Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How are you using Beatstep/other MIDI controllers with AUM etc?

I’ve been testing a Beatstep as a MIDI controller for AUM. So far I’ve used the knobs for channel volume and bus-send amount, and the pads for mute, and record enable on channels.

I have it set so each vertical row of beatstep controllers corresponds to one channel in AUM.

I can’t help thinking that I’m missing a lot though. It seems like I could do more, but can’t think of what.

How are you folks using Beastep to control apps on iOS?

Comments

• I’ve also just realized that I can use the Beatstep’s non-USB MIDI out to add knobs to the Eventide H9, which should be pretty wild. Especially as the Beatstep has more knobs and pads than I need.

• I'm using it this way:

• Pads trigger notes. Shift+Big Knob to transpose.
      In AUM I use BeatHawk as sound module and seq for other AU synths. Switching channels on the the unit will address individual channels in BH.

• Knobs send CCs.
      I don't have predefined layout for them. As the jam evolves I would teach AU Synth parameter I need.

My typical jam would look like BH first four chs with internal sounds. Then few chs sequencing AU synths. Then to create some "static movement" I would teach some AU Synth parameters on their own chs (eg. Sunrizer sequenced from BH ch4 - BS set to transmit on ch4 - teach Sunrizer Env Decay using AUM midi learn - record the knob movement into BH seq). Then I would teach up to 16 parameters for real-time tweaks ( filters, sends etc) on an unused ch - usually ch16 as my Air2 never lasts for 16 sounds.

This way I can quickly play in notes, record tweaks and have 16 knobs on ch16 for overall jamming.

• edited October 2018

@mistercharlie said:
    I’ve also just realized that I can use the Beatstep’s non-USB MIDI out to add knobs to the Eventide H9, which should be pretty wild. Especially as the Beatstep has more knobs and pads than I need.

On BS you have quick acces to way more than needed controls. 16 x 16 ch x 16 presets.
    The downside is jumping values when switching between channels, presets.

PS: and the same for pads.

• edited October 2018

Additionally when BS selected as midi source in AUM midi control, AUMs Transport will be controlled by BS trasport buttons. As well if AUM set to send midi clock and BS ext sync is on, the built in seq will run in sync - which is pretty tight from my experience - and that clock signal can be sent to external hardware via BS din midi out.

• A better question is are you guys talking about the vanilla beatstep or the pro ?

• Mine is vanilla.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    A better question is are you guys talking about the vanilla beatstep or the pro ?

Vanilla

• I haven’t used it much for sending notes yet, but that’s on my list of stuff to check. I would like to use it for chords though, which may be possible with the right app.

I also think that it will be killer in combination with the new MIDI learn and MIDI switching coming up in AudioBus.

• @recccp said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I’ve also just realized that I can use the Beatstep’s non-USB MIDI out to add knobs to the Eventide H9, which should be pretty wild. Especially as the Beatstep has more knobs and pads than I need.

On BS you have quick acces to way more than needed controls. 16 x 16 ch x 16 presets.
    The downside is jumping values when switching between channels, presets.

PS: and the same for pads.

This. It's so quick to change presets or the midi channel on the BS (and BSP) that you have a lot of options right there. For instance, you could extend your AUM preset by setting up a second preset (or MIDI Channel) to control 2X8 AUX Send amounts.

• I'm using my Beatstep just for Flux:FX. It's the biggest piece of junk but at the same time so useful. Back when it first came out I was so annoyed with it that I threw it at a wall, then used it as a cricket bat. It's maybe the most rugged controller ever made!

It's super fun to sequence the notes that turn FX on and off in random mode.

• I’ve been setting it up to work with and Eventide H9, and it’s pretty great so far. All the H9’s “knobs” get a physical knob, then I have pads to move up and down through presets, activate/bypass the unit, tap tempo, tuner, and performance/hot switch.

I can’t figure out how to assign the BS’s big knob to pitchwheel control, to use as an expression “pedal,” but it works surprisingly well. I have my pedals on a desk, not the floor, so this is perfect.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’ve been setting it up to work with and Eventide H9, and it’s pretty great so far. All the H9’s “knobs” get a physical knob, then I have pads to move up and down through presets, activate/bypass the unit, tap tempo, tuner, and performance/hot switch.

I can’t figure out how to assign the BS’s big knob to pitchwheel control, to use as an expression “pedal,” but it works surprisingly well. I have my pedals on a desk, not the floor, so this is perfect.

PW is a dedicated midi message with higher resolution. I don't think BS does that type of message.

• @BroCoast said:
    It's the biggest piece of junk but at the same time so useful.

Agreed, on paper it seems good. But I've struggled to find a role for it. The pads are not great but ok, the knob action is the worst I ever experienced. But it can be powered from iPad and packed with so many useful features...
    It was gathering dust in a past year, and recently became center piece of my bedtime jam sessions.

• edited October 2018

@recccp said:

@BroCoast said:
    It's the biggest piece of junk but at the same time so useful.

Agreed, on paper it seems good. But I've struggled to find a role for it. The pads are not great but ok, the knob action is the worst I ever experienced. But it can be powered from iPad and packed with so many useful features...
    It was gathering dust in a past year, and recently became center piece of my bedtime jam sessions.

If you want to do a filter sweep on those knobs it's like 10 full rotations. I can deal with the pads for turning things on and off or launching scenes but that is it. Too much double triggering to play as an instrument, although sometimes it behaves which is weird.

He must be playing some perfect prototype. I felt so misled by that damn video...