 1)
    90 00 = C0 00